UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Official 2014 Football World Cup Thread

6/12/14 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rloughlin03
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers turtles.

France in the final due to a lucky draw. I think they've a good team but I didn't think they would get that far. Again, a nice draw goes a long way.
I picked Uruguay to beat Brazil but not france as I think Uruguay could maybe be more tired than france by this stage. They would have already played england, Italy, ivory coast and Brazil by that stage, france having played Swiss, portugal and Bosnia. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:24 AM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People may be overestimating Uruguay a bit because of the star power of Suarez and Cavani. Their midfield is weak and I think they'll have trouble against teams who can counter-attack.

I think it's a real tossup who's dropping out of that Italy/Uruguay/England group. If I had to bet I'd go with Italy.
6/12/14 10:31 AM
Rloughlin03
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Uruguay second place in group, beating ivory coast and then Brazil
They have a solid team, and yes they have Cavani and Suarez. They are solid at the back and have decent holding midfielder. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:36 AM
1BL0Wko
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - People may be overestimating Uruguay a bit because of the star power of Suarez and Cavani. Their midfield is weak and I think they'll have trouble against teams who can counter-attack.

I think it's a real tossup who's dropping out of that Italy/Uruguay/England group. If I had to bet I'd go with Italy.
They also have Forlan and a solid ass keeper in Muslera (plays for Galatasaray) and a decent defense. Uruguay will be fine. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:39 AM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who is their decent holding midfielder? Gargano?

You put their midfield up against the top teams and it really doesn't compare. They conceded too many goals in qualifying.
6/12/14 10:53 AM
lionsoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1BL0Wko - The top club teams of the world beat the top national teams of the world 9 times outta 10.
QFT Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:54 AM
KingOfFighters

1BL0Wko -
Tomato Can - People may be overestimating Uruguay a bit because of the star power of Suarez and Cavani. Their midfield is weak and I think they'll have trouble against teams who can counter-attack.

They also have Forlan and a solid ass keeper in Muslera (plays for Galatasaray) and a decent defense. Uruguay will be fine. Phone Post 3.0
Forlan is shiiiiiiiiiit. The only reason Uruguay will be in the fight is because of the weather Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:56 AM
lionsoul

Tomato Can -
lionsoul - 
Tomato Can - Think I'm gonna start a new Football Manager career as manager of the US squad. International management kinda sucks in the game but the WC is giving me the urge to play.
Jurgen has a contract locking him in through 2018.

But if they suck... I could see Sunil Gulati firing him. Phone Post 3.0

He's not getting fired. In 2011 it seemed like we were in freefall and I was legitimately expecting us to have trouble qualifying for the WC. Klinsmann has made us respectable again and restored our position as #1 team in CONCACAF. Even if we go 0-3 in this WC I strongly doubt he gets fired.
I don't think they can go 0-3.

They have to at least tie Ghana or Portugal.

While they have done fantastic in qualifying, at the end of the day, it is the World Cup that matters most.

I don't think Jurgen will keep his post if they lose all 3, especially given his controversial move with cutting out Donovan. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 10:58 AM
lionsoul

Teenage mutant lesnar turtle -

I'm thinking Brazil-Spain final with Brazil winning. Brazil will be pushed hard in the semis if they end up playing Germany though. Theres a chance that Spain/Italy happens in the quarters too and then after that I think the semis will be Spain vs Portugal or Argentina (Portugal/Argentina would be a fun quarter final for the whole Messi vs Ronaldo thing)

Excited!

I think this is pretty realistic (although I don't think you can discount Germany).

I think that it will be tough to take out Spain, but Home field advantage in Brazil is legendary. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:01 AM
lionsoul

Rloughlin03 - http://m.imgur.com/t2jVAjJ

Blue please. I worked through a spreadsheet predictor and this is my last sixteen onwards. The big shock is I picked Uruguay to beat Brazil. I just had a feeling the pressure would be too much for Neymar plus I like how Uruguay work as a unit.
No major shocks in group stages. Portugal topped group on GD. England get Colombia in last sixteen but then go out to Spain at quarter finals (which is pretty realistic). Phone Post 3.0
Pretty cool stuff.

