UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Official 2014 Football World Cup Thread

6/10/14 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lionsoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/14 3:47 PM

Only once every 4 years. The biggest sporting event on the planet.

This thread is for discussion on anything and everything to do with the World Cup

Enough said.
6/10/14 1:11 PM
lionsoul

Who do you got to take this?

My top 5 (in no particular order) are:
(1) Argentina - has the best front line... But you don't win world cups without a defense and goalie.
(2) Brazil - obviously most likely to take it. Cannot say enough about home files advantage (especially in Brazil).
(3) Spain - can they win 4 in a row? Just may be too tough for any team to beat these guys.
(4) Germany - all star team from 2010 finally matured and ready to dominate.
(5) Uruguay - terrible in qualifying, but too much talent and ruthless on defense (tough to ignore).

Dark horses:
(1) Belgium - ton of young talent. Can see them taking out some top teams.
(2) Italy - yes they sucked in qualifying... But they always bring it in the WC. Ruthless defense always can best anyone on any given day.

I am hoping for Argentina - Brazil final, with Argentina taking it... But not likely given their D. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/14 1:14 PM
lionsoul

Espn Top 50 Players of the WC ranked:

(Blue Please):

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1822233/worldcuprank----the-top-50 Phone Post 3.0
6/10/14 1:23 PM
lionsoul

25 of the hottest WAGS for the 2014 World Cup:

Blue Please

http://www.totalprosports.com/2014/06/06/hottest-wags-of-the-2014-fifa-world-cup-brazil/ Phone Post 3.0
6/10/14 1:32 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0
6/10/14 2:21 PM
lionsoul

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Is this in ranked in order?

6/10/14 2:47 PM
lionsoul

World Cup and Economics (interesting stuff).

Blue Please:

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-and-economics-2014-folder/world-cup-economics-report.pdf
6/10/14 3:50 PM
lionsoul

Ranking the First 16 matches of the World Cup:

16. Iran (FIFA Ranking: 43) vs. Nigeria (44) - Monday June 16, 3pm ET

Here's the good thing about this match: both teams are evenly matched based on their FIFA ranking. The bad news is that Iran really isn't all that good, and plays a defense-first style of soccer. It's much more interested in keeping you from scoring than it is scoring itself. Nigeria, meanwhile, has some talent up front, but has trouble scoring. Very good chance this one ends 0-0.

15. Chile (14) vs. Australia (62) - Friday June 13, 6pm ET

Chile can actually be a fun team to watch, but this game isn't ranked this low because of the Chileans. No, it's because of the Australians. Sure, it's really fun to root for a team called the Soccerroos, but based on FIFA's ranking, Australia is the worst team in the World Cup. It's just not that good. Underdogs are fun, but this isn't an underdog you should get your hopes up for.

14. Russia (19) vs. Korea Republic (57) - Tuesday June 17, 6pm ET

I really don't have all that much to say about this match, and the odds are nobody will have much to say about it after it's over, either.

13. Mexico (20) vs. Cameroon (56) - Friday June 13, Noon ET

This game certainly has interest based on the fact that Mexico is typically considered America's top rival in soccer, so you may want to tune in just to root for Cameroon. When you look at the way Mexico has played recently, it's certainly possible that Cameroon could pull it off, but while there's nothing "wrong" with this game, it's not exactly a blockbuster.

12. Colombia (8) vs. Greece (12) - Saturday June 14, Noon ET

You may be surprised to see a match between two highly-ranked teams this low in my rankings. Well, don't be. Greece is one of the most boring national teams to watch as it lives for the scoreless draw, and Colombia will be without the one and only Radamel Falcao. Were Falcao playing this game would be worth watching just to see Greece's 11-man backline against him.

11. Switzerland (6) vs. Ecuador (26) - Sunday June 15, Noon ET

Switzerland's FIFA ranking is the greatest argument against FIFA's ranking system. They've won games, sure, and didn't lose a single match during World Cup qualifying, but the Swiss are also an incredibly boring team to watch. So if you do tune in to this one, for the overall enjoyment of all World Cup fans, root for Ecuador.

10. Ivory Coast (23) vs. Japan (46) - Saturday June 14, 9pm ET

These two squads aren't highly ranked, but Japan is a fun team to watch and could catch some people by surprise this summer. Then there are the Ivorians who feature players like Didier Drogba, Yaya Touré and Gervinho's hair. This match could prove to be one of the more exciting matches of group play.

