UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Should I feel sorry for her?

6/12/14 12:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Vic Vinegar
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

article posted in my local newspaper...

The single mom has been waiting for more than three years for a place to call home.

A place she can afford.

A place for her three children.

A place that doesn't eat up more than half of her monthly income.

When that place will be offered to her is anybody's guess. It's a waiting game. Pure and simple.

Where it will be, she doesn't know.

In the meantime, 37-year-old Kory Foxall worries about her children. About having enough money left after rent and utilities are paid, to buy food, clothes and other basic needs.

She is frustrated at the system. A system that seems unsympathetic to her plight. A system that makes her explain to her kids why she can't afford hotdog day at school, or why she always says no when they ask to go to places like Cheeky Monkeys.

“I don't see anybody doing anything about it,” she says.

“Something needs to be done. There's way too many people on the housing list. We shouldn't have to wait that long.”

Kory has been on the Niagara Regional Housing list for affordable housing for 3 ½ years.

She is one of about 9,800 people — or about 6,000 families — in Niagara waiting for affordable housing. Single people. Seniors. Parents with children. Single parents with children. Couples. People who are homeless. Victims of violence.

All waiting for housing they can afford.

And in the meantime, many struggling to pay full market rent, on limited incomes.

Across Niagara, wait times vary based on geography, family size, and type of accommodation needed.

Single people, between the ages of 16 and 54, have the longest wait. According to NRH statistics, the wait for a one-bedroom apartment in St. Catharines is about nine years, 10 years in the Falls, and 13 in Welland.

Seniors will wait from just over three years in Pelham, to nearly five years for a one-bedroom in Welland.

And families like Kory's, who need multiple bedrooms, can wait for up to eight years. Lincoln has the longest wait for a three-bedroom. In St. Catharines, Kory's wait is on par with statistics — 3 ½ years for a four-bedroom apartment.

Niagara has more than 8,200 affordable housing units, some owned by NRH, some by not-for-profits and co-operatives, others private.

The wait list problem is complicated. The solution, not easy, says Lora Beckwith, NRH general manager.

Niagara's 10-year action plan on housing and homelessness — A Home for All — outlines affordable housing challenges and actions needed to allow everyone in Niagara to have a home.

Among the problems:

A continuing lack of permanent affordable housing compared to demand;

Existing social housing is getting older and is in need of repair. Just under half of the current affordable housing stock is between 30 and 60 years old.

Vacancy rates have increased, likely due to higher-income renters buying homes and leaving the rental market, and the substandard quality of some rental units at the lower end of the market making them difficult to rent.

The number of rental units has been decreasing because they're being converted into condos, and few new rentals are being built.

Average rents in Niagara continue to rise.

Rental housing is becoming unaffordable to households with low incomes. Average house prices continue to rise making home ownership less affordable.

A greater range of dwelling types are needed, especially for seniors and smaller households.

Part of the challenge, too, involves a low turnover rate.

When a family finally gets into affordable housing, they feel like they've “won the lottery” because of lower rent and support programs made available to them, and they don't want to move out, and nor can they because of their life situation, says Wendy Thompson, NRH Community Resource Unit Manager.

Says Beckwith: “If we had a better economy, if we had more jobs, we could get housing to work the way it was supposed to work.

“It would be more transitional than permanent.”

More than half of the NRH's operating costs — roughly $54 million — is paid for by taxpayers. A quarter comes from renters themselves. And the remainder, from both levels of government — 16.8% from the feds, 5.3% from the province, says Beckwith.

In addition, federal and provincial governments chipped in $7.9 million most recently to build the Fitch Street building in Welland.

On this day, Kory's three children, ages 7, 9, and 10 are at school. Her 21-year-old daughter just finished her second year of college to become a paramedic, and will likely move back home for the summer.

Kory nurses a cup of tea on her living room sofa, and tries to explain the frustration of waiting in a line with no visible end.

She has been on Ontario Disability Support Program assistance for four years. Her monthly cheque is divided into two parts — $886 for rent and utilities, and $750 for basic needs.

Problem is, rent alone for her four-bedroom apartment in a St. Catharines co-operative housing complex is $940 a month. Add on electric utility (heat or air conditioning), at $400-500 monthly, and it means she blows her rent amount and needs to carve into her grocery money just to have a place to live.

Even factoring in other supplements — the Ontario Trillium Benefit (which she will soon lose) and the Canada Child Tax Benefit — housing chews up more than half of her total income. She's tried to find cheaper rent, but can't. And she's hesitant to move because she'd lose the $1,100 in co-op fees she paid during the first year, and she'd have to fork out first and last month's rent again.

Affordable housing would give her financial breathing room.

In St. Catharines, she'd pay $278 for a four-bedroom apartment. Of course the ODSP shelter portion would be reduced too, but she wouldn't be stealing from her food money to pay for housing.

She would be able to use basic needs money for, well, basic needs.

It might mean fewer trips to the food bank. And maybe she'd be spared the embarrassment of using a food voucher at the grocery store — showing ID and signing in front of everyone. “When I feel they're judging me, I just brush it off and try not to let it bother me,” she says.

She'd be able to save a little, even treat her kids once in a while. Maybe afford hot dog day. Maybe take her kids camping this summer.

She wants people to know that she's grateful for assistance. And tries to cut costs where she can.

She's home all day, but waits until evening to do her laundry at cheaper rates. She's trying to quit smoking — hoping to save a couple hundred bucks a year. And she dutifully explains to her children the economics of paying $3 per kid for a hotdog at school, and using that $3 at the grocery store to buy a package of 12 wieners.

