UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Does anybody live in/near Arlington, VA?

6/12/14 6:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soup Nazi
1326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/12/14 8:44 AM
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/14 8:46 AM
If you're going to be working in Ft. Belvoir, look for something in the Alexandria, Hybla Valley, Newington, Lorton, Franconia, or Springfield area. Look for places with easy access to Route 1 and/or Telegraph Road.

I live just off Route 1 in Alexandria (in Groveton) and Ft. Belvoir is probably less than 20 minutes away, depending on traffic. There are affordable (subjective) places to be found in and around the area.

6/12/14 8:48 AM
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/12/14 8:52 AM
Daredevil73
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lorton would probably be your best bet. You'll get more for your money than you would in Springfield.

I live in Woodbridge and I was on a task commuting to Belvoir everyday for a while. It really wasn't that bad, actually.
6/12/14 8:54 AM
naqis
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends what you like. If you want space, don't need the DC scene of bars and chicks, then there's plenty in the Alexandria area of Fairfax co (where Belvoir is located) that's decent and livable. The commute to Belvoir is going to suck if you live more than a few miles from it. I frankly hate the Belvoir area, but lots of people love it and it's more affordable than Alexandria city. Don't know much about areas south of Belvoir like Lorton, but there's probably some decent spots down that way too. Phone Post
6/12/14 10:33 AM
Tidbits
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/14 10:35 AM
Commuting anywhere in or around DC sucks period. It is all a matter of your pain tolerance. M A lot more information is need to assist.

Married or Single?
Kids?
Do you own a car?
How do you feel about public transportation?
What is your income level?
What do you consider an unacceptable commute time?
What are important amenities, i.e. close to clubs, gyms, grocery stores etc?
Do you prefer suburban to city living or vice versa?
6/12/14 1:18 PM
boooring

As someone who's worked at Belvoir on and off for the majority of their career - base traffic absolutely sucks now after the last BRAC.

Unless you plan on getting to work before 6:30 everyday you WILL spend at least 30 minutes just getting on (can go faster) and off post. That's 1 hour to go about 3 miles each way.

DO NOT put Rt. 1 in your commute route longer than need be. It's horrible most days in the afternoon.

The best way is when you get badged and sticker for your car is to take Walker Gate and live somewhere by the Mt. Vernon Pkwy.
6/12/14 1:21 PM
Slowshot
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daredevil73 - Lorton would probably be your best bet. You'll get more for your money than you would in Springfield.

I live in Woodbridge and I was on a task commuting to Belvoir everyday for a while. It really wasn't that bad, actually.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with the whole Hoodbridge/Dale Shitty scene where your entire town is like one shitty route 1 strip mall.
6/12/14 1:27 PM
Slowshot
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP,

All kidding aside, the issue is that you have to work at Belvoir.

The problem is that the southern virginia suburbs get shitty quicker than the western virginia suburbs, and there's less "middle ground" between cost and crapiness. Heading south you go VERY quickly from nice and expensive, to cheap and trashy, and there's not a whole lot of transition between the two.

It also depends a LOT on your tolerance for traffic and public transportation.

Arlington Plusses: IMO it's a great place to live. Lots of culture/nightlight, high end shopping, restaurants, etc. Very yuppie.
Minuses: Traffic is AWFUL, it's expensive as hell, and if you hate yuppies, it'lll drive you crazy.

Tidbits and Khun Kao made good posts above. If you answer Tidbits questions, we should be able to make some good recommendations.
6/12/14 1:31 PM
Tidbits

Slowshot - 
Daredevil73 - Lorton would probably be your best bet. You'll get more for your money than you would in Springfield.

Yeah, but then you have to deal with the whole Hoodbridge/Dale Shitty scene where your entire town is like one shitty route 1 strip mall.

Hey now, Woodbridge isn't that bad....OK I live in Dumfries but...even so. Rte 1 needs a serious facelift between Dale Blvd and the Pkway.
6/12/14 3:37 PM
youhavetocallmenighthawk
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tidbits - Commuting anywhere in or around DC sucks period. It is all a matter of your pain tolerance. M A lot more information is need to assist.

Married or Single?
Kids?
Do you own a car?

It's just me and my small dog. I own a car and would prefer to use it unless it makes a lot more sense to use public transportation.

I'm trying to spend no more than 1300-1500 a month in rent, it doesn't bother me if i have to live somewhere small, as long as it's not in a horrible neighborhood.

