UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> 2014 NBA Mock Draft

5/26/14 6:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cotton
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The game is won with the wing player. Bigs are not nearly as important. A PF that is more of a stretch 4 that can board is more important than a center. The position is obsolete due to the rule changes.
5/26/14 7:24 PM
UGCTT_The Project
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Hornets fan. If we pass up Nik Stauskas for Dougie, I will punch a puppy. We need outside shooting as well as shot creation. Dougie isn't creating for himself on a high level in the NBA. Nik has range and way more upside. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 8:09 PM
HenryO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HernanCortes - 
HenryO -
HernanCortes - I think Parker is definitely the top player in the draft, but I'm basing this off his performance while at Duke. Cavs most likely as I said will take the center from Kansas, but I agree they should take Wiggins.

Hopefully the spurs draft a good 4. Probably an overseas guy. Phone Post 3.0

I dont Parker can guard anyone in the NBA
We won't know until he is actually in the NBA. I just think he is a solid pick for any team, and definitely top 3 pick. Phone Post 3.0

Definitely looks like guaranteed buckets every night

A good team will build around that
5/26/14 8:20 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cotton - The game is won with the wing player. Bigs are not nearly as important. A PF that is more of a stretch 4 that can board is more important than a center. The position is obsolete due to the rule changes.
Unless if you have LeBron, it's almost impossible to win without a very strong inside presence for rebounding and defense. Actually I don't know of anyone who's done it in the playoffs. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 8:23 PM
Region Rat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO -
Region Rat - Wiggins can't dribble or shoot. He's not going to be much in the league. Top shelf defender down the road. Phone Post 3.0

How can you watch Wiggins play and think he cant shoot.

Dumb as fuck
Because he can't shoot! What's his 3%. Under 30? don't be so mad brah Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 8:27 PM
Cotton
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Cotton - The game is won with the wing player. Bigs are not nearly as important. A PF that is more of a stretch 4 that can board is more important than a center. The position is obsolete due to the rule changes.
Unless if you have LeBron, it's almost impossible to win without a very strong inside presence for rebounding and defense. Actually I don't know of anyone who's done it in the playoffs. Phone Post 3.0

The only true center left playing is Hibbert and he is totally inconsistent. You need some size and rebounding, but not from the 5 IMO. It's nice if you have it, but you can't build around it today.
5/26/14 8:29 PM
Cotton

Region Rat - 
HenryO -
Region Rat - Wiggins can't dribble or shoot. He's not going to be much in the league. Top shelf defender down the road. Phone Post 3.0

How can you watch Wiggins play and think he cant shoot.

Dumb as fuck
Because he can't shoot! What's his 3%. Under 30? don't be so mad brah Phone Post 3.0

KD shot 26% from 3 his rookie season. What is your point? Wiggins has the mechanics to be a great shooter. Will he be? I don't know, but to say he "can't shoot means you didn't watch him play IMO.
5/26/14 8:31 PM
Cotton

Wiggins shot .448 from the floor, .341 from tree, and .775 from the line. He can shoot and will only get better IMO.
5/26/14 8:56 PM
UGCTT_The Project
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cotton -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

The only true center left playing is Hibbert and he is totally inconsistent. You need some size and rebounding, but not from the 5 IMO. It's nice if you have it, but you can't build around it today.
Al Jefferson would like a word. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 9:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cotton -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

4 or 5, you have to have one. The Heat are the only exception over the last few years. Just because their aren't tons of great centers doesn't mean they aren't important or that none of them were very good this year. And centers that can rebound and defend the rim is still the best paid position in the NBA. It's almost impossible to make a playoff run without one (except for the rare exceptions like Ibaka and the Heat). Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 9:17 PM
Dirty Dick Slater

Pistons won with a 6'9" center Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 9:38 PM
Cotton

UGCTT_The Project - 
Cotton -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Al Jefferson would like a word. Phone Post 3.0

