UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ looks skinny (NEW)

7/6/14 11:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Black Belt Wrestling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

BJ has 10 losses and I swear he mentally quit after round 1 in like 8 of those losses.

7/6/14 11:43 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

LOL

BJ has 10 losses and I swear he mentally quit after round 1 in like 8 of those losses.

7/7/14 12:07 AM
boxing wiz
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man don't bash on the guy. He's a all time great who fought ANY and EVERYBODY. He is old and doesn't have it anymore. It happens to everyone (even Bernard Hopkins someday).It isn't like he lost to Blake Bowman or the lobster geek from TUF 5. He got beat by one of the greatest 145-155lbs ever, who is in or still very close to his prime. If you don't like BJ cool, but don't try and belittle him or his accomplishments, it only makes you look like a jealous hater.

I hate that I was right, but he is a spent fighter. He cut down and look lean, but there is nothing left. The guy was a killer in his prime, and for a lengthy time. If this is what he needed to prove to him its over, then so be it. Its tough for the guys who were ultimate competitors to accept that their time as fighters is over. BJ is no different. He had a Great career. Now he can go surf, smoke out, roll when he wants too and enjoy life.
7/7/14 1:25 AM
CactusJack
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt Wrestling - LOL

LOL

BJ has 10 losses and I swear he mentally quit after round 1 in like 8 of those losses. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 1:33 AM
stillmatic
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing wiz - Man don't bash on the guy. He's a all time great who fought ANY and EVERYBODY. He is old and doesn't have it anymore. It happens to everyone (even Bernard Hopkins someday).It isn't like he lost to Blake Bowman or the lobster geek from TUF 5. He got beat by one of the greatest 145-155lbs ever, who is in or still very close to his prime. If you don't like BJ cool, but don't try and belittle him or his accomplishments, it only makes you look like a jealous hater.

I hate that I was right, but he is a spent fighter. He cut down and look lean, but there is nothing left. The guy was a killer in his prime, and for a lengthy time. If this is what he needed to prove to him its over, then so be it. Its tough for the guys who were ultimate competitors to accept that their time as fighters is over. BJ is no different. He had a Great career. Now he can go surf, smoke out, roll when he wants too and enjoy life.

+1

I didn't want to admit it either, but am not shocked by the results, strategy aside. Dropping lots of weight when you get to your mid 30's is rarely a recipe for success. I've seen it before with Roy Jones and Chris Byrd.

Fighters never want to admit they don't have it anymore. I'm sure he did fine in training, but the fight is something different all together and he did what shot fighters do. They see openings and just can't pull the trigger and they end up freezing up.
7/7/14 4:01 AM
boxing wiz
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stillmatic - 
boxing wiz - Man don't bash on the guy. He's a all time great who fought ANY and EVERYBODY. He is old and doesn't have it anymore. It happens to everyone (even Bernard Hopkins someday).It isn't like he lost to Blake Bowman or the lobster geek from TUF 5. He got beat by one of the greatest 145-155lbs ever, who is in or still very close to his prime. If you don't like BJ cool, but don't try and belittle him or his accomplishments, it only makes you look like a jealous hater.

+1

I didn't want to admit it either, but am not shocked by the results, strategy aside. Dropping lots of weight when you get to your mid 30's is rarely a recipe for success. I've seen it before with Roy Jones and Chris Byrd.

Fighters never want to admit they don't have it anymore. I'm sure he did fine in training, but the fight is something different all together and he did what shot fighters do. They see openings and just can't pull the trigger and they end up freezing up.

I appreciate the +1. I got 3 VD's yesterday over this. Malvert gave me a bump up. I got two more somewhere else and then 3 more VD's tonight. Not that the votes are for anything, but its funny people are upset over this fight. I never even said anything bad nor did I gloat when my suspisions were proven correct. I dont bash too many fighters. Its a tough "sport" and it takes balls to get in there and risk getting not only thoroughly embarrased, but also seriously injured. I dont think a lot of people on this forum have ever boxed, wrestled or competed in mma or BJJ. No matter what discipline, you learn to respect anyone who does compete just for having the heart to get in there. I wasn't too big of a Matt Serra fan until he went off on Mark Laimon for shit talking Royce. Matt was spot on with what he said.
7/7/14 9:49 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

LOL

BJ has 10 losses and I swear he mentally quit after round 1 in like 9 of those losses.

I wonder if the fact that he was born into a wealthy family makes him that way? Serious question. BJ is the classic front runner.

He just doesn't have the heart & grit of a true legend like Matt Hughes or Frankie Edgar. Wrestling just breeds toughness.
7/8/14 1:38 AM
boxing wiz

I'll give it to you that BJ doesnt have the Grit and Heart of Frankie Edgar. Name me one fighter in mma that does. Edgar, especially in how he came back in the two fights with Gray Maynard, built what has become a legendary reputation.

Now Matt Hughes was a physically strong, but I dont think people place him in the same category as Edgar when it comes to toughness. Wrestling is no doubt tough sport that produces some of the most mentally and physically strong competitors in mma. I dont think you can question BJ's toughness. The guy had to beg to get a fight with Hughes, who most thought he was crazy for wanting and gave him no chance of winning. BJ went and broke Hughes both physically and mentally. BJ never had any fights where he came back from the brink of defeat like Edgar. BJ rarely lost a first round, even in the fights he lost. Nobody will argue that BJ had stamina issues. I think there are a few reasons for it. First, BJ didn't fight with any attempt to pace himself. The rematch with Hughes, he did everything but stop him. He went after him so hard that he didnt save anything for the later rounds. Same with the first GSP fight. He busted GSP up horribly. The trouble was BJ would use so much energy going after these guys who were naturally bigger and stronger than him, that he wasn't nearly as strong or fast in the later part of the fight as he was in the beginning. Its not a knock on his grit or toughness. If you don't like BJ, that is fine. But don't fabricate things in an attempt to bash his accomplishments in bis career.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.