If it took longer than an hour to get to work (I don't know where on Belvoir the place is yet, I suppose that would help a lot) i'd be bummed.

Of course i'd like to be near businesses such as grocery stores and some bars but i don't mind going a little out of my way.
6/12/14 3:55 PM
Tidbits

youhavetocallmenighthawk - 
Tidbits - Commuting anywhere in or around DC sucks period. It is all a matter of your pain tolerance. M A lot more information is need to assist.

Married or Single?
Kids?
Do you own a car?

It's just me and my small dog. I own a car and would prefer to use it unless it makes a lot more sense to use public transportation.

I'm trying to spend no more than 1300-1500 a month in rent, it doesn't bother me if i have to live somewhere small, as long as it's not in a horrible neighborhood.

If it took longer than an hour to get to work (I don't know where on Belvoir the place is yet, I suppose that would help a lot) i'd be bummed.

Of course i'd like to be near businesses such as grocery stores and some bars but i don't mind going a little out of my way.

Based upon those parameters - Me personally I would recommend living in the Springfield/Lorton area (not to sure about current rents though). There are also several areas in Downtown DC that you could live and commuting would not be terrible.
6/12/14 5:34 PM
youhavetocallmenighthawk
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tidbits - 
youhavetocallmenighthawk - 

Married or Single?
Kids?
Do you own a car?

Based upon those parameters - Me personally I would recommend living in the Springfield/Lorton area (not to sure about current rents though). There are also several areas in Downtown DC that you could live and commuting would not be terrible.

i'll check into springfield and lorton, thanks for the input
6/12/14 5:55 PM
Slowshot

Springfield isn't a bad choice, at all.
6/12/14 6:06 PM
soreshins
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Might have to move to DC myself sometime fairly soon. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:19 PM
soreshins
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My first time working down here this week and the traffic is indeed amazingly shitty. I'm staying out at national harbour tonight - nice little spot.

Khun kao - i may be down here again for a week here and there over the next year. Do you run a gym and any chance of dropping by?

*sorry for thread hijack* Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 11:26 PM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you lived near the Franconia Metro stop you could still take the side gate in and have access to downtown DC and Arlington.
6/13/14 12:16 AM
Herb15E
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm actually moving to the Tysons corner area soon as well, I'm transferring out there from California. What can I expect for housing prices in that area? My office is in Tysons right off the 7 Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 12:22 AM
Slowshot

You can expect a lot, more in McLean, less in Vienna, but none of it cheap.
6/13/14 6:16 AM
Pencil Neck
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't McLean one of the most expensive areas in NoVA? And not like yuppie expensive, but like executives, ambassadors, government bigwigs expensive.
6/13/14 8:18 AM
Daredevil73
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slowshot - 

lol, yeah right, you little bitches keep coming down here like a bunch of invading ants to hit our Ikea and BBP.

We've actually had some nice areas pop up around here.
6/13/14 10:41 AM
Tidbits

soreshins - My first time working down here this week and the traffic is indeed amazingly shitty. I'm staying out at national harbour tonight - nice little spot.

Khun kao - i may be down here again for a week here and there over the next year. Do you run a gym and any chance of dropping by?

*sorry for thread hijack* Phone Post 3.0

Khun Kao teaches at Pentagon MMA http://www.pentagonmma.com/
6/13/14 5:23 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herb15E - I'm actually moving to the Tysons corner area soon as well, I'm transferring out there from California. What can I expect for housing prices in that area? My office is in Tysons right off the 7 Phone Post 3.0

Tyson's will offer you alot more commuting options and therefore many more housing options. I work in Tyson's and live in Herndon/Chantilly. My commute is 40-45 min in the morning and 30 in the evening. via the Dulles Toll Road. Homes in this area will roughly (very) average from 350-500k for a single family.

6/13/14 5:43 PM
Fabes
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GroundSkillz.com, Asst. Regional Mgr.

Tysons Corner is right near where I work too.

go check out www.therockbjj.com if you want to trane

The OG's own The People's Knee & Brendan Raedy teach and trane there.

6/15/14 6:06 PM
Herb15E
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fabes - 

Tysons Corner is right near where I work too.

go check out www.therockbjj.com if you want to trane

The OG's own The People's Knee & Brendan Raedy teach and trane there.

excellent, ive been looking around at a good place to train once i move out there permanently

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.