UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: Biting in soccer doesn't make sense

6/27/14 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rkm456
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So 75 mins of watching players, isn't play time? Then what do you call all the peripheral soccer players who are walking around the field during play? Soccer averages about 25 shots per game, so by your logic, what's their "average playing time" Less than a minute? Because surely you aren't counting, player swaps, goalie ball handling, and the set up of corner, free and penalty kicks as "actual play time" as you put it.

Funny thing is, I'm not even a big football fan, I'm just a sports fan, but the reality is the places where soccer is adored are countries that just aren't good at anything else, so they rally around the one sport that the big athletic powers aren't good at and pass it off as "the world's game" If you sit back and look at it, it's the craziest thing ever. Every 4 years they have a tournament, invite 32 teams, and at least 25 of them go knowing they have no chance in hell of ever winning. What's crazier is that people pretend their country has a chance of winning, lol. Does anyone here actually believe England is ever going to win another world cup? Any of the teams from Asia or Africa? There are maybe 10 countries with an actual chance of winning a world cup at any given tourney, AND IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME 10 TEAMS. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
6/27/14 6:10 PM
Kepler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 - So 75 mins of watching players, isn't play time? Then what do you call all the peripheral soccer players who are walking around the field during play? Soccer averages about 25 shots per game, so by your logic, what's their "average playing time" Less than a minute? Because surely you aren't counting, player swaps, goalie ball handling, and the set up of corner, free and penalty kicks as "actual play time" as you put it.

Funny thing is, I'm not even a big football fan, I'm just a sports fan, but the reality is the places where soccer is adored are countries that just aren't good at anything else, so they rally around the one sport that the big athletic powers aren't good at and pass it off as "the world's game" If you sit back and look at it, it's the craziest thing ever. Every 4 years they have a tournament, invite 32 teams, and at least 25 of them go knowing they have no chance in hell of ever winning. What's crazier is that people pretend their country has a chance of winning, lol. Does anyone here actually believe England is ever going to win another world cup? Any of the teams from Asia or Africa? There are maybe 10 countries with an actual chance of winning a world cup at any given tourney, AND IT'S ALWAYS THE SAME 10 TEAMS. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

"the reality is the places where soccer is adored are countries that just aren't good at anything else" ROFL.

You can't be serious... You must be American. STOP TROLLING ME BRO MY MIND IS TOO WEAK TO TAKE IT!

6/27/14 6:16 PM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bit a kid at school when I was maybe 7. Got in lots of shit for it.

Got my revenge a year later when my arm was in a plaster cast. Whacked that fucker in the head

Did anyone else have childhood nemesis? Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 7:45 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJHTVR6FF6o
6/27/14 7:45 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - I bit a kid at school when I was maybe 7. Got in lots of shit for it.

Got my revenge a year later when my arm was in a plaster cast. Whacked that fucker in the head

you must have been a real pussy.. from biting to using a cast lol

6/27/14 7:46 PM
Son of Neckbone
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have wrestled since I was 10 and coach wrestling.

I have never been bitten or bit anyone, and I can't think of a single instance where it's happened in a meet I was involved in. It's cowardly and disgusting.

6/27/14 7:47 PM
caposa
1665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised Ronda wasn't suspended for this

6/27/14 7:53 PM
Sloppy Single Leg

"I've never experienced it in the Octagon, but I have experienced it in wrestling matches. I'll be quite honest, I've been on both sides of it. That's right. I'm very shady."

I wonder if Jake Shields has any history of biting in his wrestling career?
6/27/14 7:57 PM
Dreville79
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 - So 75 mins of watching players, isn't play time? Then what do you call all the peripheral soccer players who are walking around the field during play? Soccer averages about 25 shots per game, so by your logic, what's their "average playing time" Less than a minute? Because surely you aren't counting, player swaps, goalie ball handling, and the set up of corner, free and penalty kicks as "actual play time" as you put it.

Speaking as someone from the UK, where Football is adored, I can assure you in our case we're certainly not good at it!

