UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Weidman defeats vitor and Jacare-Goat(mw)

7/6/14 8:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Og-Wan Kenobi
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ just remembered that fight was @ MW but is was still Vitor on the Juice Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 8:39 AM
ThickS0lid N Right
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TexDeuce - No Phone Post 3.0
No Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 8:54 AM
FreightTrain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/14 8:55 AM
MMA Promoter1 - 
ChuteBoxYouUp - "ALL divisions are significantly better now than they were five, ten years ago"

IMO The LHW division five years ago was better then it is now (certainly was more stacked with prime opponents back then)

The MW division was so weak when Anderson was champ that the division had no where to go but up

Its like, of course it got better. It was shit before

The MW Division was perceived weak because Anderson had cleared it out. The same fighters that were at MW during Anderson's reign are still in the same MW division you're now calling strong. What is it?

Not only did he clear the division, he could have his own highlight reel.

Some of his finishes didnt even look "real".

And he did this when he was in his mid to late 30s.

Silva went undefeated for nearly 7 years defending the title 14 times.

Whats the excuse now? His opponents "sucked"... Sigh.

Before the GOAT label can be legitimately mentioned with the name Weidman, he has to prove himself over the next few years.

7/6/14 9:17 AM
Cameron0000

Disagree needs a few more wins after that. Beating Jones would definitely confirm that talk Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 9:27 AM
DaleSonnen

Brasco - Deal with haters !!! You all wanna deny Weidman his due after beating silva Twice ..... He gets thru that gauntlet and he is the GOAT !!! Sorry
I love Weidman, and I think hes going to be great, but its going to take alot more to make him the GOAT. Someday im sure, just too soon Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 9:33 AM
Slobonmynog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's just evolution.

The fighters fighting now are the best fighters of all time.

Anderson was the greatest fighter of his generation and still goat at mw now but I do believe that Weidman is better and will continue to prove this.

Jones is the greatest lhw ever / Cain at hw. The talent pools in the divisions are much deeper than they ever were across the board. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 9:50 AM
XcessiveZ

He must defeat Pablo on concrete then he can be deemed the GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 9:55 AM
Smith1234
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman is already one of the best MWs of all time.

The best? A lot more wood to chop but could be.

I'm concerned about his longevity if he is having knee surgeries and bad camps now in his prime. I hope he is and stays healthy and makes a run at it. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:04 AM
macblack
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bayboy925 - Are you really calling the 2nd fight with Anderson a win? Phone Post 3.0
Wasn't a loss Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:13 AM
rockwell
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Chuteboxyouup. Interesting story... In June 2009 I competed in adcc North American trials and got to the finals against some ex d-1 monster purple belt. I paid no attention, did not know his name. Needless to say it wa Weidman. I was the bigger name and nobody knew about him but his own gym. He beat me pretty good. Worse defeat I ever had and I could tell he was on another level...it gets better.. I was 5-1 mma with one cut loss at time and a top prospect. We sat at the medal podium and talked about Anderson Silva !!!! And how his goal was to defeat him and he really thought he could.... I believed it as well. If I did, a younger and taller all American sure did. This was was near time Travis lutter took silva down and nearly beat him so that was the blueprint as Chael sonnen showed. He actually put thè video of out grappling match on his website which was a compliment to me showing he beat a " highly regarded" guy. That's how I knew he was " that good" !!!
There is nothing else like learning first hand.

VTFU for a great story. Thanks for sharing. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:17 AM
JoeHurley
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/14 10:18 AM
When Silva fought Cote and got the win after Cote's knee gave out due to a pre existing injury I didn't see any Silva fans discounting it as a fluke or a draw. It was counted as a win and added to his legendary streak. Weidman caused the fight ending injury. It's a legit win for Weidman but emotions, favoritism and double standards come into play when fans talk about their favorite fighter. The fact that Silva himself says Weidman beat him should settle any debate but oh well.
7/6/14 10:20 AM
SgtJustinTeplitz
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - I don't know if that's enough to be GOAT, but that is a crazy Brazilian gauntlet. Phone Post 3.0

I laughed !!!
BrandonWaltonMusic

Larry Holmes destroyed Ali....Not the Goat.

