UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bizarre workplace problem

6/11/14 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Back from the dead
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What did the manager do to get fired?
6/11/14 4:20 PM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They could be liable for his relo and related reliance damages FWIW.

Best bet is to let him work a probationary period then say it didn't work out.
6/11/14 4:36 PM
Fake Pie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure the OP knows his name and where he is from and has never even though about Googling based on that.

Yes, the OP just has to be leaving something out, there has to be something you thought of that he didn't... or not.

I'm not saying it hurts to throw out suggestions just in case, but some of you are so incredulous that there can't be a solution.
6/11/14 6:11 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Have the owners files criminal charges against the ex-manager?"

It's less than 48 hours old. Lawsuits are in the works but I doubt anything's been filed yet. I expect it will all be civil, not criminal. That's all outside of my responsibilities, though; all my shit's covered.
6/11/14 6:14 PM
BarkLikeADog

"Best bet is to let him work a probationary period then say it didn't work out."

Thanks; I was thinking the same. Also get him enough coin to cover the truck back.
6/11/14 6:18 PM
BarkLikeADog

"I'm sure the OP knows his name and where he is from and has never even though about Googling based on that...some of you are so incredulous..."

Correct, thanks. I knew in the first 30 seconds that he wasn't a match & finished the interview as quickly as possible. I'd pushed the whole thing out of mind by lunch. It's like "What was the name of the third caller on Bob & Tom this morning?" Just completely useless info in the moment.
6/11/14 6:22 PM
Stupidnewbie
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's actually a free online service provided by upstanding citizen volunteers who track down and connect individuals over the internet. They are called the 4chan Foundation, google them.
6/11/14 7:30 PM
GaspareBJJ
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - "I'm sure the OP knows his name and where he is from and has never even though about Googling based on that...some of you are so incredulous..."

Correct, thanks. I knew in the first 30 seconds that he wasn't a match & finished the interview as quickly as possible. I'd pushed the whole thing out of mind by lunch. It's like "What was the name of the third caller on Bob & Tom this morning?" Just completely useless info in the moment.
I know you said the old manager is uncooperative, but can you maybe call him yourself and atleast try to talk some sense into the guy? Not for the sake of the company but for the poor guy moving.

What about hire an IT guy to retrieve all the damaged computer info? Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:18 AM
BarkLikeADog

"will the outgoing manager talk to you at all?"
"maybe give the outgoing manager a call"
"maybe call him yourself"

Such an odd presumption.
6/12/14 12:29 AM
BarkLikeADog

"What did the manager do to get fired?"

I didn't ask & don't have the kind of relationship with the owners that I'd expect a straight answer, but I'd guess that doing shit *like* replacing good employees for personal reasons under the table might be a contributing factor.
6/12/14 12:40 AM
Death and Taxes
1559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like business in Las Vegas Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:52 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 06/12/14 12:54 AM
Yes, all the hallmarks of Vegas. For concision, I left out a couple years' worth of drama featuring delusional, entitled trust fund kids that couldn't hold a job at a car wash blazing a trail of burnt bridges across the city & industry, lol.
6/12/14 1:03 AM
Death and Taxes
1559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - Yes, all the hallmarks of Vegas. For concision, I left out a couple years' worth of drama featuring delusional, entitled trust fund kids that couldn't hold a job at a car wash blazing a trail of burnt bridges across the city & industry, lol.
I was trying to think what property this might be at but that statement doesn't really narrow it down. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 2:10 AM
Wovito

Just tell the truth. Disclose everything.
6/12/14 2:18 AM
Leigh
917 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Simplest solution to me seems to be to promote the kid that old manager disliked. There is a position for a manager now, right? Kid gets it, old manager is made angry and new guy replaces kid (I use the word "kid" simply as an identifier). Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 2:19 AM
Suplush
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When the new guy shows up, take him with you to kick the old managers ass Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 3:49 AM
BarkLikeADog

" that statement doesn't really narrow it down."

You said a mouthful.

I am talented at nondisclosure.
6/12/14 3:54 AM
BarkLikeADog

"Simplest solution to me seems to be to promote the kid that old manager disliked."