It is Football though, as I stated in a different thread, only idiots would call a game played primarily by running with a ball in your hands, FOOTball Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 7:58 PM
Dreville79
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

I'm surprised Ronda wasn't suspended for this

Ronda could pull out a nightstick and beat the shit out of her opponent and she wouldn't get suspended dude Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 10:53 PM
rkm456

Dreville79 - 
rkm456 - So 75 mins of watching players, isn't play time? Then what do you call all the peripheral soccer players who are walking around the field during play? Soccer averages about 25 shots per game, so by your logic, what's their "average playing time" Less than a minute? Because surely you aren't counting, player swaps, goalie ball handling, and the set up of corner, free and penalty kicks as "actual play time" as you put it.

Speaking as someone from the UK, where Football is adored, I can assure you in our case we're certainly not good at it!

It is Football though, as I stated in a different thread, only idiots would call a game played primarily by running with a ball in your hands, FOOTball Phone Post 3.0

100% accurate. the English are the best of the UK countries when it comes to soccer, but yeah, you're all bad at it. I never understood why the Brits would invent the word soccer, only later to buck it for no good reason.
6/27/14 11:01 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at soccer Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 11:03 PM
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - I bit a kid at school when I was maybe 7. Got in lots of shit for it.

That's some Cowboy Bob Orton shit. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 11:10 PM
rkm456

Kepler - 
rkm456 - So 75 mins of watching players, isn't play time? Then what do you call all the peripheral soccer players who are walking around the field during play? Soccer averages about 25 shots per game, so by your logic, what's their "average playing time" Less than a minute? Because surely you aren't counting, player swaps, goalie ball handling, and the set up of corner, free and penalty kicks as "actual play time" as you put it.

"the reality is the places where soccer is adored are countries that just aren't good at anything else" ROFL.

You can't be serious... You must be American. STOP TROLLING ME BRO MY MIND IS TOO WEAK TO TAKE IT!

Definitely not American, way to illustrate my point for me though. Soccer is popular in countries where Americans aren't generally regarded well. It's the worlds lone opportunity to pull one over on the "big bad Americans" in a sporting environment.

What are the reasons we're always given for it being the "world's game"?

"It's inexpensive": So is wrestling, so is running. In fact they're cheaper, but the soccer countries suck at those sports. It's also not any cheaper than basketball, and it sure as fuck isn't more entertaining. Problem is, someone else is already good at that sport so we'll just ignore it too. Soccer isn't "the world's game" it's "the rest of the world's game"
6/27/14 11:17 PM

Soccer is a sport for flopping nancies. It's nice that the Brits have a sport that they can feel good about but the sport itself is laughable. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 11:30 PM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - I bit a kid at school when I was maybe 7. Got in lots of shit for it.

you must have been a real pussy.. from biting to using a cast lol

Haha yea iirc correctly I bit him while catching an ass whooping, and got him with the cast when he was trying to get some revenge I guess.

All started around 5 when he was having a race in the schoolyard and I stuck a leg out. Ripped his school trousers. His mum marched into the class the next day and yelled that my mum was gonna be effing paying for them.

Think the cast ended it iirc. He was never a good buddy of mine but he was in my class pretty much all my school life. Funny dude. Dumber than shit Phone Post 3.0
6/27/14 11:33 PM
rkm456

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - Soccer is a sport for flopping nancies. It's nice that the Brits have a sport that they can feel good about but the sport itself is laughable. Phone Post 3.0

In what galaxy is someone proud of something they suck at? Should a shark be proud of his ability to climb a tree?

By the way, it's also a sport for women and young kids.
6/28/14 2:14 AM
Shakwon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dreville79 - 

6/28/14 2:25 AM
Shakwon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kepler - 
rIKmAN - 
rkm456 -
Madrugadao - 
rkm456 - 
Baxi - Soccer????? You mean FOOTBALL Phone Post 3.0

No, they mean soccer. Football is an entirely different sport played by men.

...in fancy dress and crash helmets.

And when they get carted off on a stretcher, they won't be running around the field within the next 5 minutes.
Because there is a break in play for the next 10mins while everyone recovers from the 30sec of exertion they just did. Phone Post 3.0

Average American football game lasts 3 hours and 12 mins.

Within those 192 mins 11 mins are actual play time

17 mins are of replays

75 mins watching players and cheerleaders/crowd

20 commercial breaks showing nearly 100 commercials.

http://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/

Oh boy what a manly sport...

