UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey: McMann didn't want to be champion

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/28/14 9:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In her last title defense, Ronda Rousey defeated Sara McMann in the first round by TKO stoppage, but Rousey said recently she felt maybe McMann didn't really want to be the champion:

"I think that could have been what happened to Sara McMann," said Rousey, who meets Alexis Davis next weekend in Las Vegas. "I don't think she really wanted what came along with being the UFC champion. She did, really, zero media for the whole thing, because she felt like the media would interfere with her training. Well, the media needs to be part of her training."

Rousey explained that she considers her media obligations to be an extension of her training camp, since cameras follow the fighters all over the building on fight night whether or not they want them there.

"When it comes down to it, when it comes to the day that you're fighting, you could have avoided the cameras all that you want," Rousey said. "But they're in there in that locker room with you, and they're in your face while you're walking out. And they're filming you when you're fighting. And so of all the preparation that you've done that had no cameras involved, when they are involved, it's not going to be the same. A lot of people aren't going to want that and aren't ready for it and they're not going to enjoy it."

read entire article...

6/28/14 10:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HandyDarsh
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a good 12 hours since a Ronda post, I was starting to worry there Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 10:34 PM
BuddyRevell
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

octowussy - Sara McMann, Olympic silver medalist, did not want to be a champion. Okay!

Does this mean her BFF Nick Diaz never wanted to be champion?

This would have been a great follow-up question for her.

6/28/14 10:35 PM
NatualBornTickler
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh - It was a good 12 hours since a Ronda post, I was starting to worry there Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 10:56 PM
BeatonHauff
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Christ, stfu already Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 10:59 PM
The Power Double
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NatualBornTickler -
HandyDarsh - It was a good 12 hours since a Ronda post, I was starting to worry there Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 11:09 PM
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A string of easy fights for Ronda.

That division needs more talent. Problem is, there really isn't any except for the true woman's world champ Cyborg.

If she comes to the UFC, it's just one big fight. She kills Ronda in half a round, but then what?

Same problem. A champ with no real competition at all.

Bad news for women in the UFC imo.
6/28/14 11:25 PM
riddlebox
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She is obnoxious at this point Phone Post 3.0
6/28/14 11:26 PM
SC MMA MD
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That whole line of thought is maddening; and insulting to McMann Phone Post 3.0
6/29/14 7:03 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, look at that? The UG misquoting someone to incite anger again.

Yellow journalism at it's best. The difference between:

"McMann didn't want to be a champion."

and

"I don't think she really wanted what came along with being the UFC champion." Is huge.

One implies they have no heart. Another implies they value privacy. That's a huge difference, and whoever put this quote on the front page knew that. Everyone loses with threads like these.
6/29/14 7:34 AM
judom
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Rousey didn't want to be Olympic Champion :)
6/29/14 7:40 AM
Kentpaul
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/29/14 7:41 AM
Not hating here because i enjoy watching her fight, but Honda is just in the right place at the right time and is lucky that women's MMA is still in it's infancy because if the true elite women combat athletes started to take up the sport she would just be one of the girls instead of being numero uno.
6/29/14 7:44 AM
judom
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kentpaul,

This is correct. In Judo, Rousey was good at the Olympic level, but was not one that stands out or someone that people talk about. She got beaten many times.

She is doing what she can to cash in for 4-5 years and will then retire. I believe she will retire in the next 1-2 years. She is already 27 and I highly doubt she fights past 30.
6/29/14 7:46 AM
2BReal
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calibur1980 - Oh, look at that? The UG misquoting someone to incite anger again.

and

"I don't think she really wanted what came along with being the UFC champion." Is huge.

One implies they have no heart. Another implies they value privacy. That's a huge difference, and whoever put this quote on the front page knew that. Everyone loses with threads like these.

EXACTLY!!!!!

If people actually read what Ronda said (without bias), they would realize she made some good points.

McMann seems like a sweetheart, but look at her media workout for UFC 170. She seemed really nervous (which is understandable). IMO, all the people watching her threw her out of her element; I don't think she was used to the amount of attentions she was receiving.

