UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC 174 may have done less than 100k buys

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
6/18/14 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Galanis
1522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard from a couple of people who would know, that early estimates of 174 buys have it just a bit under 100k. The sole reason I am posting about this (I normally try not to be one of those ratings/buys posters who everyone hates) is because if the show truly did this bad, it will be a good thing for us fans who complain about watered down cards. The UFC's core audience was really being tested with this card, to see how much they could get away with buys wise, for a card with absolutely no drawing power to the casual viewer.

If this is the case, it sends a strong message to the UFC that the watered down cards are no longer going over with fans. For me, considering the cards are $60 and there is 14 a year.. this is great news.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number that comes out in the press is just above that, like 125.. If you see the number come out around that area, then trust me, it did under 100k. This has to piss Dana off to no end considering the Bellator show did do a legit 100k

Meltzer is the go to guy when it comes to PPV info for sure.. but he even stated in the Observer today that Google traffic for 174 was under 20k searches... which is absolutely unheard of. Take a look at what he wrote today about it

From Meltzer's newletter today...

"It’s too early to get accurate numbers, but every indication we’ve gotten was very bad, and that it showed a steep decline from UFC 173, which was among the lower numbers of the last eight years. UFC PPV shows usually range from 200,000 to 500,000 Google searches after the event, and are usually in the top few searched for items in the country. A bad show may only do 100,000. Bellator’s show last month hit 100,000. A big show can top 500,000, with the shows that hover around 1 million buys usually doing anywhere from 1 million to 5 million searches. This show did less than 20,000, unheard of for a PPV.

Unlike UFC 173, which looked weak on paper and everyone knew wasn’t going to draw much, it still had Dan Henderson and Daniel Cormier in the No. 2 spot. They brought some star power in what was really the main event. It also had a lot to talk about after, due to T.J. Dillashaw’s upset win over Renan Barao.

This show didn’t have much interest going in. But most of the time, those type of shows deliver good action. This had none of that. It wasn’t terrible, but there was no fight you needed to see. As a likely sign of how the show went, Dana White didn’t even attend the post-fight press conference."

6/18/14 11:01 PM
Galanis
1522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/18/14 11:03 PM

This is really interesting stuff to me, because like I said.. if true, the UFC is going to realize they can't keep putting on shows like this as a numbered PPV, and expect its fans to continuously just blindly shell out the cash.

That's a step in the right direction.. they know they are losing PPV buys, and hopefully they step their game up to fix it, by putting on more big fights per card. We can hope anyway

6/18/14 11:08 PM
newjack900
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

20,000 google searces? Holy shit I guess I wasn't the only 1 who wondered why it was a PPV
6/18/14 11:09 PM
AMERICANTstopbeingaRORYfanforlife
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh wow, if bellator beat a UFC ppv in their first attempt ....

TUF is getting numbers almost identical to fightmaster lol. Can we see the ppv buyrate and TUF viewership ttrends in graph form? 

6/18/14 11:10 PM
vodka7
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When it is said that it did 100k, does that mean it made 100k in money from the PPV? Or does it mean there were 100 000 buys of the PPV?

Thanks Phone Post 3.0
6/18/14 11:12 PM
Galanis

vodka7 - When it is said that it did 100k, does that mean it made 100k in money from the PPV? Or does it mean there were 100 000 buys of the PPV?

Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Meaning 100,000 people purchased the PPV

AMERICANTstopbeingaRORYfanforlife
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here I did it.

Team GDP
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow that would be atrocious

6/18/14 11:13 PM
I Wild Each It
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it. People are finally beginning to vote with their wallets, and that's the ONLY way things are going to change. Zuffa has been nickel diming the hardcore fans for a long time, and it's about time the fans fought back. Hopefully this will begin to create some change. We shall see.
6/18/14 11:13 PM
gabemadrid
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time Warner customers in NYC couldn't order it up to 80 percent were with out PPV purchasing capabilities. I was one of them. Phone Post 3.0
6/18/14 11:15 PM
Galanis

newjack900 - 20,000 google searces? Holy shit I guess I wasn't the only 1 who wondered why it was a PPV

Yeah, I agree. That's honestly shocking to me. I'd heard it may have done under 100k but once I read about the Google searches in the Observer I suddenly realized this very well may be true.

I checked myself and it's indeed true, the area of traffic was around 20k. Even though 173 wasn't a huge card, DC and Hendo are two very big names in MMA. DC is undefeated, has beaten some great guys, and is on TV all the time for the UFC. Hendo is an absolute legend and no more needs to be said.

174 had Rory and Tyron as their co main. I know the UFC wants Rory to be a star, but right now he is not a PPV draw at all. DC and Hendo as a main event alone probably would've done better than 174 buys wise. Arlovski hadn't fought in the UFC since 07... I just don't think this card had a chance.

I was one of those 100k buys, and 174 is one of the rare times I actually started reconsidering purchasing UFC PPVs for a while.. I'm about as diehard of an MMA fan as you can get, but this should not have been a $60 card, ever.

