UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Mississippi Burning question...??

6/15/14 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i always liked this movie but i watched a docu last night on the KKK and the events this movie was based on..the 3 slain civil rights workers were killed and J Edgar Hoover was brought in to bring the KKK down..in the movie, it depicts a black man kidnapping one of the judges or higher level members of the KKK and getting him to confess but in reality, Hoover hired out an italian mafia member to do this..i guess this italian mafia guy was a ruthless SOB and was basically hired to kidnap and beat the shit out of a higher level klansmen to force out a confession..the mafia member drove the klansmen out to a wooded shed and pistol-whipped him until he confessed to everything...

i wonder why they didnt include this bit in the movie?i had no fucking clue the KKK is what started the italian mafia and that in the end, it was the italian mafia that led to the demise of the KKK...did anyone else?it was a good docu..
6/15/14 6:08 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://vimeo.com/59096635

6/15/14 6:09 PM
Mata_Leon
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because there is no such thing as the mafia?
6/15/14 7:31 PM
BarkLikeADog

Because an emotionally satisfying resolution sells way more tickets than historical accuracy?
6/15/14 7:36 PM
Winston Wolf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting ...great movie
6/15/14 7:37 PM
Raezor19

Funny, was just on today...Gene Hackman was a great actor...rip

6/15/14 7:47 PM
Harlem Savoy
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - Because an emotionally satisfying resolution sells way more tickets than historical accuracy?
This Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 9:04 PM
Winston Wolf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raezor19 - 

Funny, was just on today...Gene Hackman was a great actor...rip

hes dead?
6/15/14 9:05 PM
Winston Wolf

he aint dead
6/15/14 9:08 PM
Stronghold
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hackman FTW
6/15/14 9:08 PM
Winston Wolf

one of my favorite movies and actors
6/15/14 9:10 PM
Raezor19

He was great in Roseanne....

6/15/14 9:35 PM
Winston Wolf

Hoosers was classic
6/15/14 9:42 PM
Winston Wolf

have the doc on tape ill watch it tomorow
6/15/14 9:46 PM
jimmy23
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/15/14 9:47 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Deal-Devil-Secret-Thirty-Year-Relationship/dp/0061455342/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402882897&sr=1-1&keywords=deal+with+the+devil

this was the guy, Greg Scarpa Sr, a true monster of a human being. One guy he kidnapped and pulled a knife on the guy talked before he got tortured. Another, Scarpa kidnapped and  beat so badly the guy the guy was sort of fucked up for the rest of his life.

He also was involved with another  civil rights case, the Vernon Dahmer murder. 

It is an interesting conumdrum (especially since I knew family members of some folks involved in these incidents) - the US was dealing with a home grown terrorist / organized crime group that was openly defying the power of the federal government and murdering a lot more people than are recorded in the official histories (no body, no crime). On the other hand, they hired a psychopath to do what he did best to  help break the back of one of the more effective and brazen chapters of this group

I agree with what they did, though it wasnt moral by most measures. I guess fighting evil with a greater evil can be effective

6/15/14 9:57 PM
PhillyFights
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scarpa was also an informant for years and a closet homo who died of AIDS. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/14 9:57 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Minor inaccuracy, Italians are non-white too.
6/15/14 10:18 PM
jimmy23
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhillyFights - Scarpa was also an informant for years and a closet homo who died of AIDS. Phone Post 3.0

he got AIDs from a tranfusion.....

at least thats what he claimed

6/15/14 10:39 PM
PhillyFights
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jimmy23 -
PhillyFights - Scarpa was also an informant for years and a closet homo who died of AIDS. Phone Post 3.0

he got AIDs from a tranfusion.....

at least thats what he claimed

I didn't say he got AIDS from gay sex
....... But I'd probably say it was a transfusion no matter what if I had his job.

There's stories out there about this guy that if you saw in a movie, you wouldn't believe. I remember one where someone fucked with one of his kids, so he got in his car, found the 2 guys that did it and killed them. In the process, took a bullet to the face and refused to let the cops take him to the hospital. All while he was in his 60's with AIDS. He was also like the NY version of Whitey Bulger in that he worked with the FBI for a long time, and looking back profited from the relationship way more than he should have, and his FBI handler later got indicted. But by all accounts, a truly scary dude. Like a 1980's HIV positive, gay Luca Brasi. Phone Post 3.0
6/16/14 4:55 PM
Bry Bry

i cant believe the KKK didnt have any hard hitters on their side to go against Scarpa...

problem with these mafia guys, there are legendary stories about many of them...what is true and how much is made up though or embellished?
6/16/14 5:13 PM
soundoff71
1014 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jimmy23 - 

http://www.amazon.com/Deal-Devil-Secret-Thirty-Year-Relationship/dp/0061455342/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402882897&sr=1-1&keywords=deal+with+the+devil

this was the guy, Greg Scarpa Sr, a true monster of a human being. One guy he kidnapped and pulled a knife on the guy talked before he got tortured. Another, Scarpa kidnapped and  beat so badly the guy the guy was sort of fucked up for the rest of his life.

He also was involved with another  civil rights case, the Vernon Dahmer murder. 

It is an interesting conumdrum (especially since I knew family members of some folks involved in these incidents) - the US was dealing with a home grown terrorist / organized crime group that was openly defying the power of the federal government and murdering a lot more people than are recorded in the official histories (no body, no crime). On the other hand, they hired a psychopath to do what he did best to  help break the back of one of the more effective and brazen chapters of this group

I agree with what they did, though it wasnt moral by most measures. I guess fighting evil with a greater evil can be effective

Wiki has a good write-up on Scarpa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Scarpa

6/16/14 5:26 PM
PhillyFights

As far as the Mafia stories, I'd say it's both. A lot is embellished, but there's plenty that's true. Lots of very tough guys that lived a crazy life and have some crazy stories. There's a guy from Philly who's whole life story is pretty unbelievable. I don't wanna hijack, but google him if you want. His names John Veasey. Two quick stories: The boss wanted him dead, so he put a hit on him. Two guys lured Veasey to an apt to kill him. One snuck up behind and shot him in the head, but it was a .22 and the bullet got stuck in his skull. They shot him once or twice more before switching to a knife. Veasey took the gun and the knife from them, fought them off and got away.
2. Back in the days before everyone had a cell phone, he used to walk around with a roll of quarters. John Stanfa would send him to extort businesses that were paying Joey Merlino for protection. He'd walk in an demand the money. They'd say "nah we pay Joey for protection". Then he'd put the quarters on the table and say " you better call Joey now then cause you need protection." Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.