UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> How come I can smoke in a car but not talk on phon

6/15/14 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
corrosion616
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can eat, smoke, pet my dog while driving but I hold a phone to my face and possible $50 ticket?
6/15/14 4:10 PM
Res ipsa loquitar
871 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How come you drive like an asshole when you are on the phone?

6/15/14 4:17 PM
corrosion616

Because your mom upset me on our last call and I was driving at the time....
6/15/14 4:19 PM
Ryduce
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see where you're coming from, but I feel like a phone takes way more attentiveness than any of the above.

I've never had a near accident from smoking, eating, etc, but I have had several near misses from texting/talking.
6/15/14 4:19 PM
Vizslarex

Smoking us not near as distracting as the phone. If you try to punch buttons you have to look at the phone repeatedly, and the phone and conversation requires more of your attention than smoking, and texting is super dangerous.
With blue tooth is is somewhat safer-- when it works. Half the time it does not work and you have to take out your phone to answer or make a call. I do it some, but it is dangerous. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 4:20 PM
Vizslarex

Is - sorry about typos Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 4:20 PM
Jambo888
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

takes a different amout/kind of attention

6/15/14 4:21 PM
Jambo888
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

... but if you do find that smoking, eating, etc also distracts your driving then you should cut that out too. for safety.

6/15/14 4:29 PM
corrosion616

I have a near perfect driving record for 10 years....has the no talking while driving law really slowed crashes down or made driving safer?
6/15/14 4:32 PM
kingofpancakes80
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoking requires almost zero attention after you light it.
6/15/14 4:35 PM
shaqitup
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

corrosion616 - I have a near perfect driving record for 10 years....has the no talking while driving law really slowed crashes down or made driving safer?

I'm lso sure some people can drive fine with their feet, or somewhat drunk, somewhat high.

But they don't let people drive like this because it does diminish your ability to react adequately in situations, or pay full attention.
6/15/14 4:36 PM
Jambo888

corrosion616 - I have a near perfect driving record for 10 years....has the no talking while driving law really slowed crashes down or made driving safer?

a lot of people can say that about having a few beers too (over the limit)

6/15/14 4:44 PM
corrosion616

2012 National Survey on Distracted Driving Attitudes and Behaviors
•Nearly half (48%) of drivers admit to answering their cell phone while driving.
•Of those who answer their phones while driving, 58% of drivers continue to drive while talking on the phone.
•In the survey, 24% of drivers reported that they are willing to make a phone call while driving.
•One in 10 drivers surveyed said that, at least sometimes, they send text messages or emails while driving.
•Of the drivers surveyed, 14% said they read text messages or emails while driving.
•A majority of respondents support laws that ban talking on cell phones, texting, or emailing while driving.
6/15/14 4:47 PM
corrosion616

Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics
•15- to 19-year-olds make up the largest proportion of distracted drivers.
•According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, texting while driving kills 11 teens each day.
•In a AAA poll, 94% of teens called texting and driving a serious threat, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
•11% of drivers ages 15 – 19 involved in fatal crashes were reported to be distracted.
•21% of distracted teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by cell phones.
•Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
•A teen driver riding with one other passenger doubles the risk of being involved in a fatal car crash. With two or more passengers, a fatal accident is 5x as likely.
•46% of drivers under 18 admit to texting while driving.
•Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those admit to texting behind the wheel.
6/15/14 4:52 PM
corrosion616

So if we raised the requirements for a drivers license would they have had to make the silly law....I support the no texting while driving but holding a phone to my face while a guy in the car ahead oh me eating McDonalds can swerve while opening his ketchup is legal is just I don't know weird...
6/15/14 4:52 PM
rezzz
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personality i can drive without losing attention while taking on the phone if it's a automatic car or using the speaker phone if it's manual, but texting take your eyes away from the road for a lot of precious seconds and i find very dangerous. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 5:58 PM
corrosion616

Adulterous_Zucchini - is this is serious question? Are you trying to suggest that smoking is as distracting as talking on a phone? Have you ever even had a girlfriend??

Well I guess if she was a crazy bitch and I didn't know how to hang a phone up...A for fitting example for me would be I have to pick girlfriend up from class and the VA calls to confirm a doctors appointment...I don't have to look at my phone to answer it or hang it up but I have to use one hand to hold it...is that really more distracting to people than pulling a cig out, getting a lighter, and lighting it?
6/15/14 6:05 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mythbusters showed cell phone driving is as bad a drunk

6/15/14 6:17 PM
corrosion616

ranier wolfcastle - 

mythbusters showed cell phone driving is as bad a drunk

I'll YouTube that video in a few...I understand the looking at the phone part being bad and agree it is bad, but I think it's the exact same thing if I light a smoke and have a passenger in the car talking to me as talking on a phone...(not texting)....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.