UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: Biting in soccer doesn't make sense

6/27/14 9:00 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While the most common base in mixed martial arts is wrestling, with BJJ not too far behind, former UFC middleweight, welterweight, lightweight, and featherweight Kenny Florian started off as a soccer player, for the Boston College Eagles.

Florian appeared recently on FOX Sports Live and was asked to comment on the biggest news out the World Cup besides USA>UK - Uruguay's Luis Suarez biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini.

After biting/being bit, as one would expect, both players feigned injury and flopped to the ground.

It was UFC Tonight co-host Chael Sonnen who replied most compellingly, from experience.

"Lets start with what happened on the soccer field," said Sonnen as transcribed by  David St. Martin for MMAFighting. "To bite someone in the course of battle at least somehow makes some kind of sense. To walk up behind a guy and just bite into his shoulder is just a very weird thing to do."

"I've never experienced it in the Octagon, but I have experienced it in wrestling matches. I'll be quite honest, I've been on both sides of it. That's right. I'm very shady."

"Now, they stuck their finger in my mouth. He put his finger in my mouth and was trying to give me the old fishhook, so I gave him just a little, gentle bite to let him know, 'I will chomp on this thing should you not remove your finger.' Shady."

So what do you think UG? Under what circumstances would you bite someone?

6/27/14 9:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DirtehSneakehs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If their dong have Chipotle mustard on it. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 9:12 AM
AMERICANTstopbeingaRORYfanforlife
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

everyone knows the best way to recover from a bite wound is titty cancer drugs

6/27/14 9:19 AM
TheVandalz
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would only bite someone if they were made out of chocolate.

6/27/14 9:25 AM
XIII
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully FIFA is not going to complain about those gifs.
6/27/14 9:27 AM
newbie2013

Only when im hungry Phone Post
6/27/14 9:28 AM
shaqitup
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XIII - Hopefully FIFA is not going to complain about those gifs.

yeah what kind of a cunt sport org would do that?
6/27/14 10:06 AM
Ports89

If the World Cup was ppv they would have every right to be upset.....not that I agree with the gif banning for ppv but at least compare apples with apples if ur going to be a smart ass Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 10:11 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ports89 - If the World Cup was ppv they would have every right to be upset.....not that I agree with the gif banning for ppv but at least compare apples with apples if ur going to be a smart ass Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 10:23 AM
Sleazy Martinez
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though the bite was blatant as fuck an completely inexcusable, to go down from said bite like you've been fucking snipered is almost as shameful. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 10:29 AM
Ryan Black
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheVandalz -

I would only bite someone if they were made out of chocolate.

VU, and this.

I, too, have been in the exact situation Chael described while wrestling in high school. There were some guys that had no problem getting dirty- and would employ any possible means necessary to gain an assumed advantage. It was a gut-reaction to do exactly what Chael described when fish-hooked. I wouldn't really call that 'biting'- I'd say it was moreso reacting instinctively to a finger in my mouth trying to rip my cheek open...

'Biting' would be what another competitor did when he got out from underneath me, and literally bit a chunk out of my side, underneath my left arm near the side of the ribcage, on his way up. Fucker literally took a chunk out of me- to the point where I needed stitches, and still have a scar to this day. Looking back on it, there's no doubt in anyone's mind it was intentional, but I can't imagine he was expecting that exact result.

A few terrible experiences will always stand-out, but so many more were positive memories I wouldn't trade for anything when it comes to my high school wrestling days... but there were certainly some guys with no qualms about playing dirty- and with my short time wrestling in high school compared to Chael's outstanding wrestling career, coupled with his journey through MMA, I'd imagine he's seen it all... Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 12:37 PM
FlyingKnee_bar
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha, Chael knows the deal, although i was by no means a dirty wrestler, you gotta know when and where to use clavicle locks, finger traps, and fish hooks, sometimes a good ole fashion eye rake might do the trick
6/27/14 12:45 PM
Phil999

Sleazy Martinez - Even though the bite was blatant as fuck an completely inexcusable, to go down from said bite like you've been fucking snipered is almost as shameful. Phone Post 3.0

After he Suarez bit him the Italian player elbowed him in the mouth which is why he was holding his teeth like that.
6/27/14 1:06 PM
Kenso
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil999 -
Sleazy Martinez - Even though the bite was blatant as fuck an completely inexcusable, to go down from said bite like you've been fucking snipered is almost as shameful. Phone Post 3.0

After he Suarez bit him the Italian player elbowed him in the mouth which is why he was holding his teeth like that.
The italian didn't quite hit him but Suarez was downplaying his wrongdoing by faking an injury. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 1:28 PM
Baxi

Soccer????? You mean FOOTBALL Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 1:41 PM
AMERICANTstopbeingaRORYfanforlife
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baxi - Soccer????? You mean FOOTBALL Phone Post 3.0

6/27/14 2:08 PM
DP Grand Prix

XIII - Hopefully FIFA is not going to complain about those gifs.

this. please remove, you are costing the sport of soccer revenue...
6/27/14 2:08 PM
rkm456
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, they mean soccer. Football is an entirely different sport played by men.
6/27/14 2:58 PM
2breath2feel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 - 

QFT...

In a dual tournament back when I was wrestling,One of the teams was a correctional facility. Sure enough the dude I wrestled not only bit his prior opponent, he bit his nutsack.

HE BIT HIS NUTS
6/27/14 3:38 PM
rkm456
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Madrugadao - 
rkm456 - 

...in fancy dress and crash helmets.

And when they get carted off on a stretcher, they won't be running around the field within the next 5 minutes.
6/27/14 3:44 PM
Sleazy Martinez
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil999 - 

I was referring to the Italian player going dowm like he'd been shot. I probably could have been clearer in my first post but i was typing on the go.

6/27/14 3:46 PM
rIKmAN

rkm456 -
Madrugadao - 
rkm456 - 

And when they get carted off on a stretcher, they won't be running around the field within the next 5 minutes.
Because there is a break in play for the next 10mins while everyone recovers from the 30sec of exertion they just did. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 4:06 PM
rkm456

rIKmAN - 
rkm456 -
Madrugadao - 
rkm456 - 

Because there is a break in play for the next 10mins while everyone recovers from the 30sec of exertion they just did. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry dude. There's only one sport in the world where a grown man will allow himself to be carried off on a stretcher knowing full well, he isn't actually hurt and will be returning to the game.
6/27/14 4:08 PM
Kepler

rIKmAN - 
rkm456 -
Madrugadao - 
rkm456 - 

Average American football game lasts 3 hours and 12 mins.

Within those 192 mins 11 mins are actual play time

17 mins are of replays

75 mins watching players and cheerleaders/crowd

20 commercial breaks showing nearly 100 commercials.

http://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/

Oh boy what a manly sport...
6/27/14 4:14 PM
MarcVanBas

;Lenny on the cobbles would have bit your face off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DraD1LFGkr8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.