UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Weidman defeats vitor and Jacare-Goat(mw)

7/6/14 5:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kinkle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Just not sure how winning a decision over a 36yo Machida is quality."

And what is Anderson's biggest win???? A 37yo Dan Henderson????
7/6/14 5:34 AM
Captain_Underpants

Humboldt -
Captain_Underpants -
Humboldt - That's a big IF!

Machida exposed weed man tonight. He will never have a legacy that comes close to Silva's.

Vitor and machida can and eventually (one or both) will beat him.

Plus... The dude is a tool. He is not, nor will he ever be the peoples champ. Phone Post 3.0
I'm fine with him being the champ. I think the only people he is a tool to and don't consider him the champ is you and the rest of the Anderson fans Phone Post 3.0
Andy was the man. It's not a bad thing to be a fan of his kid.

But, you are post TUF era, aren't you? Probably not too keen on Kerr, or Newton, or Sudo... You probably don't even know who Joe Hurley is do you? Phone Post 3.0
Wow, I didn't watch MMA when it first started, I must not know what I'm talking about! You know everything, I should've just agreed with you since you've been watching for a long time!

I never said it was bad to be an Andy fan, but give Weidman his credit. He beat Anderson, Anderson will always be one of the greatest fighter to breathe, pat present and future. No one will ever take that away from him, but he got beat by Chris, twice. Chris is the champion now, accept it. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 5:37 AM
Don Silvio
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Defeating Silva TWICE...now Machida and we all know he will beat up post TRT Vitor then defeats Jacare..... That's a lot more impressive that Patrick Cote, Nate Marquette, and rich Franklin. ...... Guy on another level !!!!!! Realize and Respect !!

Then he will have officially rivaled the Legacy of 'The Machida Era'

7/6/14 5:39 AM
Gojira Ninja

Still not hopping on the Weidman bandwagon. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 5:40 AM
Phisher

thebasher - No Phone Post 3.0

Yes. The division is significantly better now than it was during the bulk of Silva's reign.

7/6/14 5:40 AM
moss_4h
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no doubt. wins over silva(2x), machida, (vitor & jacare) > silva's ufc run
7/6/14 5:59 AM
Don Silvio
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 
thebasher - No Phone Post 3.0

Yes. The division is significantly better now than it was during the bulk of Silva's reign.

ALL divisions are significantly better now than they were five, ten years ago

The sport is evolving....it's not like all these guys were out there calling Anderson out, and he just refused to fight them

Each new generation of fighters builds upon the next one, and in ten years you same people will be talking about how ________'s reign is so much more impressive than was Weidman's

There's a four year old kid out there right now who will someday be the most impressive MMA specimen the world has ever seen, and he will have never constructed such an impressive vocabulary of technique/skill had the bar not been raised by the likes of BJ Penn, Fedor, Anderson, Aldo, GSP, and any other dominant fighter who contributed to advancing the total pool of possible techniques
How do people not get this?
7/6/14 6:08 AM
Brasco

Weidman striking already on machida level. Never got hit by Munoz. Was coming off a long layoff in first silva fight then destroyed him second fight ....his wrestling is about as sick as it gets. His ground game is about as sick as it gets as well. The dude is phenomenal. I don't know how it gets much better than this guys.
7/6/14 6:10 AM
Brasco

And he is a huge middleweight !!!!
7/6/14 6:26 AM
savagetruth

and now the weidman bandwagon begins to roll Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 6:33 AM
NatualBornTickler
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - I don't know if that's enough to be GOAT, but that is a crazy Brazilian gauntlet. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 6:44 AM
BeauTown

Anderson is goat MW Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 6:53 AM
chadp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Weidman striking already on machida level. Never got hit by Munoz. Was coming off a long layoff in first silva fight then destroyed him second fight ....his wrestling is about as sick as it gets. His ground game is about as sick as it gets as well. The dude is phenomenal. I don't know how it gets much better than this guys.
You really consider Weidman's striking on Machida's level? Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 6:58 AM
MMA Promoter1

ChuteBoxYouUp - "ALL divisions are significantly better now than they were five, ten years ago"

IMO The LHW division five years ago was better then it is now (certainly was more stacked with prime opponents back then)

The MW division was so weak when Anderson was champ that the division had no where to go but up

Its like, of course it got better. It was shit before

The MW Division was perceived weak because Anderson had cleared it out. The same fighters that were at MW during Anderson's reign are still in the same MW division you're now calling strong. What is it?