He has to clean the division multiple times over, move up in weight and destroy bigger guys more than once.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HE HAS TO HOLD THE RECORDS FOR STREAK AND TITLE DEFENSES.
Entreri

He would be in contention for sure.

Nobody else at 185 can give him a fight like Machida did.

Even TRT Vitor, aside from a quick 1 round KO would lose to Weidman.
7/6/14 10:21 AM
orcus

Seats Taken - I don't know if that's enough to be GOAT, but that is a crazy Brazilian gauntlet. Phone Post 3.0

Never occurred to me before how Brazilian-heavy middleweight is.
7/6/14 10:24 AM
SgtJustinTeplitz
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley - 

Just two days ago I was reading a thread where people were saying that if Machida beats Weidman then he would be a HOF lock as a two time champion and perhaps GOAT since he would have beaten 7 or 8 former UFC champs.  Weidman beats him and immediately it's nothing special beating a 36 year old Machida.  LOL!  Gotta love the UG.

That was then; this is now ;)
7/6/14 10:30 AM
Smith1234
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley - When Silva fought Cote and got the win after Cote's knee gave out due to a pre existing injury I didn't see any Silva fans discounting it as a fluke or a draw. It was counted as a win and added to his legendary streak. Weidman caused the fight ending injury. It's a legit win for Weidman but emotions, favoritism and double standards come into play when fans talk about their favorite fighter. The fact that Silva himself says Weidman beat him should settle any debate but oh well.
I could maybe get the fluke argument if Chris was losing when the finishes happened.

But he won every second of both fights. In the first fight he rocked Andy badly on the ground and that had Andy desperate to keep it standing. He felt the strength and ground and pound and was scared.

Second fight too - Andy was getting beaten handily before the end. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:46 AM
CNDMMAFan

I will give weidman this, if he can survive, and not just jacare and vitor, he is facing much stiffer competition that silva was at the time. Lets not forget that AS also jumped weight classes and out classed bigger fighters. GOAT at MW, yet to be seen. But he is facing a much more talent stacked division now.
7/6/14 10:46 AM
The Dean of Cuisine
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do be quiet Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:53 AM
Kneeblock
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Quality vs quaninty

How many former UFC champs did silva beat ? Cause weidman has beaten two already .... I think they are even now

Franklin, Belfort and Griffen. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:54 AM
Kneeblock
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also Hendo if you count his UFC 17 tournament win. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 10:57 AM
DSoV
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Middleweight division is looking pretty damn exciting right now.

Thinking of all the potential challengers for Weidman.

You got Vitor, Souza and even Rockhold making his comeback, but I wouldn't forget about CB Dolloway or even Yoel Romero who has looked very impressive in all of his fights so far, and the guy is on a 4 fight win streak I think, his style matches up pretty good with Weidman as well.

Man the MW division is stacked.
7/6/14 11:12 AM
Gomrad

Don Silvio -
ChuteBoxYouUp - "ALL divisions are significantly better now than they were five, ten years ago"

IMO The LHW division five years ago was better then it is now (certainly was more stacked with prime opponents back then)

The MW division was so weak when Anderson was champ that the division had no where to go but up

Its like, of course it got better. It was shit before

Uh huh

So you're telling me you'd take 5-year-ago Machida, Shogun, Forrest, Rampage, Lil Nog, Hendo, Bonnar and one-dimensional-Rashad - why don't we add a few more from the couple years before that too - Jardine, Wanderlai, Thiago Silva, and Luis Cane....Sokoudjou!!!!

over....

Jon Jones, Gustaffson, Anthony Johnson, improved Rashad, Manuwa, Texeira, Davis, Cavalcante....hell, the other half of the list is the same damn people

yeah okay

and you picked the two divisions perceived to be the weakest due to insanely dominant champions to boot; how convenient for your argument...straw man
You forgot DC Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 11:18 AM
ramaham

If he finishes them, very possible... Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 11:22 AM
graciesrule

Vitor & Rockhold will lose but Jacare will submit him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.