UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana White-Harsh words for Jose Aldo

6/22/14 5:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I love Jose Aldo.  He's the best p4p fighter in the world......for 2 rounds.   Then he starts to slide off."

"It's up to Jose Aldo to make people want to care, and buy his fights"

Dana White said both of those statements, in the same sit down interview.

I was under the impression Dana White is a promotor.  I thought Dana is supposed to promote his fighters.  In this interview, Dana White knocks one of the most proven fighters in the organization, and says that it's the fighters job to promote.

Hmmm, interesting. I thought the fighters fight, and the promotor promotes.

6/22/14 5:18 PM
RicGillespie

Edited: 06/22/14 5:18 PM

It's a partnership. You get out of it what you put into it. Really no mystery to why some people get paid better than others in the UFC, regardless of skill levels.
6/22/14 5:18 PM
D241

Jon Jones.  Of all the fighters on the UFC roster, I can think of ONE fighter who is arguably more proven than Jose Aldo.

No need for Dana to bring a fighters stock down just b/c it's capable of being high.

6/22/14 5:20 PM
I Wild Each It
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/22/14 5:20 PM
The fighters do need to promote themselves. It would be in the best interest of all of the Brazilian, Russian, Korean fighters to learn English. That would be a tremendous help to them.

That said, Aldo doesn't get promoted nearly as much as GSP, Brock, and Anderson were...or Jones and Ronda for that matter. So Dana's not totally innocent here. Zuffa needs to step up their game and start heavily promoting other fighters...particularly the champions. ALL of them.
6/22/14 5:23 PM
Thacommish
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicGillespie - 

It's a partnership. You get out of it what you put into it. Really no mystery to why some people get paid better than others in the UFC, regardless of skill levels.

It is a partnership, which should imply that both sides work together, instead of 1 side who is supposed to be the "promoter" going out of his way to discredit or devalue his own product.
6/22/14 5:29 PM
RicGillespie

Thacommish - 
RicGillespie - 

It is a partnership, which should imply that both sides work together, instead of 1 side who is supposed to be the "promoter" going out of his way to discredit or devalue his own product.

How did he go out of his way to discredit or devalue Aldo? Dude was asked a question and answered it.... with an answer 95% of MMA fans agree with. It's just the truth. Aldo has been fighting in NA for almost 7 years and can't speak any English. People in the NA ppv market care more about personality then they do skills.... and Aldo's personality just isn't very marketable in it's current form.
6/22/14 5:32 PM
Thacommish
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicGillespie - 
Thacommish - 
RicGillespie - 

How did he go out of his way to discredit or devalue Aldo? Dude was asked a question and answered it.... with an answer 95% of MMA fans agree with. It's just the truth. Aldo has been fighting in NA for almost 7 years and can't speak any English. People in the NA ppv market care more about personality then they do skills.... and Aldo's personality just isn't very marketable in it's current form.

"How did he go out of his way to discredit or devalue Aldo?"

Do you think what he said promotes aldo?
Do you think it added value to him?
Do you think? at all?
6/22/14 5:33 PM
Arlovskis Chin
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish -
RicGillespie - 

He's trying to increase value to his product:

It's frank honest truth for Jose. If he wants to tell Dana to go fuck himself he's a fighter full stop he can do that.

If he wants to go at guys and then coast then he can. It's in everyone's interests if Jose finished guys like Lamas, did anything in the press other than moan and learnt even Anderson level basic English. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 5:39 PM
Thacommish

Arlovskis Chin - 
Thacommish -
RicGillespie - 

It's frank honest truth for Jose. If he wants to tell Dana to go fuck himself he's a fighter full stop he can do that.

If he wants to go at guys and then coast then he can. It's in everyone's interests if Jose finished guys like Lamas, did anything in the press other than moan and learnt even Anderson level basic English. Phone Post 3.0

Coming out to the press and saying aldo drops off after 2 rounds doesnt help him learn english, it doesnt push that point across at all.
6/22/14 5:45 PM
Arlovskis Chin
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish -
Arlovskis Chin - 
Thacommish -
RicGillespie - 

Coming out to the press and saying aldo drops off after 2 rounds doesnt help him learn english, it doesnt push that point across at all.
No but it may be a harsh truth Jose needs to hear to put in some extra cardio work and return to his killer instincts.

You've been very selective with what you took from my first post. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 5:46 PM
Thacommish

You know what it does? instill in the fans the thought that its aldos fault. That hes not doing enough (despite being one of what 2 of the most dominant champs in the org?). Its a guy whose job it is to do something coming out and blaming someone else for not doing it. Ronda got a primetime, gsp got like 4, Full series of TUF has been based around guys who are on the verge of retirement only so none of the fights could go through. But yeah, aldo doesnt know english, so ... we know whose not doing their job :/
6/22/14 5:50 PM
Thacommish

Edited: 06/22/14 5:51 PM
"If he wants to tell Dana to go fuck himself he's a fighter full stop he can do that. "

Yeah sorry i didnt really know how to respond to that. Its kind of pointless and off topic.

