UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Does anybody live in/near Arlington, VA?

6/11/14 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
youhavetocallmenighthawk
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It looks like I could be making the move to the DC area this summer. I'm currently in Washington state but job opportunities are luring me away. I'm trying to land a job on Fort Belvoir and I was wondering what would be the best places to live without having a ridiculous commute.

I've done some research on the internet obviously but i think it would be beneficial to get some advice from somebody living there, or has lived there. I'd be looking for an apartment, probably a studio or 1 bedroom, as it is just going to be me and my small dog.

This is exciting for me, just trying to gather information at this point, though.
6/11/14 3:14 PM
Slowshot
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'lll tell you the same thing I tell everybody. Anacostia. You can get a much bigger place for your money, and you won't have to worry about dealing with obnoxious yuppies and college kids at the bars.
6/11/14 3:15 PM
DaveFu
1877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck!
6/11/14 3:25 PM
PatK
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work next to Arlington Heights, IL

Not that that will help you with anything, just thought I'd like to share.

6/11/14 3:36 PM
youhavetocallmenighthawk
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slowshot - I'lll tell you the same thing I tell everybody. Anacostia. You can get a much bigger place for your money, and you won't have to worry about dealing with obnoxious yuppies and college kids at the bars.

I'll check that out, thanks man.

Thanks DaveFu

Pat K, who knows, it might be the info that gets me to that next level.
6/11/14 3:45 PM
DaveFu
1877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao is nearby that area. I think Daredevil73 is a little further south. Most of the OGers in that area are in and around Fairfax Co./Dulles.
6/11/14 4:00 PM
Pencil Neck
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slowshot - I'lll tell you the same thing I tell everybody. Anacostia. You can get a much bigger place for your money, and you won't have to worry about dealing with obnoxious yuppies and college kids at the bars.

Not sure if serious. I used to live in Arlington but moved to NYC in '82, and recently came back to the NoVA area in 2011. Back when I grew up in Arlington, Anascostia was the bad part of Washington DC. Don't know about now but I doubt it's changed since SE DC (where Anascostia is) is still a shit hole. Not having to worry about yuppies and college kids at bars is right because the ghetto thugs and druggies keep them away what with the raping, killing, carjacking, etc.
6/11/14 4:17 PM
Jersey201
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work in Arlington,live in Fairfax. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 4:34 PM
Slowshot
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pencil Neck - 

Not sure if serious. I used to live in Arlington but moved to NYC in '82, and recently came back to the NoVA area in 2011. Back when I grew up in Arlington, Anascostia was the bad part of Washington DC. Don't know about now but I doubt it's changed since SE DC (where Anascostia is) is still a shit hole. Not having to worry about yuppies and college kids at bars is right because the ghetto thugs and druggies keep them away what with the raping, killing, carjacking, etc.

Well, I mean, no place is PERFECT.
6/11/14 4:37 PM
DaveFu

Jersey201 - I work in Arlington,live in Fairfax. Phone Post 3.0

MY GAWD YOUR COMMUTE!!!!
6/11/14 4:49 PM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/11/14 5:15 PM
You don't want to live in Arlington. It is expensive and would be a terrible commute.

Falls Church, Alexandria, Franconia, Lorton
6/11/14 4:50 PM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slowshot - 
Pencil Neck - 

Well, I mean, no place is PERFECT.

Anacostia... Doesn't OMAR live there?

Parts of Fort Washington are okay...
6/11/14 5:06 PM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lived in Falls Church near Tyson's Corner and enjoyed that area. I liked Arlington, Alexandria, and DC was very cool in general. The downside is that the traffic in that area is some of the worst I've seen in the entire country. Definitely plan your commute accordingly.
6/11/14 5:10 PM
Tuefel Hunden
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coming to this area, just expect traffic and everything being expensive. Fredericksburg is a great little city about 40 miles from Belvior. You would have to deal with 95 traffic, but you will save a ton in living expenses.