From his couch?
5/26/14 9:41 PM
Cotton

The 4's now are mostly stretch players. How many great PFs are there left that play down low? Timmy and his AARP card is going to retire soon. There are not even that many good PFs left either, but most of them are bigs that board, but play facing the basket.
5/26/14 9:42 PM
Cotton

Dirty Dick Slater - Pistons won with a 6'9" center Phone Post 3.0

They did, but with a 6'11" PF.
5/26/14 9:49 PM
Dirty Dick Slater

That shot jump shots Phone Post 3.0
5/26/14 10:04 PM
Cotton

Your point? I was confused on your initial point with Ben Wallace anyways. What did it have to do with anything?
5/26/14 10:21 PM
Boyd Crowder's Hair
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great scouting report from Grantland writer Ryen Russillo's who's seen the top 4 all play recently.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-wiggins-randle-embiid-and-parker/

I found what was written on Wiggins to be really contradictory to what most have to say about the kid.

Andrew Wiggins

Scout 1: Don’t trust his shot or his ball skills. Can’t go left. There is no “fuck you” to him. Kobe’s like, “Fuck you, I’m better than you.” Where was that? I think he is a content player. That’s not Bill Self’s fault — he didn’t tell him not to shoot.

He can be your third-best player, but not your best. Say he goes to Orlando. What’s he going to do as an offensive player? Shoot them to more wins? He has one of the best second/third jumps I’ve ever seen and he’ll have some “Fuck … look at that” moments. But that’s not his personality.

He can be an elite defender. He can guard 1-3s.

Wiggins has offensive holes in his game — no dribble, no pass, streaky shooter. His sex appeal is only his athleticism. I’m not saying he’s one of these athletes that comes into the league and doesn’t know how to play basketball, but he’s behind the other three guys on my board.

Scout 2: I think in the draft, if Embiid is healthy, Wiggins goes no. 3. He will be lost in an NBA half-court offense. He is great in transition, but he has no ball skills. All right hand, no idea what to do without the ball. He struggles with confidence. He actually reminds me more of Gerald Green than any of these studs he’s compared to.

He’s an erratic shooter and has no plan when attacking the rim. He will be easy to coach against with his limited game right now. Needs to find out what playing hard is. He tries hard, but I don’t see that second gear. He would scare me as your franchise’s no. 1 pick, with all the stuff that will go along with being no. 1 in this class. Is he really a face of the franchise?

Defensively he can be a stopper right away. A lot of these coaches want to break down these young guys and limit their minutes because they don’t trust them defensively. With him you can play him the minutes you need to develop him because, defensively, he’s already there.

Scout 3: In general, interesting kid. In fairness to him he played in a very restricted system at Kansas. All interchangeable parts with designated spots, a lot of structure. When he got the ball, there wasn’t a lot of room to create. He didn’t force things, dealt with it well, but sometimes it hurt his rep. Not anywhere near ready, mentally, to take things over, which is unfair to say at this stage. Game isn’t to the level of his athleticism. Humble, coachable, a positive kid, all good things.

Needs go-to moves. He doesn’t have them yet. He has a high dribble. This is normal for a kid his age. Even Kobe and T-Mac struggled out of high school with go-to moves.

He needs to add a whole bunch of other stuff to be the scorer people think he can be. He needs to forget shooting 3s. His shot isn’t great, but it isn’t broken. It’s not as bad as Kidd-Gilchrist where you say, “Where do we start?”

Great natural movement. An NBA coach can still play him right away because he can defend. He defends the wings in isolation, which is extremely valuable. Physically he can do this right away.

Russillo: Agree with Scout 3.

This one is tough. I’ve changed my mind about him versus Parker a few times this season. He isn’t close to being as polished as Parker is on offense. So, the simple solution is to take Parker, right? Nope, it doesn’t work that way.

Athletically, he is off the charts, but it doesn’t do much for you if you can’t dribble. Right now, he can’t. The times he does get free on a drive, he doesn’t finish nearly as much as he should. It’s baffling; he gets by his man, beats the help, and then screws up the layup.

