UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Cormier shouldn't wait for title fight

5/25/14 12:33 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is renegotiating his contract with the company, so he may fight Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 177 on Aug 30, or he may not.

After beating Dan Henderson Saturday night, Cormier was unequivocal about what he wants next - a title fight vs. Jones.

"No matter where you go boy, I'm coming," said Cormier, as transcribed by FOX Sports. "You better hurry because I'm getting better."

"I know nobody can wrestle me. It doesn't matter. If I decide to take Jon Jones down 100 times, I'll take him down 100 times. This is my octagon."

Cormier of course was assuming Jones wins the rematch with Gustafsson.

However, after the event Ariel Helwani told UFC president Dana White that Cormier wanted to wait for a title shot, and asked White if he agreed.

"No," said White definitively. "Those are always bad ideas. When you think you want a layoff, somebody gets hurt, you know... We'll see what happens - if he ends up fighting somebody else.  But he is always down to fight.

"He looked great tonight."

5/25/14 12:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HolyHackZack
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it a better idea to be fighting other guys that should be fighting for the belt, diminishing the number and value of contenders?
5/25/14 8:05 PM
falsecrack
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spot on dana, dc shouldn't wait. he should get to fight whoever wins the rematch between gus and jones
5/25/14 8:28 PM
carcaju
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyHackZack - Is it a better idea to be fighting other guys that should be fighting for the belt, diminishing the number and value of contenders?

It is not diminishing their value. I want to see the top guys fighting eachother as much as possible. I dont care if a guy takes a few L's gets a few wins then wins the belt. I hate people just waiting. Tha whole Rashad thing was fucking stupid. Guy was on the sidelines for a fucking eternity.
5/26/14 6:07 AM
Huntsman
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the Jones vs Gus rematch headlines 177, I would like to see Rumble vs DC for the next title shot as co main. Then if Jones or Gus get injured DC can step up.

I don't actually think DC "needs" another win to be considered for a title shot as I think he is the biggest threat to Jones. However I think another win will only add to his hype and think that DC staying active will help in his preparation for Jones, as opposed to a long lay off. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.