UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ediane: Female UFC fighters have to show their ass

6/21/14 9:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There is a continuing debate in women's mixed martial arts about the role of sex appeal.

In a recent interview with Brazil's Tatame, Invicta FC lightweight Ediane "India" Gomes came down firmly on the side that sex appeal has no place in WMMA, and took firm aim at the UFC.

"The (female) fighters in the UFC are more worried about showing their asses than actually fighting," said Gomes as translated by Guilherme Cruz for MMAFighting. "MMA has become a new thing because of Ronda, but she’s actually one of the few real fighters. To be in the UFC, you have to show your ass. They should just put some strippers to brawl in there, it would be better."

"Ronda deserves to be where she is now. I don’t see any fighter to beat her. The only one that could give her some trouble is Amanda Nunes. Nobody else can take her title. She’s good in what she does. The others are terrible. A bunch of cans. I say this and I’m not ashamed of it. It’s ridiculous. I dream about fighting in the UFC to show the other fighters that they need to train more. Miesha is good, but she should stay as a model so she can make more money."

Gomes plans to challenge Cris Cyborg and then cut down to 135 and fight in the UFC.

"She likes to brawl. I have a lot of respect for her," said Gomes. "She’s a great athlete, everybody sees that. When we get inside the cage and the bell rings, we are going to brawl to get what we want. She’s better-rounded compared to the time when she was the Strikeforce champion. She has a good takedown defense, is aggressive, and has heavy hands. I have to surprise her. I could be stupid and stand against her, but I’m training boxing for two years now."

"I’m the underdog. That’s good. When people are all over you is dangerous because you become cocky. I want to surprise. Cyborg is the best in the world and I’m happy to fight her. No women in MMA were capable of beating her, so I will try. It’s going to be a war. I always wanted to fight her and I know that a win over her puts me in another level."

Late last year, on Episode One of ProWMMA Now!, respected matchmaker and manager Sam Wilson argued that it is wrong for promotions to play up sex appeal.

She talked first about the early days of WMMA.

"Back then it was like a side show," said Wilson. "Let's bring the pretty women out there and have them fight and have all the men go frickin' crazy like 'ohhh yeahh yeahh,' so it was more of a side show back then. To see it form backstage as opposed to what the fans see and see what the women had to go through to get to where they are, it's like 'wow you know?' It's about time they do get center stage through the cards, Invicta being like one of the elite places because they are there as athletes and fighters as opposed to women and sex symbols and side shows."

Then Invicta and now UFC strawweight Felice Herrig offfered a differing but not opposite perspective on WMMA and sex appeal.

"I play up the sexy side, but I'm not playing," said Herrig to MMAMania's Brian Hemminger. "I'm being me. I'm not doing anything I'm uncomfortable with. A lot of people think that's what I'm all about and that I don't care about my fighting, that I spend more time promoting myself than training. There's only so much time in the day. I'm more dedicated than any other woman I've met and most of the guys. At the same time, fighting is a business. I'm promoting my brand. With women athletes, you get a lot more opportunities. It's more intriguing to the general public if they see a woman that wouldn't strike you as a fighter.

"The only downside I see is people labeling you, saying you're disrespecting the sport or that you're not taking it serious. I think it's harder to walk that line of being a woman, promoting that sexy side, but also being on top of your game."

Regardless of the appropriate role of sex appeal in WMMA, if a female MMA fighter is is sexy but lacks skill, she will get beaten up until she quits.

Still, if there are two female fighters with equivalent skill, and one plays up the sex appeal and another doesn't, the former will get more fights, with a higher profile, and more money, because sex appeal puts asses in seats.

The same thing can happen in male MMA. Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre broke far into the mainstream, in no small part because he has an appeal to both men and women. However GSP was making $5,000,000 per fight, and no one is denigrating him over his looks. The same cannot be said about any female fighter in the world.

A parallel process is at work in male combat sports with size. Larger males generally get paid more, even if their skill is not equivalent to that of the fighters at 145, 135, and 125. At some point the UFC is going to have a 115 pound male division, and no one in the West is going to care. Is that fair?

Is is fair that women who play up sex appeal do better? What message does that send? Even if it is a reflection of human nature, not everything that is natural is right.

6/21/14 10:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disclaimer: I didn't read that wall of text.

I agree, they do have to show their ass. Especially if they are Meisha "Covers her ass with a flap" Tate!

If she has a fucken flap on in her next fight, I am gonna talk all kinds of shit about her here on the UG!

