UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> What would happen if we fell in a black hole?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/12/14 11:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
iHazpoopz
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're torn apart atom by atom. Say someone was being pulled on but further away than you, time would be moving slower for one person.

Then, each of your atoms become a part of the universe, and a piece of you goes on for Infiniti.

Or maybe on the other end you get rearranged and that's what heaven is. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 1:22 AM
Mike_in_CA
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As you are about to go in you would be going so fast time would stand still and you would never go in. Event horizon Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 1:24 AM
IronHands
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The star gif, if a blue could be so kind:

http://i.imgur.com/ySjZdXF.gif
6/13/14 1:28 AM
thebearbohland
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IronHands - The star gif, if a blue could be so kind:

VU Phone Post 3.0
IKissedRobLiefeldWhileCleaningMyAssWithJiT83
1549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once you go black, you never go back. Phone Post 3.0
Jambo888
1406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you would be crushed down to the size of an atom

6/13/14 1:44 AM
Metal Box Combatives
481 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You go into the galaxy's butthole. Duh. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 1:49 AM
Val Larralde
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Phoenix, AZ

Is that gif a model based on our best guess or is that real life?

6/13/14 1:50 AM
newjack900
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You become spaghetti and I think I heard a theory that time essentially freezes, so you experience the feeling of being ripped apart for what seems like an eternity.. It may have been from Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' I may be wrong tho
6/13/14 2:32 AM
Johnny Tightlips
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thebearbohland -

VU Phone Post 3.0
? Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 3:16 AM
Rabadaba
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is actually a fascinating question. The physics that governs the nature of black holes is general relativity, and it gets a little weird. I took an intro level class in my physics undergrad, so I'll try to recall it to the best of my ability

The event horizon is where light ceases to be able to escape from the black hole, but the point where tidal forces would tear you apart is actually a good deal further in. If you were in a free fall towards the center of a solar mass black hole, from your reference frame it would take about 12 years to reach the "ouch point" due to the effects predicted by general relativity Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 3:23 AM
BJJBuster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rabadaba - This is actually a fascinating question. The physics that governs the nature of black holes is general relativity, and it gets a little weird. I took an intro level class in my physics undergrad, so I'll try to recall it to the best of my ability

The event horizon is where light ceases to be able to escape from the black hole, but the point where tidal forces would tear you apart is actually a good deal further in. If you were in a free fall towards the center of a solar mass black hole, from your reference frame it would take about 12 years to reach the "ouch point" due to the effects predicted by general relativity Phone Post 3.0
Interesting indeed. So what happens for those 12 years Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 3:34 AM
Los Angeles
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it possible to survive going in one? Is this something we'll never be able to find out? Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 3:56 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
1041 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You would emerge from the butthole of mother nature, as a giant, and subsequently contain galaxies and black holes in your eye.

Like the giant we live in Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 3:59 AM
CaptainWoody
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

easedel - 
xXJayRobXx - Spaghtafication Phone Post 3.0

This.

Your body would begin to stretch out vertically starting with the closest point to the black hole and compress horizontally ( like spaghetti being flattened.

Yep

Event Horizon is a bitch
6/13/14 4:06 AM
Dbulletproof
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As mentioned earlier you would experience spaghettification, it works like this:

You would be stretched until you split into two pieces, those two pieces would then both stretch until they both split into two pieces again (making four) they would all stretch making two pieces again (making eight) and on and on and on...

This would happen very quickly though, so I doubt you'd feel it.

Kind of like in Ghostbusters when they cross the streams.
6/13/14 4:08 AM
Los Angeles
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a black hole happened to come earths way what would happen? Are they strong enough to swallow the entire planet? Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 4:11 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
1041 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Los Angeles - If a black hole happened to come earths way what would happen? Are they strong enough to swallow the entire planet? Phone Post 3.0
The experienced ones are. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 6:07 AM
Canooke
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're probably not getting out unless you have a pal who can lower a rope.
6/13/14 6:08 AM
RONINXOM
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny Tightlips -
thebearbohland -

VU Phone Post 3.0
? Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 7:25 AM
Jug full of P
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Los Angeles - If a black hole happened to come earths way what would happen? Are they strong enough to swallow the entire planet? Phone Post 3.0
I don't think black holes move, but for the case of the hypothetical, you would die. We all would Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 7:27 AM
StevetheWeasel
966 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DirtehSneakehs - 
StevetheWeasel -
Los Angeles - 
StevetheWeasel -

Has there ever been a documented case of one our ships getting sucked into one? I read an article that claimed it's possible if you do get stuck in one you be frozen in time, hence you would live forever.

Space is scary. Phone Post 3.0

It's only happened twice.

Both times we permanently lost all communication. The last one went missing right around the time Bio-Station Alpha was discovered.
Wut Phone Post 3.0

I know. Scary stuff.
6/13/14 9:41 AM
disbeliever
880 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Spagettification
6/13/14 11:20 AM
Racer X
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this

6/13/14 6:18 PM
DreamerMMA
803 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
Jug full of P - 
I don't think black holes move, but for the case of the hypothetical, you would die. We all would Phone Post 3.0

Considering our sun is relatively small to medium as far as stars are concerned and 33,000 earths could fit in our sun I'd assume a black hole could swallow the earth about as easily as the Grand Canyon could swallow a grain of sand.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.