As for the comment about Nick, he as changed considerably! If I remember correctly, UFC 158 sold as much at it did because of Nick Diaz (and of course GSP being the star that he is); it's the 9th best selling UFC PPV of all time. Nick has been promoting himself a lot (for example, going to the UFC 171 weigh-ins to heckle Johny).

So Ronda's response probably would be "Nick finally learned his lesson and realized selling himself outside the octagon comes with the territory. It took Nick a LONG time to realize that, but he has finally caught on."
6/29/14 7:59 AM
Kentpaul
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judom - Kentpaul,

This is correct. In Judo, Rousey was good at the Olympic level, but was not one that stands out or someone that people talk about. She got beaten many times.

She is doing what she can to cash in for 4-5 years and will then retire. I believe she will retire in the next 1-2 years. She is already 27 and I highly doubt she fights past 30.

Exactly because she is in her prime as an athlete where as McMann at almost 34 years old is probably five years past hers
6/29/14 6:37 PM
horsemeat grew my head
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the last fight was an early stoppage and even if Rousey landed a one hitter quitter with her otherwise garbage stand up I still think Mcmann has everything it takes to beat Rousey. Phone Post 3.0
6/29/14 6:42 PM
Jimmy Wrassler
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cleopatra - 
Calibur1980 - Oh, look at that? The UG misquoting someone to incite anger again.

and

Right here Phone Post 3.0

Yup.  Kirik has a thread stickied about how this place needs to change yet the blog is still fucking trolling for clicks. 

6/29/14 6:51 PM
mada

Jimmy Wrassler -
Cleopatra - 
Calibur1980 - Oh, look at that? The UG misquoting someone to incite anger again.

and

Right here Phone Post 3.0

Yup.  Kirik has a thread stickied about how this place needs to change yet the blog is still fucking trolling for clicks. 

No kidding, tough to take his thread serious and then read this horseshit. Also amazing how many people on here get so heated over a thread title and never read the actual article. Rogan was exactly right Phone Post 3.0
6/30/14 12:38 AM
Sleazy Martinez
788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and

This. Phone Post 3.0
6/30/14 2:01 AM
Thingading
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eerrrmm, the UG did not make up the following, it is directly from the article:

"Rousey was asked at a Friday UFC 175 media luncheon about what it takes to stay at the top of the heap. The undefeated bantamweight champion singled out McMann, whom she defeated in just over a minute at UFC 170, as an example of a fighter who she felt didn't have her heart into going through the championship grind."

This doesn't appear to be baiting by the UG, merely yet another stupid statement by Honda.

By the way, why would some of the first words out of McMann's mouth after her defeat be "I would like a rematch with her" if she didn't want to be champion?
6/30/14 2:25 AM
Jimmy Wrassler
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thingading - Eerrrmm, the UG did not make up the following, it is directly from the article:

"Rousey was asked at a Friday UFC 175 media luncheon about what it takes to stay at the top of the heap. The undefeated bantamweight champion singled out McMann, whom she defeated in just over a minute at UFC 170, as an example of a fighter who she felt didn't have her heart into going through the championship grind."

This doesn't appear to be baiting by the UG, merely yet another stupid statement by Honda.

By the way, why would some of the first words out of McMann's mouth after her defeat be "I would like a rematch with her" if she didn't want to be champion?
Didnt she elaborate saying she thought the media was a part of the grind and Sara did none? It's not hard to understand what she meant compared to the thread title

I'm not a huge Ronda fan but these threads are simply meant to generate clicks, not start a meaningful conversation Phone Post 3.0
6/30/14 2:50 AM
Captain_Underpants

Even if she said Sara had no heart or whatever, so what? Jesus, people shit on Cain for being a boring champ that doesn't talk much, but shit on Ronda because she lets her feelings and thoughts be known. Most MMA fans are too obsessed to with how people act or love life outside the octagon rather than their fight ability Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.