His personality comes off as timid. It’s not what you want from a guy that is supposed to be your leading scorer in a few years. It is worth mentioning that he played on a team that had two other scorers in Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis, plus the emergence of Embiid and Naadir Tharpe, who was supposed to be a point guard. There weren’t many shots to go around and he still dropped 17 ppg.

When LaMarcus Aldridge was coming out of Texas, I heard a lot of the same stuff: “timid” “doesn’t want it,” etc. I’d go back and look at the tape, and it was obvious Aldridge was playing with selfish guards who didn’t get him the ball, so it’s something to think about. I honestly have no idea if Wiggins is just a great athlete with a passive personality, or the next Tracy McGrady.

The thing about the draft that drives fans crazy is when a GM takes someone based on potential, but think about it this way: Sure, you could take a guy who just finished his junior year and put up big numbers. But the reason teams reach is because they need a star in this league. It’s why the Parker-Wiggins debate is frustrating for people. “If Parker is better, why take Wiggins?” It’s easy. Every front office will ask themselves the same question on draft night: “Can this guy grow, become an All-Star in our league?” If the answer is even close to a yes, the team will go for it. Role players aren’t winning you anything.

5/26/14 10:23 PM
Trane

Good 7 footers are rare that's why you take a chance on them when you can. Imo, the Cavs would be dumb to pass on Embiid. At worst he could be a great defensive player like an Ibaka.
5/26/14 10:31 PM
Trane

Edited: 05/26/14 10:31 PM
Nice post Boyd. I agree with all the scouts and this is coming from someone who's been following Wiggins since his high school days and with the CIA Bounce team. In HS, he was basically bullying kids a year younger than him which made him look more dominant than what he really is. Although he didn't play all that badly in college and had a nice stretch of games in the 2nd half of the season,he lacks the "Go-to Player" mindset and skillset as of right now in big game situations.

My bet would be that Parker would have a better first year and maybe second as well but as Wiggins develops he's got a higher ceiling later on as most experts project.
5/26/14 10:39 PM
Cotton

I am hoping Parker is there at 3.
5/26/14 10:45 PM
Cotton

Look at it this way....

Who are the top 5 centers in the league? Now take them and rank them among all players. How many of them are in the top 50? Top 100? Get my point?

BTW, I am not asking someone to take the time to guess their top 5 and match them up against the rest of the league. Just putting it into perspective.
5/26/14 10:46 PM
Trane

Cotton - I am hoping Parker is there at 3.

Philly is in a no-lose situation imo. They will simply take the remainder of Embiid/Wiggins/Parker. Parker *should* be there at 3 but I'm sure Philly would be estatic with Wiggins or Embiid lol.
5/26/14 10:50 PM
Zombie Al Davis' Terrible 40 Time
498 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope the Kings dont trade the #8 overall pick we need one more young piece to go with

Cousins

Gay

McLemore

Thomas

D. Williams

5/26/14 10:55 PM
Trane

Cotton - Look at it this way....

Who are the top 5 centers in the league? Now take them and rank them among all players. How many of them are in the top 50? Top 100? Get my point?

BTW, I am not asking someone to take the time to guess their top 5 and match them up against the rest of the league. Just putting it into perspective.

I think this also proves that quality centers are hard to come by so when you get a real gem they are invaluable. Guys like Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Dwight.

The current crop of centers aren't that impressive imo when you have guys like Brook Lopez and Drummond regarded as amongst the best right now. So when you have a possible gem like Embiid show up who has the potential to blossom into an Olajuwon I think it's a no brainer to take a chance on him.
5/26/14 10:59 PM
Cotton

Trane - 
Cotton - I am hoping Parker is there at 3.

Philly is in a no-lose situation imo. They will simply take the remainder of Embiid/Wiggins/Parker. Parker *should* be there at 3 but I'm sure Philly would be estatic with Wiggins or Embiid lol.

If Embiid is there, they are going to trade down and get a bounty for him. They can't take him with Noel there. It just doesn't work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.