I am not kidding!
6/21/14 10:06 PM
3 Sided Square
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This did say India earlier right?
6/21/14 10:15 PM
Jimmy Wrassler
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/21/14 10:29 PM

How are there no fucking pics?

edit:  nevermind, I just figured out why

6/21/14 10:19 PM
TexDeuce
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol Phone Post 3.0
6/21/14 10:20 PM
TexDeuce
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG blog is drunk Phone Post 3.0
6/21/14 10:21 PM
shootfightermike
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tttt

6/21/14 10:23 PM
Feelz Good

Leave it to the ugly girl to hate on the beautiful. It must be hard looking like an ugly 16 year old boy Phone Post 3.0
6/21/14 10:26 PM
Ch1ef
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 Sided Square - This did say India earlier right?
India is Gomes' nickname. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/14 10:28 PM
chaplinshouse
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Olga's got a point.  more strippers please

6/21/14 10:35 PM
cqjnell
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for ass pics Phone Post 3.0
6/21/14 11:11 PM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/22/14 12:27 AM
kingjames100
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's muthafuckin Gilbert Melendez, nigga.
6/22/14 12:59 AM
Jimmy Wrassler
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingjames100 - That's muthafuckin Gilbert Melendez, nigga.
VU, exactly what I was thinking Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 1:11 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully she's never in the UFC... Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 1:30 AM
Slash
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread confuses me but I'm fairly certain it has something to do with a large Mexican man Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 1:36 AM
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do not want to see her ass
6/22/14 1:36 AM
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burning Spear -
TexDeuce - UG blog is drunk Phone Post 3.0

Did you think that joke was going to be a hit? Did you think that was the next big thing? Recycled jokes are just the worst. You're that guy in your group of friends that thinks he's funny and everyone just talks shit about you as soon as you leave

Anyways there should definitely be more ass shown when women "fight". I never wanted to see women fight, it was forced down my throat. Now I know how my ex-girlfriend feels

Just get fighters with nice asses and I'll buy the ppv. I don't give a shit about "up and comers" or contenders in WMMA. It's like the WNBA, who gives a fuck? We've got a bunch of talent in the men's division in MMA nowadays that the only reason I don't change the channel when a WMMA fight comes on is the slim chance that I get to see a nip slip. Other than that, snooze city
Wtf is wrong with you faggot? Did Tax fuck your gf, mom and sister? Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 1:37 AM
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tex* Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 1:53 AM
AssAssassin

What!?!? Dana White uses fighters to make himself even more rich? If you don't fit the business model and aren't marketable he doesn't approve!?!??!

I mean its not like we've ever heard Dana White tell people to get new haircuts and shave or something... right?

Next you are going to tell me the UFC doesn't pick the best talent for the Ultimate Fighter Reality TV show, but those that are likely to make for the most entertaining reality-tv-trash.

It would be like having champions that get paid less because they don't speak English well or have marketable traits, so they make a fraction of what the more marketable champs make. This would never happen right?

That would imply his business is about PPV buys and not the art of fighting...

No. Fucking. Way.

6/22/14 1:56 AM
AssAssassin

AssAssassin - What!?!? Dana White uses fighters to make himself even more rich? If you don't fit the business model and aren't marketable he doesn't approve!?!??!

I mean its not like we've ever heard Dana White tell people to get new haircuts and shave or something... right?

Next you are going to tell me the UFC doesn't pick the best talent for the Ultimate Fighter Reality TV show, but those that are likely to make for the most entertaining reality-tv-trash.

It would be like having champions that get paid less because they don't speak English well or have marketable traits, so they make a fraction of what the more marketable champs make. This would never happen right?

No. Fucking. Way.

Fuck you asshole, how is he supposed to be able to afford his habit of getting drunk and buying smart cars?
6/22/14 1:59 AM
Dreville79
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking finally someone agrees with me that Nunes is gonna give Ronda her biggest headache! Rest of what she said is total crap mind. Mcmann, Kaufman, Davis? They've all got where they have from showing their ass have they? Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 2:02 AM
Logic MMA

In for pics of said asses.

6/22/14 2:09 AM
AssAssassin

AssAssassin - 
AssAssassin - What!?!? Dana White uses fighters to make himself even more rich? If you don't fit the business model and aren't marketable he doesn't approve!?!??!

No. Fucking. Way.

Fuck you asshole, how is he supposed to be able to afford his habit of getting drunk and buying smart cars?

Hey this is America, what some one does with their own money is their own business. If there weren't billionaires getting drunk and buying Smart Cars, think of all the people who wouldn't have jobs, what would they do?
6/22/14 2:11 AM
AssAssassin

AssAssassin - 
AssAssassin - 

No. Fucking. Way.

Hey this is America, what some one does with their own money is their own business. If there weren't billionaires getting drunk and buying Smart Cars, think of all the people who wouldn't have jobs, what would they do?

Sure, but those billionaires make their money by exploiting people and their hard work. So to say that billionaires are actually helping people is only part of the picture. You are forgetting the wealth that they generate at the expense of others. He could just as easily get drunk and donate $50,000 to a charity or pay for some one's medical bills, but instead he chooses to buy superficial shit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.