7/6/14 7:01 AM
Teamquestnorths step daddy

Brasco - Defeating Silva TWICE...now Machida and we all know he will beat up post TRT Vitor then defeats Jacare..... That's a lot more impressive that Patrick Cote, Nate Marquette, and rich Franklin. ...... Guy on another level !!!!!! Realize and Respect !!
Would you give home Pablo-esque ball licking if he did it on concrete? Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 7:11 AM
ApolloRD
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he beats jbj maybe Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 7:14 AM
Don Silvio

Captain_Underpants - 
Humboldt -
Captain_Underpants -
Humboldt - That's a big IF!

Machida exposed weed man tonight. He will never have a legacy that comes close to Silva's.

Vitor and machida can and eventually (one or both) will beat him.

Plus... The dude is a tool. He is not, nor will he ever be the peoples champ. Phone Post 3.0
I'm fine with him being the champ. I think the only people he is a tool to and don't consider him the champ is you and the rest of the Anderson fans Phone Post 3.0
Andy was the man. It's not a bad thing to be a fan of his kid.

But, you are post TUF era, aren't you? Probably not too keen on Kerr, or Newton, or Sudo... You probably don't even know who Joe Hurley is do you? Phone Post 3.0
Wow, I didn't watch MMA when it first started, I must not know what I'm talking about! You know everything, I should've just agreed with you since you've been watching for a long time!

I never said it was bad to be an Andy fan, but give Weidman his credit. He beat Anderson, Anderson will always be one of the greatest fighter to breathe, pat present and future. No one will ever take that away from him, but he got beat by Chris, twice. Chris is the champion now, accept it. Phone Post 3.0

Do you guys feel stupid and hurry back to erase your posts when you make these kind of predictions and they don't pan out?

I'm not on the Weidman bandwagon yet either...but I COULD be. I didn't like TJ Dillashaw when he first emerged, but I surprisingly found myself starting to root for him.

And I'm sure all of you Weidman "bandwagoners" were on that train ever since you saw him plodding around with Maia, right? You just knew he was destined to dethrone Anderson?

There are plenty of interesting contenders.

Hell, Mousasi bested Munoz as good or better than did Weidman when Munoz was the man off whom he earned HIS title shot? The guy beat Mark Hunt in less than a round.

Rockhold, Romero, Kennedy...

My favorite is this myth that Vitor only reemerged due to TRT. No, he reemerged when he flattened out the man many considered to be the best middleweight outside the UFC at the time - Matt Lindland (yes, believe it or not) - and he's been adding to his arsenal and looking better ever since. TRT may make you stronger and faster, but it sure as hell doesn't make you smarter and more technical. Noone knows how he's going to look yet other than those who train with him.

And Machida will be back. I will say this though: he needs to keep evolving, because some time ago he got content throwing the same left straight, looping right hook, left kick, and left knee that we've all seen at least a hundred times. It wasn't so long ago that he had never even lost a ROUND.
7/6/14 7:15 AM
Don Silvio

MMA Promoter1 - 
ChuteBoxYouUp - "ALL divisions are significantly better now than they were five, ten years ago"

IMO The LHW division five years ago was better then it is now (certainly was more stacked with prime opponents back then)

The MW division was so weak when Anderson was champ that the division had no where to go but up

The MW Division was perceived weak because Anderson had cleared it out. The same fighters that were at MW during Anderson's reign are still in the same MW division you're now calling strong. What is it?