Uruguay is one if those dark horses that can either flame out or become a spoiler. Their one advantage IMO is that they are ruthless on defense.

With Suarez - they always have a shot at scoring... Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:02 AM
1BL0Wko
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingOfFighters -
1BL0Wko -

Forlan is shiiiiiiiiiit. The only reason Uruguay will be in the fight is because of the weather Phone Post 3.0
Lmao. Yeah somebody who won the fucking Golden Ball "best player of the World Cup" in 2010 is "shiiiiiiit". Lol gtfo. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:05 AM
lionsoul

1BL0Wko -
KingOfFighters -
1BL0Wko -

Lmao. Yeah somebody who won the fucking Golden Ball "best player of the World Cup" in 2010 is "shiiiiiiit". Lol gtfo. Phone Post 3.0
No doubt that Forlan isn't the same player he was 4 years back.

But - he is a crafty fellow and has a gift of producing during big games. I don't expect him to play a big role... But always dangerous. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:15 AM
lionsoul

Dark horses? (Teams that are not expected to win but could wreck shit up)

- Uruguay
- Belgium
- Italy Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:21 AM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Who is their decent holding midfielder? Gargano?

You put their midfield up against the top teams and it really doesn't compare. They conceded too many goals in qualifying.

With the amount of countries from South America that qualify and the quality drop after the big 4 there you don't even have to really try to qualify for the world cup and you'll get at least the qualifier game like Uruguay did.

Only real worry about them is who the #2 CB will be but Coates is pretty good for Uruguay
6/12/14 11:21 AM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul - Dark horses? (Teams that are not expected to win but could wreck shit up)

- Uruguay
- Belgium
- Italy Phone Post 3.0

They're not dark horses lol if they are maybe all but 3 countries are dark horses
6/12/14 11:22 AM
Rloughlin03

lionsoul - Dark horses? (Teams that are not expected to win but could wreck shit up)

- Uruguay
- Belgium
- Italy Phone Post 3.0
Add england in there. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:20 PM
rexthedog
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Real Madrid beat Brazil ?

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

Bayern Munich beat Italy? Phone Post 3.0
I'd pick

Madrid
City
Spain
Bayern

But Cesc Fabregas just signed for Chelsea so football is dead to me. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:52 PM
lionsoul

rexthedog -
Poorsport22 - How good are national squads? In todays game and big $$$ where do they stack up?

Does:

Man City (joe hart only English starter) beat England (we'll let Joe play for ENG) ?

Juventus beat Spain ?

I'd pick

Madrid
City
Spain
Bayern

But Cesc Fabregas just signed for Chelsea so football is dead to me. Phone Post 3.0
Add Barca Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 1:20 PM
rexthedog
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lionsoul -
rexthedog -

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

I'd pick

Madrid
City
Spain
Bayern

Add Barca Phone Post 3.0
To what? Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 2:27 PM
mjsalmon
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only way Jurgen gets fired is if they go 0-3 and get smoked in every game and just look terrible. Advancing would be a monster accomplishment.
We have Tim Howard, we have a chance. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 2:41 PM
lionsoul

rexthedog -
lionsoul -
rexthedog -

Does:

Juventus beat Spain ?

I'd pick

Madrid
City
Spain
Bayern

Add Barca Phone Post 3.0
To what? Phone Post 3.0
Just to the list of club teams that would beat just about any national team.

Spain is an anomaly (basically barca reincarnated) Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 3:11 PM
lionsoul

Here we go!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 3:19 PM
Jodinho

Any countries other than UK showing the protests? Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 3:22 PM
lionsoul

Jodinho - Any countries other than UK showing the protests? Phone Post 3.0
Nope Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 3:26 PM
MarcVanBas

lionsoul - 
Jodinho - Any countries other than UK showing the protests? Phone Post 3.0
Nope Phone Post 3.0

Brazil need a good win and hope it chills some of the protesters down

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.