UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Olivera vs Hioki

6/28/14 6:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gage949
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a badass fight! Awesome scrambles on the mat and the moments spent on the feet where crazy.

Olivera fights through a bad eye poke and wins with a sick sub

Wow Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 6:43 AM
Eskoe1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree op. Not sure if that was a peruvian neck tie but that shit looked nice. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 6:47 AM
Captain_Underpants
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sub was sick, here was absolutely no way Hatsu was escaping that. Good fight, should've been the main event instead of the HWs Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 3:46 PM
jwistead
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU.

I wasn't that excited about watching this card, sorta turned it on in the background this afternoon (EST), already knew the outcomes.

Having said that, this is a *GREAT* fight. These two guys showcase grappling. Not just grappling, but what you could do if you allow knees and elbows in grappling. MMA grappling.

Great show.

Seriously, this one fight alone is worth $10 for fightpass. If you're thinking about skipping this fight, WATCH IT!
6/28/14 3:52 PM
jwistead
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, I'd pay to watch these guys fight again. Great fight!
6/28/14 3:58 PM
Lick Boners

It was a great fight just like I hoped, I feel for Hioki though for slipping for just a second and getting caught in too deep. Great win for Oliveira, maybe match him up with the Brandao-Conor winner next?

Would also love to see Hioki rematch Niinimäki at some point in time while both are still in the UFC
6/28/14 4:03 PM
vagabond
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hioki has had tough run in the ufc so far. I hope he can come back and really show what he ks capable of. He is pure awesome.
6/28/14 4:03 PM
jwistead

Lick Boners - It was a great fight just like I hoped, I feel for Hioki though for slipping for just a second and getting caught in too deep. Great win for Oliveira, maybe match him up with the Brandao-Conor winner next?

Would also love to see Hioki rematch Niinimäki at some point in time while both are still in the UFC

Oliviera called out Lentz post fight... apparently there was a NC between them a few years back. I think it's a great match-up... I could even see the winner getting title shot.
6/28/14 4:13 PM
Chucklesmf
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That fight was everything I hoped it would be and better. They're both on a completely different level when it comes to the ground game, and it was a treat to witness. And I've heard a couple of people call Do Bronx's sub "The Bronx Neck Tie" haha. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 4:14 PM
jwistead

vagabond - Hioki has had tough run in the ufc so far. I hope he can come back and really show what he ks capable of. He is pure awesome.

This fight was such an awesome grappling match, like, one of those ones that only comes along once a year.

I was trying to figure out how you'd pick fighters to increase your chances of a fight like this. The best thing I can come up with is choose two aggressive BJJ guys. But then you get Jake Shields vs Demian Maia. So who knows.

Getting back to your point. Hioki's one of those guys that you could create a ton of exciting fights with the right kind of matchmaking. He's a rare talent and I hope they don't cut the kid anytime soon.
6/28/14 4:20 PM
Aikijiujitsu
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chucklesmf - That fight was everything I hoped it would be and better. They're both on a completely different level when it comes to the ground game, and it was a treat to witness. And I've heard a couple of people call Do Bronx's sub "The Bronx Neck Tie" haha. Phone Post 3.0

Anaconda neck tie no no Olivera neck tie.
6/28/14 4:33 PM
Aikijiujitsu
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/28/14 4:33 PM
gifs please

http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/10002975/submissions_Charles_Oliveira_Guillotine_Chokes_Hatsu_Hioki_UFC_Fight_Nig.gif
6/28/14 4:45 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

jwistead -
Lick Boners - It was a great fight just like I hoped, I feel for Hioki though for slipping for just a second and getting caught in too deep. Great win for Oliveira, maybe match him up with the Brandao-Conor winner next?

Oliviera called out Lentz post fight... apparently there was a NC between them a few years back. I think it's a great match-up... I could even see the winner getting title shot.
What the fuck are you talking about?!? Title shot? Really? Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 4:50 PM
EckY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome fight, best in recent memory, some really slick grappling exchanges.
6/28/14 5:06 PM
orcus

"The best thing I can come up with is choose two aggressive BJJ guys. But then you get Jake Shields vs Demian Maia. So who knows."