BINGO
7/6/14 7:33 AM
JoeHurley
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just two days ago I was reading a thread where people were saying that if Machida beats Weidman then he would be a HOF lock as a two time champion and perhaps GOAT since he would have beaten 7 or 8 former UFC champs.  Weidman beats him and immediately it's nothing special beating a 36 year old Machida.  LOL!  Gotta love the UG.

7/6/14 7:33 AM
Don Silvio

Uh huh

So you're telling me you'd take 5-year-ago Machida, Shogun, Forrest, Rampage, Lil Nog, Hendo, Bonnar and one-dimensional-Rashad - why don't we add a few more from the couple years before that too - Jardine, Wanderlai, Thiago Silva, and Luis Cane....Sokoudjou!!!!

over....

Jon Jones, Gustaffson, Anthony Johnson, improved Rashad, Manuwa, Texeira, Davis, Cavalcante....hell, the other half of the list is the same damn people

yeah okay

and you picked the two divisions perceived to be the weakest due to insanely dominant champions to boot; how convenient for your argument...straw man
7/6/14 7:52 AM
Don Silvio

Kinkle - "Just not sure how winning a decision over a 36yo Machida is quality."

And what is Anderson's biggest win???? A 37yo Dan Henderson????

Did you just start watching MMA last year?

RICH FRANKLIN was a fairly dominant champion before Anderson was brought in; he was destroyed; it wasn't even relatively close!

Afterward, Henderson knocked Bisping out so bad, I don't think he's ever been the same; went on to become the Strikeforce LHW champ; beat Fedor...the guy is STILL ranked high

He took all comers; moved up and made the former LHW champ look like he had chosen the wrong career; Maia was on a tear at that time...Silva was bored; Vitor/Sonnen on super cocktails...both beat. Exactly who was it you think was so great that he was trying to avoid? Liddell wanted the fight, but was told he was insane for even asking. TBH, at the time, Silva could have been LHW champ as well (Shogun was asked about the potential, and was quoted as saying it would be the greatest test he would ever take), but he and Machida had agreed to do separate divisions.

Silva is one of the reasons there is such better competition now. Your favorite fighter a couple years from now? Silva was probably who HE was inspired by.

You make it sound like everything exists in a vacuum; like no one from the past had anything to do with shaping the outcome of what is emerging today. It's not only false, it's stupid.
7/6/14 8:04 AM
JoeHurley
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classic case of the problem that comes with following the greats.

Weidman will probably never get his full credit because he is following one of the greatest.  Even though he beat Silva twice people will choose denial and discredit those wins with "anderson was clowning around" and ""fluke injury isn't a legit win".  Those wins are huge for Weidman's career, but they will also be why he will always be compared to Silva and come up lacking in people's eyes no matter who he beats. he will never get a fair shake and it will be like in Bassketball where nobody is viewed as being as good as Jordan despite the fact Jordan is long retired and there is no reason to not appreciate the current players and judge them on their individual merits and current competition.  The Weidman situation is especially unfair because he beat Anderson TWICE, but will still never be as good as him in many fan's eyes, because of their bias. 

7/6/14 8:13 AM
savagetruth

Guys slamming silva now are stupid the guy was the best champ ever Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 8:22 AM
VinegarStrokes
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bayboy925 - Are you really calling the 2nd fight with Anderson a win? Phone Post 3.0
Yes. He won give it up already. If he doesn't check the kick silva doesn't break his leg. He trained specifically to check them. Freak injury sure. But he was in control of that fight before and he won. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 8:34 AM
Og-Wan Kenobi
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Defeating Silva TWICE...now Machida and we all know he will beat up post TRT Vitor then defeats Jacare..... That's a lot more impressive that Patrick Cote, Nate Marquette, and rich Franklin. ...... Guy on another level !!!!!! Realize and Respect !!
pretty sure Silva went up a weight class to beat prime TRT Vitor. Even if Wideman K/Os him it's still not as good as Silvas win over him. Jacare is on a tear now, but don't pretend like beating him makes someone a GOAT. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.