UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barao coming to America, to learn English

5/24/14 11:37 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Many people think that Renan Barao is the best fighter in mixed martial arts. Ahead of his fight with challenger T.J. Dillashaw in the main event of UFC 173 Saturday night, no one thinks he is the most popular.

UFC president Dana White addressed the issue recently and said he loves Barao, popularity takes time, and that English is not necessarily an impediment.

"Nobody was talking about Anderson Silva when Anderson Silva wasn't being called all the great things he's being called today. It took a long time. It took a long time for Chuck Liddell. These things don't happen over night."

"I hear he's not handsome enough, I hear he doesn't speak English. Listen, if you're showing up to see handsome guys speak on Saturday you're coming to the wrong f---ing show, okay?"

At a media event on Friday, Barao agreed that if he keeps winning popularity will follow, but noted he is coming to America to develop his English skills.

"English is very necessary," said the Nova Uniao protege through an interpreter, as transcribed by BloodyElbow. "So, it's in my plans to maybe move to America in the near future to try and learn some English."

Barao said he would do some training in the States, but emphasized that the purpose of the trip was to learn English. And like White, he cited time as the key to connect with fans.

"It's still my second defense, so I still have a long way ahead," said Barao. "If I continue with this track record, I'm going to be recognized and famous."

What do you think UG? Are you hoping to watch handsome guys speak on Saturday night?

A recent UG Poll was not definitive on the subject:
He doesn't speak English 18.06%
He is fighting in a lighter weight class 12.50%
He's not good looking enough 6.94%
He washes his clothes in the sink 4.17%
Some of the above 25.00%
All of the above 15.28%
Other 18.06%

5/24/14 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
danggook
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone photoshop him in coming to america with Aldo as arsenio hall Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 12:28 PM
donovese
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I hear he's not handsome enough, I hear he doesn't speak English. Listen, if you're showing up to see handsome guys speak on Saturday you're coming to the wrong f---ing show, okay?" Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 12:35 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American fight fans insist on handsome fighters?!

LMFAO!!!!! :D Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 12:54 PM
MAINMAYNARD

Wouldn't it be great if he went to Ireland or Jamaica and learned to speak English Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 12:57 PM
danggook
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle - American fight fans insist on handsome fighters?!

LMFAO!!!!! :D Phone Post 3.0
Women watch too. As do gays. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 1:00 PM
cool hand Ed
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah my x-wife was always a fan of Rich Franklin because he was "hot"
5/24/14 1:02 PM
Agent_Doakes_Aint_no_Jokes
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao's first day in America be like...
5/24/14 2:43 PM
ku3mm3t
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blue plz

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2m65r2r.jpg
5/24/14 2:54 PM
MITman2k
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/24/14 2:55 PM

^

5/24/14 3:02 PM
da Vinci 81
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come on, we all know it's because he washes his clothes in the sink. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 3:02 PM
RyannVonDoom

MITman2k - 

^

fucking perfect... now put his face on nosferatu.. Because that's totally who he is. 

5/24/14 3:20 PM
LiveToFightInc
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Live To Fight Inc., President/CEO
MITman2k -

^

This was my first thought when I saw thread title. Nice!!
But seriously who the hell cares what a fighter looks like and if he can speak English. Not everyone can be blessed with GSPs good looks and his mastery of the English language.

Side note and completely irrelevant- my old BJJ teacher learned English from watching an old VHS tape of Rush Hour. Yep, that's who you want to learn from- Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 4:34 PM
RollHighAllDay
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's weird that they are publicly letting everyone know that they are doing their best to groom barao to "sell" him to the public. "You guys just wait, after this next fight, we're giving barao an extreme UFC sexy makeover. It's going to be barao 2.0, (basically new teeth)" Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 4:36 PM
John M
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should just listen to Call Me Maybe and he'll be good.

This is also good though. He should bring Aldo with him.

5/24/14 5:00 PM
war wand
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/24/14 5:05 PM
jwistead
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donovese - "I hear he's not handsome enough, I hear he doesn't speak English. Listen, if you're showing up to see handsome guys speak on Saturday you're coming to the wrong f---ing show, okay?" Phone Post 3.0

One of Dana's better, recent quotes.
5/24/14 5:06 PM
BJTT_Bromovich
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MITman2k -

^

:-) Phone Post
5/24/14 6:57 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eKLtRSC4Y

"Hey Barao, you're rents due muthafucka, and don't be pulling that falling down the stairs shit on me you hear, are you conscious?!?"

5/24/14 9:04 PM
SlipSlap

Just get a Rosetta Stone, B. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/14 9:13 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)

jesus, war wand I don't even wanna quote that.

sheesh.

damn.
5/24/14 9:27 PM
RyannVonDoom

The more i think about it, the more i wonder why he hasnt learned english in the millenia he's been alive... Phone Post 3.0
5/25/14 12:12 PM
hawgchao

now at least he will realize what all those people meant with the phrase, "you got knocked the fuck out"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.