UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Machida had me standing up in R4

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/6/14 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
373 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least, at the end of the day, even though Machida could not pull it off, he finally let it all hang out when he needed to and in the championship rounds of a championship fight against the new king of the division and for once in a championship fight, we saw some turn around after the other guy was dominating the first half of the fight.

I do not recall another title fight where the challenger made a comeback in the later rounds?

Aldo/TKZ had some changing tide but it was kinda different knowing Aldo's foot was broken.

Gus/Jones was competitive all the way thru.

Chael was straight dominating Andy in fight 1 and then Andy came back at the very end and successfully did so.

Any other examples of the tide changing like in a title fight in the later rounds?
7/6/14 1:48 PM
Thrifty
373 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman turned it back on in rd 5 Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 1:48 PM
Kanye loves fishdicks
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks - lawler Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 1:50 PM
Wasa-B

Thrifty - Weidman turned it back on in rd 5 Phone Post 3.0

And Machida turned it back again at the end of 5 which is what made it a great fight!
xsrg95
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gave rd 4 and 5 to machida
Wasa-B

Kanye loves fishdicks - Hendricks - lawler Phone Post 3.0

Ah true! I knew I was forgetting a recent one! Yeah, i think Lawler turned it up late but Hendricks turned it back? Kinda like this fight?

Great example. That was truly a great fight and truly back and forth.
7/6/14 1:53 PM
moss_4h
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it got scary when he started dancing..
7/6/14 1:55 PM
Wasa-B

xsrg95 - gave rd 4 and 5 to machida

Have to rewatch but Weidman did sorta have mount with some light GNP but Machida may have had more "damage" in 5 yeah although i dont think his late flurry connected.
7/6/14 2:00 PM
Qannebiss
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B -

Have to rewatch but Weidman did sorta have mount with some light GNP but Machida may have had more "damage" in 5 yeah although i dont think his late flurry connected.
I gave them to Machida too. While Weidman got dominant position for a bit, he wasn't able to capitalize on it beyond advancing position. They both got good shots in, but Machida got the better of the exchanges. I had it 48-47 for Weidman. The right guy got the nod, so at least there is no controversy. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 2:03 PM
Wasa-B

Machida can at least leave his quest to win his 2nd title with his head high. He is the very to test Weidman and he showed some new things in his game at age 36.

Hats off both guys, this is what the sport is about. What these 2 guys showed in the fight and with their careers.
7/6/14 2:09 PM
Thrifty

Wasa-B -

I only have machida rd 4. All he really did in 5 was that flurry at the end. What made that awesome though was chris asking for more Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 2:32 PM
thembones
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 

Most of the late flurry missed, but the flurry started because Machida connected pretty solidly. I thought it was 48-47, though given how close the 5th was 49-46 is obviously fine as well depending on how you weighed the last punch/flurry by Machida.

Not to taint an amazing fight with judging talk since they managed to get it right, but its actually a bit scary to see how it was scored:

Marcos Rosales who had it 48-47 Weidman, actually scored the 2nd round for Machida. WTF?

Chris Lee gave Weidman a 10-8 in the 3rd. I'd have to rewatch I guess, but even though it was a dominant round by Weidman, nowhere during that round did it feel like a 10-8 to me.

Even in a fight that really only had 2 possible correct ways to score it, 2 of the judges manage to do some questionable shit.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/5312/Chris-Weidman-vs-Lyoto-Machida
7/6/14 2:50 PM
HandyDarsh
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought machida stole the fifth round with the flurry.

Damn that was a very interesting matchup and Weidman landed some real nice takedowns as well Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 2:53 PM
Mike PyleDriver
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fight. Hope to see these guys go at it again Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 2:54 PM
Wasa-B

thembones - 
Wasa-B - 

Most of the late flurry missed, but the flurry started because Machida connected pretty solidly. I thought it was 48-47, though given how close the 5th was 49-46 is obviously fine as well depending on how you weighed the last punch/flurry by Machida.

Not to taint an amazing fight with judging talk since they managed to get it right, but its actually a bit scary to see how it was scored:

Marcos Rosales who had it 48-47 Weidman, actually scored the 2nd round for Machida. WTF?

Chris Lee gave Weidman a 10-8 in the 3rd. I'd have to rewatch I guess, but even though it was a dominant round by Weidman, nowhere during that round did it feel like a 10-8 to me.

Even in a fight that really only had 2 possible correct ways to score it, 2 of the judges manage to do some questionable shit.

Yes! WTF? There was a thread asking how the hell Weidman got 49-45 i think so it must have been a 10-8 somewhere? Scary as shit this judging in MMA.
7/6/14 2:57 PM
Michael Bassfenders Penis

It was the most nerve-racking fight I have seen in years. Reminded me of the good old days Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 3:35 PM
Shinsplint
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i very much enjoyed it. I think its strange but I have that nervous feeling watching Weidman fight now where I expect some of the old ultra violence. He's just dangerous everywhere and he keeps coming forward. And with Machida you are waiting for the bursts to come so there was this weird tension in the fight. It was awesome.
7/6/14 4:03 PM
Santo Amaro
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was an incredible fight. I was on the edge of my seat. First time in a long time as we have been so spoilt with MMA bouts - but that was up there with the best. Nice! Made my day watching it

7/6/14 4:09 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

Yeah it was awesome Phone Post 3.0
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

There will be a number 2. Believe that homeboy Phone Post 3.0
future_jabroni
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thembones - 
Wasa-B - 

I actually thought Machida was winning round 2 until Weidman got that take down with about 1 minute left in the round.
7/6/14 4:23 PM
StretchPlum

Definitely not a 10-8 round. I think a rematch would only be interesting to the hardcores though. If I were Weidman's coach I'd advise him not to. nothing to gain at this point.
7/6/14 4:26 PM
TheRealJoker
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - At least, at the end of the day, even though Machida could not pull it off, he finally let it all hang out when he needed to and in the championship rounds of a championship fight against the new king of the division and for once in a championship fight, we saw some turn around after the other guy was dominating the first half of the fight.

I do not recall another title fight where the challenger made a comeback in the later rounds?

Aldo/TKZ had some changing tide but it was kinda different knowing Aldo's foot was broken.

Gus/Jones was competitive all the way thru.

Chael was straight dominating Andy in fight 1 and then Andy came back at the very end and successfully did so.

Any other examples of the tide changing like in a title fight in the later rounds?
Hominick/Aldo Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 4:34 PM
wiggum
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a great fight. Two excellent fighters showing why they are world class. Similar to Shogun Machida 1.

At the end of the day, this was Weidman clearly defeating a great opponent in a competitive - though never in question - fight. Not as competitive as Jones Gus (which I thought Jones clearly won, despite it being a battle) but just as high level.

Props to both guys.
7/6/14 4:41 PM
chilz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Machida can at least leave his quest to win his 2nd title with his head high. He is the very to test Weidman and he showed some new things in his game at age 36.

Hats off both guys, this is what the sport is about. What these 2 guys showed in the fight and with their careers.
Agreed...I haven't gotten that excited during a fight since the 5th round of Anderson-Chael 1. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.