UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Official 2014 Football World Cup Thread

6/11/14 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA6053
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul - 
MMA6053 -
lionsoul - 
Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Real Madrid beat Brazil ?

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

Bayern Munich beat Italy? Phone Post 3.0
I highly doubt that a national squad could ever beat a top club team (with the one caveat being Spain over the last 5 years - but only because it was basically the barcelona squad and the barcelona system in place).

While the World Cup is so exciting due to the nationalistic sentiments, the reality is that club football is the most competitive around. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry but totally disagree.

Not sure how old you or how long you have followed the game are but here's a few for you to consider..

No club side in the 50s were in the same class as the Hungarian national team.

No club side in the late 60s early 70s could even come close to matching Brazils 1970 team

No club side in the late 70s were a patch on the Dutch national team of themid to late 70s.

Frances world cup winning team

Spains world cup winning side

and that's justoff the top of my head.

enjoy the world cup !
Perhaps there may have been some variance in the past since many players played in their home country leagues.

In the modern game - most top players head to Europe (the Brazilian and Argentine leagues have been decimated in the last couple decades). Even within Europe - players are no longer as confined to their home country leagues.

While you have super teams in the WC - there is no overcoming playing 50 matches with the same guys week in and out.

Plus - the big money teams have the ability to pick and choose the very best all-stars from any country. Phone Post 3.0

I provided examples from the past as I have provided themfrom the modern game in France and Spain.

I true follower of the game would understand that you simply couldnt say one is better than the other.
6/11/14 10:29 AM
Tomato Can
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think I'm gonna start a new Football Manager career as manager of the US squad. International management kinda sucks in the game but the WC is giving me the urge to play.
6/11/14 11:01 AM
lionsoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA6053 -
lionsoul - 
MMA6053 -
lionsoul - 
Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Real Madrid beat Brazil ?

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

Bayern Munich beat Italy? Phone Post 3.0
I highly doubt that a national squad could ever beat a top club team (with the one caveat being Spain over the last 5 years - but only because it was basically the barcelona squad and the barcelona system in place).

While the World Cup is so exciting due to the nationalistic sentiments, the reality is that club football is the most competitive around. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry but totally disagree.

Not sure how old you or how long you have followed the game are but here's a few for you to consider..

No club side in the 50s were in the same class as the Hungarian national team.

No club side in the late 60s early 70s could even come close to matching Brazils 1970 team

No club side in the late 70s were a patch on the Dutch national team of themid to late 70s.

Frances world cup winning team

Spains world cup winning side

and that's justoff the top of my head.

enjoy the world cup !
Perhaps there may have been some variance in the past since many players played in their home country leagues.

In the modern game - most top players head to Europe (the Brazilian and Argentine leagues have been decimated in the last couple decades). Even within Europe - players are no longer as confined to their home country leagues.

While you have super teams in the WC - there is no overcoming playing 50 matches with the same guys week in and out.

Plus - the big money teams have the ability to pick and choose the very best all-stars from any country. Phone Post 3.0

I provided examples from the past as I have provided themfrom the modern game in France and Spain.

I true follower of the game would understand that you simply couldnt say one is better than the other.
Ha... "Real football fan"? Really?

I disagree with your France assertion.

As for Spain - it was largely the Barcelona team with a few caveats (guys who played together since they were children) - so they are a bit of an anomaly. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 7:32 PM
lionsoul

You guys check out that Landon Donovan is now a commentator for ESPN during the World Cup.

It should be interesting to see his take on Jurgen and the US . Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 7:40 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Is this in ranked in order?

Yeah sure. I don't know a whole lot though Phone Post 3.0
Solid ranking...

But it has always been tough for a non european to win in europe and a european to win in the americas.

But any of your picks could do it. Phone Post 3.0
Is that based only on world cups or recent competitions played in South America as well? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:16 PM
lionsoul

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Solid ranking...

But it has always been tough for a non european to win in europe and a european to win in the americas.

Is that based only on world cups or recent competitions played in South America as well? Phone Post 3.0
Not sure about friendlies...

But definitely the World Cup.

I don't think that a European team has ever won in the Americas. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:21 PM
4ozToFreedom
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw a world cup commercial. Adriana Lima mmm Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:26 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Solid ranking...

I think the last one was in the 70's though. Technology and travel has changed a lot Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:55 PM
KingOfFighters

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
lionsoul -
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Spain Phone Post 3.0

Solid ranking...

