UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Camping hacks

6/13/14 8:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phuckles
947 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What camping "hacks" do you have? Any tricks that just make camping better, easier, smarter, or just plain more enjoyable? I seem to learn some cool little trick every time I go out with a new group, what cool tips do you have?

I am going to try cooking smores with peanut butter cups instead of hersheys chocolate bars this weekend. Madness? Yeah. Delicious madness.

Headlamp and a gallon jug for a lantern is a go to for me. Using an old foldgers container to hold TP is another. There are probably 100 things I do that at one point were some type of hack but now are just second nature to me.

Also, we have all seen the "41 camping hacks" online. I know the OG can do better than that.

What do you got?
6/13/14 8:35 AM
Phuckles
947 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One for the OG parents that I created is a treasure hunt for the kids. Just put a pile of them near camp and tell the kids a story of an old stagecoach that was robbed and the robbers buried the treasure (actually a true story up near where we camp sometimes which is where I got the idea). Slightly bury them somewhere and send the kids out to find them.
6/13/14 8:36 AM
SoccerkickrevivaL
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in, bring condoms.
6/13/14 8:37 AM
Phuckles

Put eggs in plastic bags and scramble them. Seal the bag and put it in boiling water to get no mess scrambled eggs in bags.
6/13/14 8:38 AM
vincan469
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/14 8:38 AM
make chaps out of old hockey pants. that way the claws don't dig in when the bear is having his way with you.
6/13/14 8:39 AM
Arglebargle
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I camp a lot but can't think of any hacks off the top of my head. I always bring a heavy duty tarp which has saved my ass many times. Umm... Make sure you bring enough booze.
6/13/14 8:41 AM
SoccerkickrevivaL
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arglebargle - I camp a lot but can't think of any hacks off the top of my head. I always bring a heavy duty tarp which has saved my ass many times. Umm... Make sure you bring enough booze.

Actually this,

It sucks to not have a tarp or two.
6/13/14 8:44 AM
GOREILLAMAN
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 8:47 AM
NORESPECT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phuckles - Put eggs in plastic bags and scramble them. Seal the bag and put it in boiling water to get no mess scrambled eggs in bags.
The plastic wont melt in the boiling water? Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 8:49 AM
Phuckles

NORESPECT - 
Phuckles - Put eggs in plastic bags and scramble them. Seal the bag and put it in boiling water to get no mess scrambled eggs in bags.

Nope. You can actually bring it a step further and add all sorts of other stuff like veggies and meat and basicall have an omelet in a bag.
6/13/14 8:52 AM
kkmmnn
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boil water for your nalgene at night, make tang in there and throw that in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Keeps your feet toasty all night and you have OJ ready for morning time Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 8:53 AM
I No Kung Foo
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phuckles - 
NORESPECT - 

Nope. You can actually bring it a step further and add all sorts of other stuff like veggies and meat and basicall have an omelet in a bag.

What kind of eggs? Animal eggs?
6/13/14 8:55 AM
Phuckles

kkmmnn - Boil water for your nalgene at night, make tang in there and throw that in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Keeps your feet toasty all night and you have OJ ready for morning time Phone Post 3.0

Interdasting. My question is how long does it stay warm? Am I going to wake up with ice water on my feet?
6/13/14 8:56 AM
Phuckles

I No Kung Foo - 
Phuckles - 
NORESPECT - 

What kind of eggs? Animal eggs?

Your mom's eggs. Fertilized.
6/13/14 9:03 AM
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/14 9:04 AM

Ive been camping and back packing most of my life but over the past year ive been leaving a lot of the gear at home and have been using and learning more bushcraft, not sure if thats a hack but it has been liberating to not be as reliant on gear. 

Ive been cooking on the fire instead of a stove, using rocks or a green wood grill.

Ive also been leaving the tent, sleeping bag and pad at home and using in its place a tarp, poncho liner and fire for warmth and  trash bag full of leaves for my pad.  Its surprisingly comfy.  i will probably bring a tent during the summer, buggy months though.

6/13/14 9:11 AM
Phuckles

Very cool chip. I too have been going as light as possible but am doing the family car camping thing this weekend. Bushcraft skills are always welcome in my threads. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 9:14 AM
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a winter situation you can dry your socks against your skin, under your thermal underwear.  Not real pleasent but it works

dont bring a change of clothes just wear what you got dry.

share redundant gear with your mates to lighten the load.  1 stove, 1 big pot is enough for 4 people. 

water tabs over filter if weight is a concern

The new starbucks instant coffee powder is awesome and you can leave the coffee press at home.

6/13/14 9:14 AM
ChipW

Phuckles - Very cool chip. I too have been going as light as possible but am doing the family car camping thing this weekend. Bushcraft skills are always welcome in my threads. Phone Post 3.0

thanks.  I like car camping too.  :-)

6/13/14 9:19 AM
someonestolemysocks
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In to become more one with nature Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 9:21 AM
Phuckles

Freeze gallon jugs of water for your cooler instead of using bagged ice. No watery mess, as they melt you have drinking water, stays frozen longer, and reusable if you don't have to open it. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 9:28 AM
Phuckles

Baby wipes ftw btw fwiw (FYI).
6/13/14 9:33 AM
Altofsky
902 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BushkillBlades.com, Knifemaker
Dakota hole ftw. Good for areas where youre not supposed to have ground fires. Phone Post 3.0
6/13/14 9:33 AM
Phuckles

Get crescent ready to cook crescent roll packs and wrap them around a stuck to slow cook them over the fire. I have been wanting to try this with cinnamon rolls because it sounds awesome but have not tried it yet.
6/13/14 9:34 AM
Phuckles

Altofsky - Dakota hole ftw. Good for areas where youre not supposed to have ground fires. Phone Post 3.0

Just googled that. Interdasting.
6/13/14 9:41 AM
Arglebargle
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phuckles - Freeze gallon jugs of water for your cooler instead of using bagged ice. No watery mess, as they melt you have drinking water, stays frozen longer, and reusable if you don't have to open it. Phone Post 3.0

Oooo this is GOOD

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.