"It's frank honest truth for Jose"

You know what else is the frank honest truth, That maybe the past few cards that were the best ever, were not. Funny how selective fans are with danas speaking the "truth".

"If he wants to go at guys and then coast then he can."

Who else in the UFC is more dominant as a champ than jose aldo? You are using hyperbole to blame aldo, without understanding how much he has accomplished already which is more than most do? GSP and silva must not have ever coasted a round ever huh?
6/22/14 5:53 PM
D241

RicGillespie - 
Thacommish - 
RicGillespie - 

You cannot speak for everyone in NA, bc I'm in NA and I care about his skills more than I care about him speaking or not speaking English.

I think Jose Aldo is one of two of the UFC's most talented fighters.  He has earned that status to me, and many others, without speaking any English.

I don't think that's a strong argument, "people won't care about him b/c he doesn't speak English".

I'm sure there are more than just me and Thacommish who feel the same way.

6/22/14 5:53 PM
RyannVonDoom

mkutta4 - He's speaking the truth tho Phone Post 3.0
Has he been beaten under his tenure in zuffa? Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 5:57 PM
Thacommish

You say hes trying to increase value by what? bringing awareness to aldo that he drops off after 2 rounds?

What does saying this publicly accomplish that privately it would not? besides devaluing his image in the eyes of fans. Which is working just look at this thread. Why not sit in a room with aldo and explain how maybe he should work on his cardio? or maybe dana understands how ridiculous that would sound coming from him while trying to explain to a guy like aldo how to do his job better.

"look aldo its simple, just jog more"
6/22/14 6:00 PM
Taz Styles
3538 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1UgMg3iog

Dana White Talks Scott Coker, Jon Jones, Jose Aldo and more 

6/22/14 6:20 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Wild Each It - The fighters do need to promote themselves. It would be in the best interest of all of the Brazilian, Russian, Korean fighters to learn English. That would be a tremendous help to them.

That said, Aldo doesn't get promoted nearly as much as GSP, Brock, and Anderson were...or Jones and Ronda for that matter. So Dana's not totally innocent here. Zuffa needs to step up their game and start heavily promoting other fighters...particularly the champions. ALL of them.
This.

Chael Sonnen was not a great fighter. He was good.

He was a glass of milk, boring white guy wrestler with a 500 record.

Suddenly he starts saying he is the best.

You know he isn't correct but damned if you don't want to watch.

You end up with people believing he was the best because he said so and others hoping he'd get humbled.

Everyone watched so Sonnen won.

Look how people sell themselves on resumes to get jobs.

It's not all true but it's about creating that perception that you must be hired.

Fighters need to create the perception that you must pay to see them fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 7:47 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's not harsh, that's reality. Aldo is a coaster Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 7:47 PM
TryhardNobody
559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only ppl who will hear Dana say any of this stuff are the hardcore fans. My girlfriend and other casual fans will never hear or care about any of it. I think most of the ppl who hear this stuff and give a dam know Dana is a goof
6/22/14 7:49 PM
vagabond
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What exactly is a promoters job besides promoting fighters and fights?
6/22/14 8:53 PM
Dreville79

D241 -

"I love Jose Aldo.  He's the best p4p fighter in the world......for 2 rounds.   Then he starts to slide off."

"It's up to Jose Aldo to make people want to care, and buy his fights"

Dana White said both of those statements, in the same sit down interview.

I was under the impression Dana White is a promotor.  I thought Dana is supposed to promote his fighters.  In this interview, Dana White knocks one of the most proven fighters in the organization, and says that it's the fighters job to promote.

He's a promoter 2nd, a fan first. That's how the UFC is where it is. Dana, Rogan, Silva, all huge fight fans that wanna see the same great matches we do.

Apart from all the cool kids here who think slagging Dana off makes them the hardcore fans of course Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 8:57 PM
BodyByCoors
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taz Styles -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1UgMg3iog

Dana White Talks Scott Coker, Jon Jones, Jose Aldo and more 

Thx Taz...VU Phone Post 3.0
6/22/14 9:35 PM
potato623

dragoon247 - That is Dana excuse to why hes paying Aldo in peanuts.

Dude makes 240,000 with PPV. He needs to make people want to see his fights. Outside the Frankie and Mendes fights, he's looked mediocre in the UFC coasting too decisions.

It will probably take a Connor McGregor to draw eyeballs to Aldo, maybe he'd even show some life if Connor raddled him with his words.

I'd put him on Fox for a couple of fights, or at least as a #2 on a major PPV. I'm buying UFC 176 regardless of the undercard, I like to watch the guy fight, but the casual audience just doesn't appreciate the dude yet, he's got to make them care.
6/22/14 10:00 PM
GSDbestbreed
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana may be right in his assessment, but this is something he should tell Aldo personally. Keep it behind the scenes, give him advice on how to sell himself etc...

That's the problem I have with Dana, he puts too much shit out there. He almost relishes giving theses types of answers when asked. If he were more tactful, and politely deflected it would stop a lot of the drama. But Big Daddy Dana has to always flex his nutts,and show who the boss is. It's not him being a straight shooter etc, It's all ego. And It's obnoxious.
6/22/14 10:03 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)

well if that's the case pay Diaz.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.