I don't think you're wrong. Jake has not been "aggressive" for years. I think Maia vs Jacare would be great.
6/28/14 5:19 PM
GuidaClayAllDay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://twitter.com/GuidaClayAllDay
jwistead - 

The Oliviera/Lentz fight was another awesome MMA grappling exchange until Lentz got hit with an illegal knee, which imo should be a legal knee anyway but that's another story.

I've been watching MMA for 8 years now, and have since watched a bunch of fights from before then.....I've never seen a guy that dominates the grappling in modern era MMA like Oliveira does. He is tremendously talented, even though I think he mentally gave up against Swanson.... only other guy I can think of that  hits subs in MMA with the same frequency is Faber, but Faber only hits guillotines and RNC's, Oliveira is extremely dangerous in so many positions....goes for subs from standing, the calf slicer....can't say enough about his grappling talent. 

6/28/14 5:30 PM
EckY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aoki vs Oliveira would be such a fun fight.
6/28/14 5:41 PM
jwistead

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
jwistead -

What the fuck are you talking about?!? Title shot? Really? Phone Post 3.0

Ah. During the broadcast I thought I heard them say something like 6 straight submission victories for Oliviera. I had three hours of sleep last night, so I guess I misunderstood what they were saying. When they said that, all I remembered was that extremely close, competitive fight with Frankie... so I thought sure, this guy's a contender.

Upon fact-checking, Oliviera's 3-4-1 in his last 8. I completely agree with you, and thanks for bringing it up.

Still, it's Saturday man, chill :)
6/28/14 5:42 PM
Lick Boners

Edited: 06/28/14 5:43 PM
Wow, thanks for the reminder Clay. That Oliveira-Lentz fight was epic, Oliveira even had Lentz in the exact modified d'arce that he had Hioki in but Lentz gutted it out and got his arm free
6/28/14 5:43 PM
jwistead

EckY - Aoki vs Oliveira would be such a fun fight.

This. I get the feeling Aoki is extremely nationalistic, and that's the reason he's not fighting in the US/UFC (amongst some more obvious reasons).

I wonder if they could edge him into a fight with Oliviera on nationalistic grounds? Hey, this guy just choked out your countryman! Aoki strikes me as the kind of guy that would respond to that.

Set the fight up in Japan. Fireworks!
6/28/14 5:53 PM
jwistead

orcus - "The best thing I can come up with is choose two aggressive BJJ guys. But then you get Jake Shields vs Demian Maia. So who knows."

I don't think you're wrong. Jake has not been "aggressive" for years. I think Maia vs Jacare would be great.

I cheer for Jake for personal reasons, but I feel like he's an over-achiever who is now swimming with bigger, faster and harder-hitting guys. I can't think of anyone that's cashed in on their grappling ability more than him (in the sense that he's got a very small set of world-class skills, and he's used those particular skills over and over).

Unfortunately as you mention, the lack of aggression. Admittedly, if I was over-matched, way in over my head, I'd probably use the same skillset he has in exactly the same way.

I'd love to see an MMA grappling match between Maia and Jacare, but the pessimist in me would bet on a kickboxing match between the two. Both guys fancy their hands :(
6/28/14 6:31 PM
Sloppy Single Leg
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jwistead - 
EckY - Aoki vs Oliveira would be such a fun fight.

This. I get the feeling Aoki is extremely nationalistic, and that's the reason he's not fighting in the US/UFC (amongst some more obvious reasons).

I wonder if they could edge him into a fight with Oliviera on nationalistic grounds? Hey, this guy just choked out your countryman! Aoki strikes me as the kind of guy that would respond to that.

Set the fight up in Japan. Fireworks!

That would be awesome. I feel like Aoki would get mauled on the feet though.
6/28/14 6:37 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was maybe fight of the year so far for me. Non stop aggression from both guys. Hell their were two submission attempts before the fight even got to the ground. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 6:40 PM
caseharts
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved it. I won so much money on it being a finish so happy Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 6:41 PM
Sloppy Single Leg
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - This was maybe fight of the year so far for me. Non stop aggression from both guys. Hell their were two submission attempts before the fight even got to the ground. Phone Post 3.0

Such bullshit that it wasn't FOTN.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.