UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Weidman defeats vitor and Jacare-Goat(mw)

7/6/14 11:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
heavyweightmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Tiger Man - GOAT gets thrown around very carelessly on here Phone Post 3.0

This. I'm not sure that people realize the significance of that title.
7/7/14 12:40 AM
bruised
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Chuteboxyouup. Interesting story... In June 2009 I competed in adcc North American trials and got to the finals against some ex d-1 monster purple belt. I paid no attention, did not know his name. Needless to say it wa Weidman. I was the bigger name and nobody knew about him but his own gym. He beat me pretty good. Worse defeat I ever had and I could tell he was on another level...it gets better.. I was 5-1 mma with one cut loss at time and a top prospect. We sat at the medal podium and talked about Anderson Silva !!!! And how his goal was to defeat him and he really thought he could.... I believed it as well. If I did, a younger and taller all American sure did. This was was near time Travis lutter took silva down and nearly beat him so that was the blueprint as Chael sonnen showed. He actually put thè video of out grappling match on his website which was a compliment to me showing he beat a " highly regarded" guy. That's how I knew he was " that good" !!!
Did you know Chute? Sorry if I'm off base, but it seemed a little contrived that a poster that was a member only a week or two was asking questions going back a year... Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 12:54 AM
The Man With No Screen Name
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sakuraba is out there somewhere......

.....laughing. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 4:07 AM
thebasher

JoeHurley - When Silva fought Cote and got the win after Cote's knee gave out due to a pre existing injury I didn't see any Silva fans discounting it as a fluke or a draw. It was counted as a win and added to his legendary streak. Weidman caused the fight ending injury. It's a legit win for Weidman but emotions, favoritism and double standards come into play when fans talk about their favorite fighter. The fact that Silva himself says Weidman beat him should settle any debate but oh well.
That happened in round 3.....

You can't compare the 2 and chris can't really claim that as a win Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 4:11 AM
Lick Boners

If he beats those guys that'll be way more impressive than anything Silva did. We can line up lesser guys like Lutter, Cote, Leites against Weidman and pad his record if that's what Silva fans need to accept reality
7/7/14 7:46 AM
jTheHybridwolff
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreightTrain - Actually, Silva is the GOAT.

Silva went undefeated for almost 7 years defending the title 14 times maintaining a 16 fight win streak.

Lets at-least wait a couple of years to see if Weidman can come close to the legend.
This! Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:12 AM
Bisping decisioned my SN

jTheHybridwolff -
FreightTrain - Actually, Silva is the GOAT.

Silva went undefeated for almost 7 years defending the title 14 times maintaining a 16 fight win streak.

Lets at-least wait a couple of years to see if Weidman can come close to the legend.
This! Phone Post 3.0
Times will change and competition will only increase. So we may never see runs like that again who knows. The argument would be quality over quantity Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:20 AM
2 Slimy Lizards

Anderson KO'D Vitor (spectacularly).

Big Weidman fan but he has a ways to go. Machida was a very nice feather in his cap, Lyoto is still in his prime...Dude ran through Munoz and Mousasi Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:48 AM
SolracoMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brasco - Quality vs quaninty

How many former UFC champs did silva beat ? Cause weidman has beaten two already .... I think they are even now
Lol. Franklin x2, Hendo, Griffin, Vitor. And lets not forget how he finished all of those.

Wideman has a decision against Machida and a leg break against Anderson hold your horses bro. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:00 AM
BOLIVIANonepuchKO
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

come on man!!!Anderson beat a PRIME HENDERSON..PRIME.VITOR BELFORT..DESTROYED A PRIME RICH FRANKLIN..DESTROYED THE BEST FORREST GRIFFIN..Submitted and KOed chael.. and wrecked a prime leben(who was 5-0 at the time and was a top contender) and absolutly domanated at will every other opponent the ufc.gave him.plus his run in pride and other organizations...went undefeated for 7 years ...plus the fashion and the way he finished fights...he always gave us something new and awsome to talk about for days and months after every fight..and the way he was ..thats what made him the GOAT...THATS WHY IS AND WILL BE FOR A LONG LONG TIME THE GOAT.. i respect wiedman..but he is far from being the goat my friends Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:03 AM
eljamaiquino

How many former UFC champs did silva beat ? Cause weidman has beaten two already .... I think they are even now
Lol. Dudes like you are why Weidman can't buy fans. Why do you have to crap on another guy to boost yours. Chris has fought 2 guys in 2 years. Calm your ass down.... Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:44 AM
2 Slimy Lizards

eljamaiquino -

Lol. Dudes like you are why Weidman can't buy fans. Why do you have to crap on another guy to boost yours. Chris has fought 2 guys in 2 years. Calm your ass down.... Phone Post 3.0
Actually, Anderson beat 3 former ufc champs.

Franklin, Vitor and Forrest. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:08 AM
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA

I competed against the guy so even if he only defends the belt half as many times, never steps up a weight class, and never had near the HL reel of finishes he is the GOAT!!!! Deal with it.