9. Uruguay (7) vs. Costa Rica (28) - Saturday June 14, 3pm ET

This ranking depends on the status of Luis Suarez, as one of the globe's most prolific scorers still isn't sure whether or not he's going to be able to play this summer. I'm hoping he does because we've got enough injuries to deal with already this summer, and not having one of the best players in the world available during the world's premier soccer tournament is not ideal.

8. France (17) vs. Honduras (33) - Sunday June 15, 3pm ET

Speaking of major injuries, France will be without Franck Ribery, and while that certainly hurts France's chances (hey, that rhymes), it also helps Honduras'! The Hondurans performed well in World Cup qualifying, and they have the potential to jump up and get somebody in what's a rather wide-open Group E. France could be that team.

7. Belgium (11) vs. Algeria (22) - Tuesday June 17, Noon ET

Belgium is an excellent darkhorse candidate this summer, even without Christian Benteke available at striker. This is a team that's been on the rise for a number of years. Then there's Algeria, a team that isn't exactly a world-beater, but is set up well to advance out of Group H.

6. Ghana (37) vs. USA (13) - Monday June 16, 6pm ET

I had to keep myself from ranking this higher, but even if it's the most interesting game to Americans, compared to the rest of the games, this is probably still a bit high. That being said, it's the United States against a Ghana team that has eliminated it from the last two World Cups. Watch it or move to Canada.

5. Argentina (5) vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina (21) - Sunday June 15, 6pm ET

This is a matchup of one of the best teams with one of the best players in the world (Argentina, Leo Messi) and a team that showed in World Cup qualifying that it can put the ball in the back of the net. Bosnia and Herzegovina scored 30 goals in its 10 qualifying matchups, led by Manchester City's Edin Dzeko, and actually won its group over Greece based on goal differential (those exciting Greeks scored 12 goals in 10 matches). So Bosnia and Herzegovina is a team that could surprise people this summer, even if overcoming Argentina is likely a bridge too far.

4. Brazil (3) vs. Croatia (18) - Thursday June 12, 4pm ET

The opening game of the tournament. Does Croatia actually have a chance to knock off the Brazillians in the first game of a World Cup being hosted in Brazil? No, not really, but it's the first game of the World Cup! And it features one of the favorites to win the whole damn thing. If you aren't watching this match, you probably aren't watching any.

3. Spain (1) vs. Netherlands (15) - Friday June 13, 3pm ET

Another one of the tournament's favorites, and the winners from 2010, Spain, takes on a strong Dutch team that I feel is better than its FIFA ranking would have you believe. There's certainly plenty of star power in this game to keep you interested, and these are also two teams that might be making noise come the knockout stage as well.

2. England (10) vs. Italy (9) - Saturday June 14, 6pm ET

Not only will this match feature two of the best teams in the world, but it's also incredibly important. Between Italy, England and Uruguay, there are three very good teams (all are ranked in the top 10 by FIFA) competing for only two spots. So not only should this be a good match between two excellent teams, but the result could be the deciding factor in Group D.

1. Germany (2) vs. Portugal (4) - Monday June 16, Noon ET

Germany will be without a few of its top players this summer, but it's still Germany, and when part of a machine breaks down you just replace it with a new part. Then there's Portugal, which features Cristiano Ronaldo. While Americans should be hoping that Ronaldo's thigh and knee keep him far below 100 percent in this tournament, a Ronaldo at 60% is still much better than 95% of the players in the world. Two top five teams battling for superiority in Group G. That's the same group the Americans are in, so not only is it two great teams going at one another, but the result could also be incredibly important to the fate of our own team.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24584125/ranking-the-first-16-matches-of-the-2014-world-cup
6/10/14 6:35 PM
lionsoul

I think Suarez may end up being the golden boot (especially if they make it out of their group - which will be tough).
6/10/14 11:02 PM
lionsoul

Anyone check out that special about the US road to the world cup on espn? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 12:20 AM
RKing85
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

somehow managed to snag next week off as a vacation week.

fuck yeah. Ass meet couch.
6/11/14 1:34 AM
Fedoral Crime
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm hoping for an Argentina vs Brazil final too. I also think England will do good now that they don't have the ridiculous pressure and expectations they had in the last 2 WC.

Don't think Spain will make it past the quarter finals either now that Xavi and Iniesta are no longer the force they were for the last 10 years. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 2:05 AM
lionsoul

Tebow For President - I'm picking the United States to win it all. I'm a god damn American with hope surging through my red, white, and blue veins fuckers. I don't know anyone on the team but that won't stop me from believing.
You do realize that their coach, Jurgen Klinsman has stated that they can not win the World Cup...