6/18/14 11:16 PM
EatonBeever
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but but but.... Dana told me that the best p4p fighter was fighting in the main event.... i know he said that about the last guy, and the guy before that...

and the guy before that...

but this time, I really believed him !!!!!!!!!

6/18/14 11:18 PM
gatorlaw
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most Comcast customers in Florida couldn't order it either due to who the fuck knows. I was told "technical difficulties".

That's a large chunk of change. Phone Post 3.0
6/18/14 11:20 PM
BlueDream
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If true this is great for the MMA fan. I truly believe the way Dana has been acting the last few years is having as much of a negative impact as the water down cards. Hopefully we'll see a change in both!
6/18/14 11:21 PM
Galanis

gabemadrid - Time Warner customers in NYC couldn't order it up to 80 percent were with out PPV purchasing capabilities. I was one of them. Phone Post 3.0

That definitely doesn't help matters. Were you given any reason as to why?

6/18/14 11:24 PM
ChaosOverkill
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If true, I predict a "Technical problem retrieving the numbers, and we'll never know" statement from Egg Clown White

6/18/14 11:26 PM
BrattMamley
1552 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wowza. They should just have Fox buy those 14 PPVs. They may lose money on the PPV but they would gain so much more in total viewers and making new fans of the sport.

6/18/14 11:27 PM
epwar
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/18/14 11:27 PM

Wow

6/18/14 11:29 PM
Jimmy Wrassler
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well is anyone surprised?  Name one fan favorite/popular fighter from UFC 174..... Ill wait. 

Oh, youre back from wikipedia?  All you could come up with was Arlovski huh?   Looks like Rampage with Bellators first PPV did just as well as UFC 174 headlined by their P4P best fighter!

6/18/14 11:29 PM
EatonBeever
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BlueDream - If true this is great for the MMA fan. I truly believe the way Dana has been acting the last few years is having as much of a negative impact as the water down cards. Hopefully we'll see a change in both!

True.  But we already lost so many great fights over the years due to Dana watering down the sport and sucking it dry for a quick buck.  All the big mega match ups are now gone because the fighters gotten too old, past primes.  Now we have prime midget fighters that no one cares about and some women that no one cares about.  

Building an entire company around Ronda is not smart business, imo...  People want to watch larger than life fighters or KILLERS - like prime Axe Murderer Wanderlei....or RAMPAGE jackson.....  or skilled technical masters of an art - like Cro Cro (kickboxing) or Nogueira (BJJ) or Mark Kerr/ GSP (Wrestling)....or hell , even freaking pro wrestlers just because of their sheer size / charisma plus their established fame (Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley).

No one cares about Bantam weights that go 5 rounds.... Or Women that have PMS on TUF reality show...  That shit is weak.  Create a UFC "Bushido" league or bring back WEC for the lighter guys.  When UFC mixes EVERYTHING, it waters down the product.  You have 10000 fighters that fight every year.  And the next year, you see 100 more.  No one can keep up , nor really care because there are too many ways to lose in MMA and because of the "we want records to be as important as boxing" attitude the UFC carries - they cut the 'losers' , thus cutting any sort of momentum toward that fighter. 

The product is weak.  No one cares anymore.  World Cup Soccer in the US is more appealing than UFC right now.  I think UFC might be on the same level as Women's Pro Basketball pretty soon... 

6/18/14 11:32 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

* Harrison Ford eating popcorn gif *
6/18/14 11:33 PM
Jimmy Wrassler
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

If true, I predict a "Technical problem retrieving the numbers, and we'll never know" statement from Egg Clown White

Followed by "our fans in Florida, fucking New York and countless other places werent able to purchase the PPV, and believe me thats where most of our buys come from.  Trust me when I say, we will make it up to you guys.  We're actully looking at some fucking legal action against the entire PPV industry.... Im actually going to be in charge of the fucking thing and Ill get right on it after my vacation to the moon with Prince and a white tiger.... the whole trip will be streaming on fightpass!!"

6/18/14 11:34 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope this prompts change Phone Post 3.0
6/18/14 11:34 PM
gabemadrid
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Galanis -
gabemadrid - Time Warner customers in NYC couldn't order it up to 80 percent were with out PPV purchasing capabilities. I was one of them. Phone Post 3.0

That definitely doesn't help matters. Were you given any reason as to why?

Yeah some damaged fiber from the previous nights rain. All ondemand was down PPVs and even the free ondemand channels. Phone Post 3.0
6/18/14 11:35 PM
Jimmy Wrassler

BrattMamley - 

wowza. They should just have Fox buy those 14 PPVs. They may lose money on the PPV but they would gain so much more in total viewers and making new fans of the sport.

Yup, then sponsors would be willing to pay the fighters more and the UFC could make up for the PPV loss by taxing the shit outta fighters sponsors even more!! Win win for everyone but the fighters!!

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.