Yet, she still can't make ends meet. She has no savings. “If I was to die tomorrow, my children would be left in debt,” she says. No education fund for her children. And an OSAP loan to pay back from an attempt at college.

She has monthly bills for a cellphone, Internet and cable — all expenses she considers necessities. And this month alone, her kids came home from school with forms for three fieldtrips. Total cost: $35.

“I may not be able to afford the best, but we have things,” she says.

Her children have toys — Barbies, Monster High dolls, flip flops.

“They're fed. They're full. They have a roof over their head. They have comfortable beds to sleep in.”

“I do what I can do, and I do the best for me and my kids,” she says.

“I make the best of what I have.

“I just don't want to struggle pay cheque to pay cheque.” Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:19 PM
Vic Vinegar
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2014/06/11/poverty-rent-eats-away-at-grocery-money

Non frat version
-37 year old single mother of 4 kids waiting for government housing

-considers cell, internet, and cable necessities

-cant afford her childs hot dog days at school because she spent all her money on smokes

-has a college debt to pay back for a course she never finished

The newspaper disabled the comments section for this article wonder why. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:20 PM
Samurai Clown
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoker who refuses to give up cable? Fuck feeling sorry.

Also, need more explanation on why disability. Legit or milking the system? Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:21 PM
KidPittsburgh
1148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes--Pay you damn Child Support, ya fuck.
6/12/14 12:24 PM
Team GDP's cancerous testicle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck her, her children will either realize what a parasite she is and grow up better or will be dumb as rocks and know nothing
6/12/14 12:26 PM
6ULDV8

Where's my goddam house!?

6/12/14 12:26 PM
Vic Vinegar

Samurai Clown - Smoker who refuses to give up cable? Fuck feeling sorry.

Also, need more explanation on why disability. Legit or milking the system? Phone Post 3.0
My guess is probably something stress related. I went through her facebook and she doesnt look like a person with a disability.

Read another article a couple months ago about how habitat for humanity built a nice house for a somalian family of seven. The dad was so happy about the free house he said he can now go out and look for a job.

Makes me fucking sick. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:28 PM
shaqitup
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she gets 1500 a month for disability, smokes cigarettes, has 4 kids, and no education.

She also had a kid at like 16.

Why have more before you are able to get your shit together is the question?

I feel sorry for the children, but why does she act entitled. They didn't just appear out in her yard.

she took dicks, let them come inside her, carried a child to term, and then did it 3 more times.
6/12/14 12:29 PM
Mencken
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes,  you should feel bad for her.  She has to live in St Catharines

6/12/14 12:30 PM
jdindiana
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a fucking job Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:31 PM
Vic Vinegar

Mencken -

Hay-O! My city does suck but itbis my city! Phone Post 3.0
TheKidAintMine
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where are the hell is the father of the kids? Or maybe the fathers of the kids? Damn, woman, close your legs and stop procreating!!
Aaron Becker

fuck her, piece of shit should have her children taken away from her given a one way trip to the moon
6/12/14 12:33 PM
Festus
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't afford hotdog day for her kids at school but won't give up smoking? Priorities. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:34 PM
Vic Vinegar

Funny thing people keep complaining about lack of jobs in the niagara region, yet we keep flying in thousands of jamaicans and Mexicans every year to work on the farms. Seems people are to proud to pick fruit but now too proud to suck on the governments tit. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:42 PM
ocbjjchick
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She should move to California. They just hand shit out to single mothers with kids who don't want to work or give up smokes so their kids can eat hot dogs at school.
6/12/14 12:42 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never feel sorry for these people.

Its mostly people who make poor decision after poor decision until it finally snowballs.

6/12/14 12:46 PM
Samurai Clown
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoShotYushinOkami -

I never feel sorry for these people.

Its mostly people who make poor decision after poor decision until it finally snowballs.

That's terrible! They didn't make these decisions! Someone else did and now they must live with it! How dare you sit on your high horse... Phone Post 3.0
6/12/14 12:47 PM
shaqitup
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus - Can't afford hotdog day for her kids at school but won't give up smoking? Priorities. Phone Post 3.0

neither of those are priorities IMO.

$3 for a hot dog?

Buy a pack with buns and both your kids can have 2-3 when they get home for that price.
6/12/14 12:48 PM
mixedmartialfarts
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"She's trying to quit smoking — hoping to save a couple hundred bucks a year."

quitting smoking would save way more than a couple hundred bucks a year.

6/12/14 12:49 PM
hubris
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
6/12/14 12:49 PM
OblongBox

No thanks

6/12/14 12:56 PM
Mencken
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mixedmartialfarts - 

"She's trying to quit smoking — hoping to save a couple hundred bucks a year."

quitting smoking would save way more than a couple hundred bucks a year.

Yah, no shit.  Even if she buys by the carton, she's still spending a fuckload on smokes.  Nobody who smokes one a day needs to "try" to quit.  She clearly smokes more than that.  A low estimate of 3 smokes a day, and buying by the carton, is still over $425 per year.  And dollars to donuts says she smokes more than that and buys by the pack

6/12/14 12:57 PM
Mencken

Vic Vinegar - 
Mencken -

Hay-O! My city does suck but itbis my city! Phone Post 3.0

Oh cool.  You should do an AMA thread on what it's like to be a meth addict

6/12/14 1:03 PM
nhb1
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read the story in morning paper, entitled bullshitter! Get a job at least part time to make it look good! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.