I think the last one was in the 70's though. Technology and travel has changed a lot Phone Post 3.0
There's only been 4 world cups in south america, in which most European countries didn't participate in the first 2, and the last one in 78 Cruyff refused to participate in protest. Lol if the dutch had one they might of been executed in the locker room Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:29 PM
RKing85
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 world cups in South American and 3 in North America.

South American teams have won all 7 of those World Cups.
6/11/14 9:36 PM
lionsoul

RKing85 - 4 world cups in South American and 3 in North America.

South American teams have won all 7 of those World Cups.
Pretty amazing.

Also - I think S. American teams have similarly struggled in winning a World Cup in Europe. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:39 PM
lionsoul

4ozToFreedom - Just saw a world cup commercial. Adriana Lima mmm Phone Post 3.0
Check out one of the first posts on this thread...

It has a link to pictures of the WAGS on it... Some seriously hot babes. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 9:50 PM
lionsoul

Tomato Can - Think I'm gonna start a new Football Manager career as manager of the US squad. International management kinda sucks in the game but the WC is giving me the urge to play.
Jurgen has a contract locking him in through 2018.

But if they suck... I could see Sunil Gulati firing him. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 11:24 PM
lionsoul

Tomato Can - Think I'm gonna start a new Football Manager career as manager of the US squad. International management kinda sucks in the game but the WC is giving me the urge to play.
Sorry bubs... I am already slated to take over as coach.

You could be an assistant if you want. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:26 AM
GaspareBJJ
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm picking Argentina

But I'm rooting for Spain or Italy (and the USA) Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:43 AM
lionsoul

GaspareBJJ - I'm picking Argentina

I am rooting for Argentina... But there is no way they win.

Teams with a weak defense and no goalie dont win world cups. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 8:24 AM
lionsoul

The big day!!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 8:32 AM
Smokemonster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul -

Im with u guys Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 8:33 AM
lionsoul

Smokemonster -
lionsoul -

Im with u guys Phone Post 3.0
Wait.... Which one of us? Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 9:42 AM
Tomato Can
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul - 
Jurgen has a contract locking him in through 2018.

But if they suck... I could see Sunil Gulati firing him. Phone Post 3.0

He's not getting fired. In 2011 it seemed like we were in freefall and I was legitimately expecting us to have trouble qualifying for the WC. Klinsmann has made us respectable again and restored our position as #1 team in CONCACAF. Even if we go 0-3 in this WC I strongly doubt he gets fired.
6/12/14 9:48 AM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking Brazil-Spain final with Brazil winning. Brazil will be pushed hard in the semis if they end up playing Germany though. Theres a chance that Spain/Italy happens in the quarters too and then after that I think the semis will be Spain vs Portugal or Argentina (Portugal/Argentina would be a fun quarter final for the whole Messi vs Ronaldo thing)

Excited!

6/12/14 9:51 AM
1BL0Wko
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The top club teams of the world beat the top national teams of the world 9 times outta 10.
6/12/14 10:02 AM
Rloughlin03
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://m.imgur.com/t2jVAjJ

Blue please. I worked through a spreadsheet predictor and this is my last sixteen onwards. The big shock is I picked Uruguay to beat Brazil. I just had a feeling the pressure would be too much for Neymar plus I like how Uruguay work as a unit.
No major shocks in group stages. Portugal topped group on GD. England get Colombia in last sixteen but then go out to Spain at quarter finals (which is pretty realistic). Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:04 AM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rloughlin03 - http://m.imgur.com/t2jVAjJ

Blue please. I worked through a spreadsheet predictor and this is my last sixteen onwards. The big shock is I picked Uruguay to beat Brazil. I just had a feeling the pressure would be too much for Neymar plus I like how Uruguay work as a unit.
No major shocks in group stages. Portugal topped group on GD. England get Colombia in last sixteen but then go out to Spain at quarter finals (which is pretty realistic). Phone Post 3.0

6/12/14 10:24 AM
Rloughlin03
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers turtles.

France in the final due to a lucky draw. I think they've a good team but I didn't think they would get that far. Again, a nice draw goes a long way.
I picked Uruguay to beat Brazil but not france as I think Uruguay could maybe be more tired than france by this stage. They would have already played england, Italy, ivory coast and Brazil by that stage, france having played Swiss, portugal and Bosnia. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.