UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> In 2002, Matt Hughes...

5/23/14 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Malvert the Janitor
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...was scheduled to meet Anderson Silva in a welterweight bout at UFC 36 but Silva signed with Pride instead.

If that fight happened back then...

A)

OR

B)

Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 9:36 PM
danken12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A. He was a legit smashing machine at that point. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 9:37 PM
Jody

Anderson's teammate, at the time, had his way with Hughes like Mr Country Breakfast was a road whore.

Pele via KO.
5/23/14 9:37 PM
Chaelismyhero

Matt Hughes was a beast back in the day. He would have knocked Anderson out IMO. His strength was incredible.

I still think Prime Matt Hughes is the GOAT WW. I would favor Hughes at his best to beat GSP at his best.
5/23/14 9:38 PM
elliot91
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol second gif is perfect for this question
5/23/14 10:31 PM
Chaelismyhero

JMO_LOL - 
Chaelismyhero - Matt Hughes was a beast back in the day. He would have knocked Anderson out IMO. His strength was incredible.

I still think Prime Matt Hughes is the GOAT WW. I would favor Hughes at his best to beat GSP at his best.
troll alert Phone Post 3.0

What? How am I trolling?
5/23/14 10:33 PM
eljamaiquino

Chaelismyhero - Matt Hughes was a beast back in the day. He would have knocked Anderson out IMO. His strength was incredible.

Pele had already ktfo hughes. Plus Silva had already beaten Sakurai, before the car accident that made him into the weakened version that Hughes beat. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 10:38 PM
xsrg95
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes by DEC, no doubt silva would have a loss (not weidman) if he was in the ufc since 2002 but he would also be a two division ufc champ.
5/23/14 10:39 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at the time, i'd say Hughes!
5/23/14 10:42 PM
ranier wolfcastle
943 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ando was pretty easy to takedown back then

5/23/14 10:43 PM
ChaosOverkill
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would have probably done what Chael didn't in the first fight.

5/23/14 10:45 PM
CowboysStuntDouble
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes by tko. He was at his best and Anderson hadn't yet become the force of nature he later was Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 10:45 PM
JOESONDO
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes didn't start losing because he got old. He started losing because everyone started getting better. Prime Hughes was a one dimensional wrestler with no striking. He never adapted to modern MMA. GSP would and did beat Hughes repeatedly. In fact it's hard to think of a current top contender that would lose to prime Hughes. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 10:55 PM
Chaelismyhero

JOESONDO - 

Hughes didn't start losing because he got old. He started losing because everyone started getting better. Prime Hughes was a one dimensional wrestler with no striking. He never adapted to modern MMA. GSP would and did beat Hughes repeatedly. In fact it's hard to think of a current top contender that would lose to prime Hughes. Phone Post 3.0

I think Prime Matt Hughes would beat anyone today. Look at who Matt beat in his prime. No one today would be able to stop his takedowns.

He was one dimensional,but that one dimension worked. Picking a guy up and slamming him on his head and battering him with elbows works in any era.
5/23/14 11:22 PM
ShanTheMan
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At that time, HUGHES Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:24 PM
Smith1234
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt would've squashed him. GnP finish or perhaps kimura. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:25 PM
MagSlim

Clicked on this thread hoping the OP would say.....

....was a farmer.

Thread did not deliver.
5/23/14 11:28 PM
superCalo
787 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is correct, Anderson would have been so emotionally scared from that beating I doubt we would be even considered him as a potential mW goat at all. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:28 PM
JOESONDO
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero -
JOESONDO - 

I think Prime Matt Hughes would beat anyone today. Look at who Matt beat in his prime. No one today would be able to stop his takedowns.

He was one dimensional,but that one dimension worked. Picking a guy up and slamming him on his head and battering him with elbows works in any era.
Who did he beat? Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:30 PM
superCalo
787 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO -

Incorrect matt hughe beat prime gSp when gSp was a killa, the best striker in wW division, a finisher, Matt broke that gSp arm near right off Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:30 PM
jwistead
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - Matt Hughes was a beast back in the day. He would have knocked Anderson out IMO. His strength was incredible.

Agreed Hughes was a nightmare for *anyone* in his prime.

I think you might have gone a bit far with the Hughes at his best, GSP at his best comment though. In their second fight (i.e., the first that Georges won), was Hughes not at his best? In the 20 fights before that fight, he was 19-1, with his only loss to BJ Penn, which he avenged *by bully beatdown stoppage*. And that stoppage was the fight just before GSP 2. I'm just trying to think of when Hughes might have been *more* at his best.

When do you think Hughes peaked?

tl,dr: I think both guys were at their best in Hughes-GSP 2. At the time, it was a dream fight, on par with Fedor-CroCop, Fedor-BigNog.
5/23/14 11:48 PM
Rabid Bunyip
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Instead of fighting Silva, Hughes fought Sakurai who had (6 or so months earlier) given Anderson what he describes as his hardest opponent.

Hughes TKOd him in rd 1 IIRC Phone Post 3.0
5/23/14 11:50 PM
gallo_de_ pelea

jwistead -
Chaelismyhero - Matt Hughes was a beast back in the day. He would have knocked Anderson out IMO. His strength was incredible.

Agreed Hughes was a nightmare for *anyone* in his prime.

I think you might have gone a bit far with the Hughes at his best, GSP at his best comment though. In their second fight (i.e., the first that Georges won), was Hughes not at his best? In the 20 fights before that fight, he was 19-1, with his only loss to BJ Penn, which he avenged *by bully beatdown stoppage*. And that stoppage was the fight just before GSP 2. I'm just trying to think of when Hughes might have been *more* at his best.

When do you think Hughes peaked?

tl,dr: I think both guys were at their best in Hughes-GSP 2. At the time, it was a dream fight, on par with Fedor-CroCop, Fedor-BigNog.
He had also lost to Pele and Hallman not just Penn. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 6:11 AM
DirtehSneakehs

JMO_LOL -

troll alert Phone Post 3.0
There was MMA before 2012 yo. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 6:31 AM
BLPorritt

Hughes Hulk Smash Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.