Most commentators dont think they will even get out of the group stage. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 2:10 AM
Poorsport22
1313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Real Madrid beat Brazil ?

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

Bayern Munich beat Italy? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 2:22 AM
lionsoul

Tebow For President -
lionsoul - 
Tebow For President - I'm picking the United States to win it all. I'm a god damn American with hope surging through my red, white, and blue veins fuckers. I don't know anyone on the team but that won't stop me from believing.
You do realize that their coach, Jurgen Klinsman has stated that they can not win the World Cup...

Most commentators dont think they will even get out of the group stage. Phone Post 3.0

It's all set up to be one of the greatest sports stories of all time I tell ya'. It's the 1980s USA Hockey team all over again. I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES LION! DO YOU BELIEVE!?
I believe!!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 2:25 AM
spjackson77

The opening day of the world cup for me is like christmas when I was a kid. I can't sleep the night before i'm so excited. Using up most of my vacation days so I can drink all day and watch.
6/11/14 2:27 AM
lionsoul

Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

I highly doubt that a national squad could ever beat a top club team (with the one caveat being Spain over the last 5 years - but only because it was basically the barcelona squad and the barcelona system in place).

While the World Cup is so exciting due to the nationalistic sentiments, the reality is that club football is the most competitive around. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 7:34 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul -
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Yeah sure. I don't know a whole lot though Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 7:39 AM
lionsoul

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Yeah sure. I don't know a whole lot though Phone Post 3.0
Solid ranking...

But it has always been tough for a non european to win in europe and a european to win in the americas.

But any of your picks could do it. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 7:58 AM
Fedoral Crime
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

Club teams have the advantage of training and playing with each other day in and day out so you'd have to give the advantage to the club teams.

Especially teams like Real that are practically world all stars. Actually Real vs Brazil would be an interesting one since there's only 1 Brazilian on their starting line up (Marcelo). Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:43 AM
Smokemonster
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill say
Argentina
Brazil
Germany
Spain
Netherlands Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:02 AM
MMA6053
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul - 

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

I highly doubt that a national squad could ever beat a top club team (with the one caveat being Spain over the last 5 years - but only because it was basically the barcelona squad and the barcelona system in place).

While the World Cup is so exciting due to the nationalistic sentiments, the reality is that club football is the most competitive around. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry but totally disagree.

Not sure how old you or how long you have followed the game are but here's a few for you to consider..

No club side in the 50s were in the same class as the Hungarian national team.

No club side in the late 60s early 70s could even come close to matching Brazils 1970 team

No club side in the late 70s were a patch on the Dutch national team of themid to late 70s.

Frances world cup winning team

Spains world cup winning side

and that's justoff the top of my head.

enjoy the world cup !
6/11/14 9:27 AM
lionsoul

MMA6053 -
lionsoul - 

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

Not sure how old you or how long you have followed the game are but here's a few for you to consider..

No club side in the late 60s early 70s could even come close to matching Brazils 1970 team

No club side in the late 70s were a patch on the Dutch national team of themid to late 70s.

enjoy the world cup !
Perhaps there may have been some variance in the past since many players played in their home country leagues.

In the modern game - most top players head to Europe (the Brazilian and Argentine leagues have been decimated in the last couple decades). Even within Europe - players are no longer as confined to their home country leagues.

While you have super teams in the WC - there is no overcoming playing 50 matches with the same guys week in and out.

Plus - the big money teams have the ability to pick and choose the very best all-stars from any country. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:38 AM
lionsoul

lionsoul -
MMA6053 -
lionsoul - 

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

enjoy the world cup !
Perhaps there may have been some variance in the past since many players played in their home country leagues.

In the modern game - most top players head to Europe (the Brazilian and Argentine leagues have been decimated in the last couple decades). Even within Europe - players are no longer as confined to their home country leagues.

While you have super teams in the WC - there is no overcoming playing 50 matches with the same guys week in and out.

Plus - the big money teams have the ability to pick and choose the very best all-stars from any country. Phone Post 3.0
Ahhh... Yes - enjoy the world cup!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:40 AM
lionsoul

spjackson77 - The opening day of the world cup for me is like christmas when I was a kid. I can't sleep the night before i'm so excited. Using up most of my vacation days so I can drink all day and watch.
Agreed. No other event I look forward to watching than the World Cup... Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.