Employee is needed where he is. He would also not do well in management. It's a better paying position than management anyway. Plus the management position was essentially superfluous. Another manager has taken over the fired manager's duties & everyone's cool with that.

No one wins by juggling everybody around for the unqualified stranger except the unqualified stranger.

6/12/14 4:06 AM
BJJBuster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go thru company phone records leading up to interview. At some point he had to call him on work phone. Also how did the guy get to the interview? Did the company by chance pay his travel?

This is a bad situation but if mgr quit chances are this guy won't just show up at end of month if he never heard another word. I'm willing to be the would pick up the phone and call or something esp if contact stops after mgr got fired. If u had a job offer and then no contact for 2, 3, 4 weeks would u just show up out of the blue? This doesn't make sense Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 4:28 AM
Cotton
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/14 4:35 AM
If the guy you interviewed is a nice enough guy talk to management about getting him employed. If you don't do that it will not end well. If I am that other guy and I moved to another state for a job only to be told it doesn't exist I am going to sue civilly. If he is not rational he could come back and go postal. That really is the type of thing to make someone lose their mind. Try to come up with a remedy as this is obviously an awful situation.

It also sucks because even though you didn't create this problem, it is your problem, OP. You didn't ask for it, but this poor fuck is going to want to kill someone if he shows up in another state after quitting his job and selling his place only to hear some crazy story about how he doesn't have a job. This guy only knows you and will only think you are trying to ruin his life. It could go very badly. I also don't know from a legal standpoint what leg this guy would have to stand on (if any) but I know I would sue the fuck out of that company if this happened to me. That truly is ruining someone's life.
6/12/14 4:36 AM
BarkLikeADog

^"At some point he had to call him on work phone." etc.

Seems unlikely but I'll look into it.

I don't know how he got there, but I'm sure the company didn't pay for it.

I personally have moved thinking I had a job secured only to find nothing on arrival, but I'm a retard & have no idea how common that it is in the normal people world.
6/12/14 4:46 AM
BarkLikeADog

" If I am that other guy and I moved to another state for a job only to be told it doesn't exist I am going to sue civilly."

I doubt he'd be able to produce any paperwork. The job is vapor. It would be an unlikely suit at best.

I'm a little worried about the violence part, just not towards me as it was very clear to him during the interview that he is not qualified & that I wouldn't be recommending him, & I strongly implied it would be foolish to take the job even if the manager offered it to him. But people are hungry & hear what they want to hear; I can't know what's in his head.
6/12/14 4:47 AM
Cotton
856 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also try texting old manager if you have his number. Tell him you don't care about situation or to get involved, but want that guy's info so he knows he doesn't have a job and that it is the right thing to do not for the company but for this poor fuck to show up from out of state without a job. Maybe he will use some reason that way?
6/12/14 4:50 AM
Los Angeles
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cotton - If the guy you interviewed is a nice enough guy talk to management about getting him employed. If you don't do that it will not end well. If I am that other guy and I moved to another state for a job only to be told it doesn't exist I am going to sue civilly. If he is not rational he could come back and go postal. That really is the type of thing to make someone lose their mind. Try to come up with a remedy as this is obviously an awful situation.

It also sucks because even though you didn't create this problem, it is your problem, OP. You didn't ask for it, but this poor fuck is going to want to kill someone if he shows up in another state after quitting his job and selling his place only to hear some crazy story about how he doesn't have a job. This guy only knows you and will only think you are trying to ruin his life. It could go very badly. I also don't know from a legal standpoint what leg this guy would have to stand on (if any) but I know I would sue the fuck out of that company if this happened to me. That truly is ruining someone's life.
Absolutely this.

In to find out how this situation plays out.. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 4:56 AM
Cotton

I hate to scare you with the thoughts of violence, but it is something that needs to be taken into consideration. We have no idea (assuming he does follow through and show up for employment) what the guy did to get there. It may have been difficult for him and this could send him over the edge.

You need to express this to the owners that this situation could lead to something dangerous. It puts employees at potential risk IMO. They should hire security for the day he is said to show up if you don't have any job for him. I mean that seriously too.

As for the legal stuff, I know I would try something. If not that go to the media and/or try to ruin the company's reputation though every means I could think of.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.