Exactly. I love football and soccer, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. For some reason, certain football fans seem to think soccer is trying to steal their thunder or compete against them and get all defensive and have to lash out at the sport of soccer or people who enjoy watching it.

Football players train very specifically for explosive short powerful bursts after which they get lots of rest. It's a completely different type of physical fitness and athleticism than a player that runs 45 minutes straight with no breaks. Midfielders tend to average 9-10 miles of running in one 90 minute game. 

6/28/14 2:41 AM

rkm456 -
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - Soccer is a sport for flopping nancies. It's nice that the Brits have a sport that they can feel good about but the sport itself is laughable. Phone Post 3.0

In what galaxy is someone proud of something they suck at? Should a shark be proud of his ability to climb a tree?

By the way, it's also a sport for women and young kids.
I don't know anything about soccer really other than the sport itself. I guess I assumed Brits are good at Soccer. Isn't it popular over there? Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 3:20 AM
Shakwon

What countries do you consider the 'big athletic powers'?

Also, teams qualify for the World Cup by doing well in the regional tournaments, they aren't just invited at random. It is referred to as the 'World's Game' because there are over 200 countries that are apart of FIFA.

The 75 minutes of watching players in football is referring to the play clock. Of each 15 minute quarter, a majority of that time is the play clock winding down between plays. Each play only typically lasts 5-15 seconds. So most of the actual 'game time' isn't spending running plays, it's spent calling plays, huddling, getting in formation, etc. 

6/28/14 3:22 AM
XIII
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 - 
Kepler - 

Definitely not American, way to illustrate my point for me though. Soccer is popular in countries where Americans aren't generally regarded well. It's the worlds lone opportunity to pull one over on the "big bad Americans" in a sporting environment.

"It's inexpensive": So is wrestling, so is running. In fact they're cheaper, but the soccer countries suck at those sports. It's also not any cheaper than basketball, and it sure as fuck isn't more entertaining. Problem is, someone else is already good at that sport so we'll just ignore it too. Soccer isn't "the world's game" it's "the rest of the world's game"

Do I really have to give examples to show you that you're talking out of your ass?
6/28/14 7:49 AM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 -
Kepler - 

Pipe down u simpleton. Wrestling requires wrestling mats. Basketball needs a concrete court and a hoop. Ever been to Africa bro? Those things are in short supply Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 9:21 PM
rkm456

Shakwon - 

What countries do you consider the 'big athletic powers'?

Also, teams qualify for the World Cup by doing well in the regional tournaments, they aren't just invited at random. It is referred to as the 'World's Game' because there are over 200 countries that are apart of FIFA.

The 75 minutes of watching players in football is referring to the play clock. Of each 15 minute quarter, a majority of that time is the play clock winding down between plays. Each play only typically lasts 5-15 seconds. So most of the actual 'game time' isn't spending running plays, it's spent calling plays, huddling, getting in formation, etc. 

U.S. and China, are the world's athletic super powers. it's not even debatable.

Yes, I understand they qualify to get in. More than half the teams who qualify have no chance of winning, again, not debatable.

I not suggested football is wall to wall action, but are you honestly going to pretend those guys are running hard for 90 plus minutes? The reason they have stoppage time is because of players wasting time.

I do always think it's hilarious that soccer fans immediately make 2 assumptions when someone says they don't like soccer. 1) You're a huge football fan 2) You're American. I'm neither, I'm a sports fan who sees 3 major problems with what could be a great sport that would clean it up drastically. But the sport is dragged down by hipster fans who don't want anyone into their secret club. Introduce stop time, penalizing dives/ fake injuries, and instant replay. Those things wouldn't at all damage the integrity of the game, but would change the way it's played forever and for the better.
6/28/14 9:25 PM
rkm456

burner22 - 
rkm456 -
Kepler - 

Pipe down u simpleton. Wrestling requires wrestling mats. Basketball needs a concrete court and a hoop. Ever been to Africa bro? Those things are in short supply Phone Post 3.0

Soccer needs nets, and basketball doesn't require concrete just a firm enough surface to bounce a ball off of. Wrestling also doesn't require mats. Oh, and running still requires 0 equipment. I love the reach though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.