UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: Gustafsson's next in line

6/4/14 2:40 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This week Jon Jones has been making news by refusing to sign his bout agreement to fight Alexander Gustafsson and instead requesting a fight with Daniel Cormier. Jones has five fights left on his promotional contract with the UFC, but is stalling on signing a bout agreement. UFC President Dana White is however holding strong on his stance:

Rick Wright: A story broke online Monday to the effect that Jones is telling you he wants to fight Daniel Cormier next and not Alexander Gustafsson (who last September gave Jones the toughest fight of his career in losing by unanimous decision). You’re meeting with Jones on Thursday. Do you intend to press for Gustafsson?

Dana White: Yeah, definitely. Gustafsson’s next in line. Even Cormier said, ‘Listen, I hope this whole things works out for me and I get the shot, but even I believe that Gustafsson deserves the next shot.’ (Gustafsson is) the No. 1 contender, he’s waited for this rematch and (Cormier) even agrees.

Rick Wright: If Jones continues to insist on fighting Cormier next, what happens?

Dana White:  It’s just one of those things that sucks, to be honest with you. As soon as that kid (Jones) starts to build some steam and starts to become the star that you think he can be, he comes out and doesn’t want to fight somebody. You’re the champion, you’re the pound-for-pound best guy in the world, and he says he wants to be known as the best ever. Well, you don’t turn down opponents, you know what I mean? You’ve got to fight all the best in the world, anyway. You’re the man; everybody’s gunning for you.

read entire interview...

6/4/14 2:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMApurist
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's his career, not yours dana.

It's his ranking system, not yours dana.
6/4/14 3:02 PM
Standup29
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Dana handled that well. He didn't bash Jones and made a valid point. To be the best you don't turn down opponents. Beat Gus and then beat DC. Simple solution. Gus gave him a great fight but Jones made adjustments and won. I would imagine the rematch would be similar to rounds 3, 4 and 5. No cake walk but Jones should win the rematch.

His career and his legacy but turning down valid opponents for whatever reason is not good for either. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:02 PM
Da Ghost
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this happens karma will ensure jones loses to cormier Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:05 PM
OblongBox
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/4/14 3:10 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont see how you should even be allowed to turn down a fight so long as its in your weight class. If you dont want to fight, thats great. Dont fight. Give up the belt and go retire doing something else but to play this bullshit game of picking your own opponents is lame.
6/4/14 3:15 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well spoken by Dana.
Why can't he always be like this? Lol Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:17 PM
orcus

Borrrrring.
6/4/14 3:22 PM
TheMessiah

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - Well spoken by Dana.
Why can't he always be like this? Lol Phone Post 3.0
He is.. imo Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:23 PM
kinson

I agree with dana on this one. Goes back to 151. Jones and any champion should not turn down fights.

It's ridiculous bc jones is the best in the world right now. Beat alex, fight dan. Wheather jones likes it or not alex is next in line.

Also jones needs to stop talking about his career. Jones wouldn't have a career if it weren't for people like us who want to see him fight.

The guy needs to nut up and fight alex. Jones isn't negotiating a new contract he's just refusing to fight the guy who deserves a crack at the title.

Between 151, the eye poking and now this shit I find it very hard to like this guy. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:36 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's where "goodwill" between parties come into play.

Zuffa has shown Jones very little support lately, they drive a hard deal and they expect fighters to fold and do whatever they want.

Zuffa want to make that "big money" right now and fear Cormier will derail that train.

Why should Jones give a shit really? I know I'd rather fight a new opponent than do rematches when you won the first fight. (however close that was)

So that's what you get Zuffa for trying to fuck over your fighters at every turn. When they can push back, they will.

And I support any fighter trying to stand up to Zuffa. They deserve every bit of it.
6/4/14 3:39 PM
orcus

"Wheather jones likes it or not alex is next in line. "

A guy who already lost to him and has done nothing since but beat Jimi Manuwa shouldn't be "next in line". You lose, you should go to the back of the line, that's how it should always be.
6/4/14 3:44 PM
MMApurist
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell that to Urijah Faber lol.
6/4/14 3:45 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back of the line where? 15th spot? This isn't 3rd grade where everybody gets a turn Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:50 PM
KingArchimedes

kinson - I agree with dana on this one. Goes back to 151. Jones and any champion should not turn down fights.

It's ridiculous bc jones is the best in the world right now. Beat alex, fight dan. Wheather jones likes it or not alex is next in line.

Also jones needs to stop talking about his career. Jones wouldn't have a career if it weren't for people like us who want to see him fight.

The guy needs to nut up and fight alex. Jones isn't negotiating a new contract he's just refusing to fight the guy who deserves a crack at the title.

Between 151, the eye poking and now this shit I find it very hard to like this guy. Phone Post 3.0
Ladies and gentlemen...a moron has spoken. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 3:56 PM
orcus

ShoreBreaker420 - Back of the line where? 15th spot? This isn't 3rd grade where everybody gets a turn Phone Post 3.0

The guy in the 15th spot isn't in line for a title shot.
6/4/14 4:01 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Dana. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 4:01 PM
SupesUp
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure dana would be fine with the Cormier fight but he can't lose control over the fighters, it's a bad precedent to set.
And to the people who say if he won't fight take his belt that doesn't benefit the promotion either if your champ isn't really the best guy.
It's a fine line from all sides and I can't imagine this is easy for anyone at this level. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 4:03 PM
El Duderino
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingArchimedes - 
kinson - I agree with dana on this one. Goes back to 151. Jones and any champion should not turn down fights.

Ladies and gentlemen...a moron has spoken. Phone Post 3.0

The only moron speaking is you. What did he say that is stupid? It all makes sense to me. Vote up Kinson. Great post
6/4/14 4:06 PM
Eric Bloodaxe

Thanks, Dana. If Jones keep refusing at this the ducking will be even more obvious. Hopefully Jon tries to save face and signs up for the Gus fight (that I think he'll win anyway) asap.

6/4/14 4:08 PM
El Duderino
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - "Wheather jones likes it or not alex is next in line. "

A guy who already lost to him and has done nothing since but beat Jimi Manuwa shouldn't be "next in line". You lose, you should go to the back of the line, that's how it should always be.

How is that Gus' fault that he had to fight Manuwa? He was told by Dana if you win this next fight you will get a rematch, so he fought who they told him to and won. He could have bitched about Jimi Manuwa not being ranked high enough, but instead he fought who they told him to which is what Jones needs to do.
6/4/14 4:09 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 months ago "Gus won that fight he deserves an immediate rematch".

Today "Jones already beat him, he doesn't deserve another title shot." - The UG Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 4:11 PM
Bingo'ed in Brazil
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones Mayweather Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 4:39 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

Kings21 - I dont see how you should even be allowed to turn down a fight so long as its in your weight class. If you dont want to fight, thats great. Dont fight. Give up the belt and go retire doing something else but to play this bullshit game of picking your own opponents is lame.
He's way too early in his career to take the gsp route and retire for a few years hoping Gustafson loses.he may complain about it but I doubt he wastes too much of his prime on this. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/14 4:39 PM
jagen

Luke Thomas of mmafighting.com talked about this Jones/DC/Gus situation on his live chat today, for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCxMZAD-C_M

STARTS AT: 25:05

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.