-brasco Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:14 AM
Lroberto

Beating the goat doesn't make you the goat. He's could get there eventually but he's still got a ways to go. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:25 AM
Smokemonster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um no. First he has to have a 7 year win streak with incredible matrix style knock outs. Hes a great fighter but hes no GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:31 AM
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA

2 Slimy Lizards -
eljamaiquino -

Actually, Anderson beat 3 former ufc champs.

Franklin, Vitor and Forrest. Phone Post 3.0
And a pride 2 division champion.

And the #1 ranked WW in the world at the time.

He has more top 10 wins that Chris has fights... Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:43 AM
OGT

FreightTrain -
ChuteBoxYouUp - 
FreightTrain - Actually, Silva is the GOAT.

Silva reigned supreme of the MW division when it was the WEAKEST division in MMA history

Anderson's first official title defense was against Marquardt LMAO

Chris's has already defended against Anderson AND MACHIDA

NO comparison

Quality>>>quantity

Id be ok with people arguing that Chris has already been more impressive, or that he has started out his run FAR SUPERIOR to Andersons'

IF Chris beats Vitor, Mousasi and Jacara, which IS LIKELY THAN Chris will have already had a far superior run as MW champ...and it wont even be close

Silva didnt pick and choose his opponents, he fought whomever they put in front of him and defended his title for almost 7 years against 14 opponents, even fighting a 205lb Irvin. 

Just not sure how winning a decision over a 36yo Machida is quality.

Theres no way to be sure, but I feel comfortable in saying that Silva would probably have finished Machida in a much more decisive fashion.

Once Weidman goes undefeated for 5 years and defends say, 10 times, I'd feel comfortbale in saying that hes getting close to the GOAT.

That 36 year old machida has done some fucking amazing things lately... kind of make it sound like he fought a washed up old man when you say it like that. Machida was as game as he ever was. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 11:50 AM
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA

OGT -
FreightTrain -
ChuteBoxYouUp - 
FreightTrain - Actually, Silva is the GOAT.

Silva reigned supreme of the MW division when it was the WEAKEST division in MMA history

Anderson's first official title defense was against Marquardt LMAO

Chris's has already defended against Anderson AND MACHIDA

NO comparison

Quality>>>quantity

Id be ok with people arguing that Chris has already been more impressive, or that he has started out his run FAR SUPERIOR to Andersons'

IF Chris beats Vitor, Mousasi and Jacara, which IS LIKELY THAN Chris will have already had a far superior run as MW champ...and it wont even be close

Silva didnt pick and choose his opponents, he fought whomever they put in front of him and defended his title for almost 7 years against 14 opponents, even fighting a 205lb Irvin. 

Just not sure how winning a decision over a 36yo Machida is quality.

Theres no way to be sure, but I feel comfortable in saying that Silva would probably have finished Machida in a much more decisive fashion.

Once Weidman goes undefeated for 5 years and defends say, 10 times, I'd feel comfortbale in saying that hes getting close to the GOAT.

That 36 year old machida has done some fucking amazing things lately... kind of make it sound like he fought a washed up old man when you say it like that. Machida was as game as he ever was. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah let's not shit on Machida to downplay chris. Machida is a beast. As is anderson.

That said beating two beasts does not even come CLOSE to what Anderson accomplished.

Beat Vitor and Jacare and he is clearly second in line behind Andy. Defend a few more times after that, maybe move up a division for a couple fun foghts, and we can talk about him being the MW GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 1:40 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Captain_Underpants - 
Brigham - Ugh just no. It's all about beating people in their primes. Anderson is past his, Machida is past his, and Vitor is past his perhaps. Anderson beat everyone in the primes of their careers. Phone Post 3.0
The last 4 opponents Anderson had before he fought Weidman the first time were Vitor, Chael, Okami, and Bonnar. Anderson looked spectacular in those fights and no one was claiming that he was past his prime.

No one was saying Machida was past his prime when he moved down to MW and KOed Munoz and shut down Mousasi.

So just because they now lose to Weidman, don't use the excuse that they are past their primes because no one was saying "Wow, they're past their primes but they're still winning." Phone Post 3.0

Correct. Machida was def looking good vs Munoz and Moussasi, good enough to be in peak form. Anderson I would say may have been good enough to beat most MWs by the time he lost to Weidman, I think Weidman was just better but he was around 38 i think when he lost the first time and by KTFO, i think that made him quite a bit older over night. "Prime X" is also a grey debate but i think Weidman beat both when they were at least still or close enough to their primes.
7/8/14 1:32 AM
Kid_dynamite319

Lol this has to be a troll thread. I dont see how anyone can place weidman over anderson or even as GOAT, considering they wouldnt even post Jon Jones as GOAT. And he has accomplished a lot more than Chris.
7/8/14 2:46 AM
Average
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No.
7/8/14 2:48 AM
Average
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what I love most about stupid statements like OP:

"this guy [who is hot right now] and this guy [who is ok right now] are way better than those guys [some guys that at the time were considered top notch, but not anymore]"

lol.
7/8/14 2:57 AM
Nate_Diaz_Agent

Are you the concrete dude? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.