UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> seattle raises minimum wage to 15 dollars

6/14/14 7:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
man meets tate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Seattle City Council just voted to put low-wage workers on a path over the next several years to earning a $15-per-hour minimum wage.

This historic measure came after a five-month process that brought together business and civic leaders, unions and nonprofits in tough negotiations. But the real fuel for Seattle's action came from a growing unease across the United States with income inequality.

You could argue that some level of income inequality is required for our system. That inequality is tolerable, though, because it's coupled with a promise: "Work hard and you'll get ahead."

But more of us every day worry that the promise is fading. After the job losses of the Great Recession, the rise of the 1 percent, the headlines showing CEO pay at 257 times average worker pay, the evidence that race and gender exacerbate income inequality, doubts that this generation of kids will be better off than their parents, crushing student debt burdens, and relentless foreclosures, many are left wondering if the middle class was a fleeting 20th-century phenomenon heading toward extinction.

Over the course of the last five months, as we've debated whether and how to raise the minimum wage in Seattle, I've talked with business owners and workers alike concerned with the widening distance between low-wage workers and the rest of the economy. They all had different thoughts, but they were almost unanimous that we can't keep going the way we're going.

We just can't expect the people who prepare our food, care for our elders and children, and clean our homes and offices to earn wages that keep them trapped in poverty.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/03/opinion/clark-seattle-wage/

6/14/14 7:05 PM
Ham and Egger
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something similar happened in a city called Detroit.
6/14/14 7:08 PM
man meets tate

I think that is a great initiative, the way things have been going in the last couple of years and even decades, with the wealth being concentrated at the top to ridiculous proportions, somethings has got to give, as long as we have a democracy

6/14/14 7:08 PM
Ham and Egger
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Troll on.
6/14/14 7:17 PM
man meets tate

Ham and Egger - Troll on.

keep on being an ignorant piece of shit

6/14/14 7:37 PM
Kinkle

Yep this is really great. The raise in minimum wage will means that the extra money will all come from the CEOs, and that the income gap will be much balanced.

That is the ONLY possible outcome from this. Companies will NOT pass this on to the consumers or the middle class, because.....uhh.... It WONT happen!!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 7:53 PM
Ham and Egger

Companies will leave the city. Cost of everything will go up. We'll see if the second half of the marxist vision is realized in seattle. It certainly hasnt been in detroit.
6/14/14 8:05 PM
ghost of KVR
640 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHomeSteadingBoards.com, Owner

As a small business owner, this would cause me to close up shop and move to another town

6/14/14 8:05 PM
amadeus
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was $12 ten years ago. Considering the rising cost of living as the minimum wage goes up, this is like slapping a band aid on a gun shot wound... A feel good measure that doesn't really do anything to fix the real problem.
6/14/14 8:06 PM
SpicyTaco20

Didn't this pass like a week ago? Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 8:07 PM
David@accu

ghost of KVR - 

As a small business owner, this would cause me to close up shop and move to another town

this
6/14/14 8:11 PM
Stan Wang

well that's it for Seattle then. it will be a ghost town inside of 4 months. too bad, it was a hell of a city for a long time.

:(
6/14/14 8:14 PM
Zenoplata
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is fantastic!

Seattle recently had a great amount of prosperity thanks to companies like Starbucks.

This is going to force many of those companies over here to the East Coast.

I recommend that every city west of Chicago raised their minimum wage to $20.

Also please write your congressman and senator and ask them to increase your local and state taxes, this will "help" your economy very much as well.

Thank you for setting the precedence, Seattle.

Signed,
New York (we need people to fuck up worse than us)
6/14/14 8:17 PM
OblongBox

They will be forced into an understaffed environment with no down time and they'll have to cook the fries and take the orders at the same time.Have fun waiting 15 minutes for your fast food order.

6/14/14 8:25 PM
Ryduce
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am in Seattle right now, and I have gotten more decent job responses and interviews in the past four days than I have on the East coast in the last four years. I have already been offered one job, feel really good about another, and have another interview Monday.

This place is amazing. Went out and played pool last night and a drunk asshole got pepper sprayed. People were standing out front smoking weed talking to cops and the cops didn't do anything, just handled the drunk asshole and went about their business.

Place is clean and beautiful for such a bustling city.
6/14/14 10:23 PM
Jerkie
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ghost of KVR -

I said this on another thread and was votes into oblivion

People passing these laws think hey its gonna help open up the corporate wallets...nope just gonna screw the little guy more Phone Post
6/14/14 10:29 PM
Pessimist_Pete

So price of everything will increase in Seattle Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 10:41 PM
frampton337

Ham and Egger - Something similar happened in a city called Detroit.
Nope, not similar at all. Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 10:42 PM
frampton337

Ham and Egger - Companies will leave the city. Cost of everything will go up. We'll see if the second half of the marxist vision is realized in seattle. It certainly hasnt been in detroit.
The business community supported it. Wanna try again? Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 10:44 PM
Darup

man meets tate -

I think that is a great initiative, the way things have been going in the last couple of years and even decades, with the wealth being concentrated at the top to ridiculous proportions, somethings has got to give, as long as we have a democracy

How old are you? Your naiveté makes me think college kid. Phone Post
6/14/14 10:44 PM
Lux Fixxins

Ryduce - I am in Seattle right now, and I have gotten more decent job responses and interviews in the past four days than I have on the East coast in the last four years. I have already been offered one job, feel really good about another, and have another interview Monday.

This place is amazing. Went out and played pool last night and a drunk asshole got pepper sprayed. People were standing out front smoking weed talking to cops and the cops didn't do anything, just handled the drunk asshole and went about their business.

Place is clean and beautiful for such a bustling city.
Lol @ "bustling city" Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 10:52 PM
Samoa
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It won't be disastrous immediately. It continues a terrible trend though of Government thinking that it can accurately set the value of labor. It's just an arbitrary number that no one can support statistically as being what labor in a geographical area is worth to each and every employer within it.

It also doesn't change one tiny fraction of one single iota the issue of the wealth disparity or the issue of poverty. Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 10:54 PM
MooseKnuckleMasher
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raising the MW to $15 is not a good thing for your average joe. They've essentially made being a cashier/janitor/burger flipper a college level job.
With so many grads having trouble finding work, any Starbucks, or grocery store owner would gladly have college level employees than your average entitlement minded, minimum work ethic slacker.
On the plus side, college grads will have no trouble finding jobs now. Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 11:00 PM
Samoa
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MooseKnuckleMasher - Raising the MW to $15 is not a good thing for your average joe. They've essentially made being a cashier/janitor/burger flipper a college level job.
With so many grads having trouble finding work, any Starbucks, or grocery store owner would gladly have college level employees than your average entitlement minded, minimum work ethic slacker.
On the plus side, college grads will have no trouble finding jobs now. Phone Post 3.0
People don't realize that minimum wage hikes actually hurt the lowest skilled workers. Phone Post 3.0
6/14/14 11:09 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy making 16 bucks an hour a month ago is pretty pissed off.

The guy who was earning 15 is angrier now that he is minimum wage. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.