My opinion... pick another city. Nothing good about working there.

Good luck

6/11/14 5:15 PM
Synado

Tuefel Hunden - 

Coming to this area, just expect traffic and everything being expensive. Fredericksburg is a great little city about 40 miles from Belvior. You would have to deal with 95 traffic, but you will save a ton in living expenses.

My opinion... pick another city. Nothing good about working there.

Good luck

I mean Franconia!!! Nice Catch
6/11/14 5:31 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd rather cut off a limb than commute on I-95 near Springfield/FT Belvior area. If justifying this with "cheap rent" is your consolation..  "meh", I'd choose quality of time/life all day long.

That said, there is no traffic-free answer you either have to live in Alexandria and eat shit on rt 1, or consider trudging along on the steady moving, but slow 286 fairfax pkwy in Burke or West Springfield.

6/11/14 5:36 PM
Synado

Bull_in_chinashop - 

I'd rather cut off a limb than commute on I-95 near Springfield/FT Belvior area. If justifying this with "cheap rent" is your consolation..  "meh", I'd choose quality of time/life all day long.

That said, there is no traffic-free answer you either have to live in Alexandria and eat shit on rt 1, or consider trudging along on the steady moving, but slow 286 fairfax pkwy in Burke or West Springfield.

Its not bad if you ensure your going the opposite direction of traffic.
6/11/14 5:43 PM
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I grew up in Arlington and live in falls church now. Both are VERY safe areas, but it's extremely expensive for next to nothing. Traffic is getting worse... I'd rather move to LA where the traffic is awful but weather is nice all year.

If you make a ton of money and like to be taxed and nickled and dimed for pretty much everything (or have rich parents like so many here) arlington is nice.
6/11/14 5:54 PM
youhavetocallmenighthawk

Thanks for the responses. Everything being expensive sucks for sure, but I THINK i'll be making enough to get by, plus i'm going to be going to school and pulling GI Bill money, which is a good chunk of change in that area. I may not have any spare time on my hands, but fuck it. i'll pay a little more for a safe area, even if that means a super small apartment. I don't need much room. I understand traffic is going to be bonkers so I'm trying to get fairly close. i'll look into all the neighborhoods listed.
6/11/14 5:59 PM
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people pay more for a 600 sq ft efficiency in VA/DC than others do for a HUGE house mortgage in other states. It's insane.
6/11/14 10:24 PM
Pencil Neck
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you work in DC, then the commute from Arlington wouldn't be that bad if you use the Metro. Arlington is small enough that if you're lucky you'd be within 1/2 hour walk to a Metro station, if not it's still small enough that catching a bus to the Metro isn't all that bad.
6/11/14 10:38 PM
DaveFu

What it feels like to commute in and around DC:

6/11/14 11:43 PM
Synado

Edited: 06/11/14 11:43 PM
Pencil Neck - If you work in DC, then the commute from Arlington wouldn't be that bad if you use the Metro. Arlington is small enough that if you're lucky you'd be within 1/2 hour walk to a Metro station, if not it's still small enough that catching a bus to the Metro isn't all that bad.

Problem is he is working at Fort Belvoir. Unless he is going in the side gate in the morning he is SOL. No metro goes there and its bad traffic from multiple angles. Unless he is one of those 5AM people.
6/12/14 2:28 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Synado -
Pencil Neck - If you work in DC, then the commute from Arlington wouldn't be that bad if you use the Metro. Arlington is small enough that if you're lucky you'd be within 1/2 hour walk to a Metro station, if not it's still small enough that catching a bus to the Metro isn't all that bad.

Problem is he is working at Fort Belvoir. Unless he is going in the side gate in the morning he is SOL. No metro goes there and its bad traffic from multiple angles. Unless he is one of those 5AM people.
Correctamundo. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 5:11 AM
LiveWire
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in Ashburn at the moment, seems like a nice place to live. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.