UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Machida had me standing up in R4

7/6/14 4:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyJ
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was up going wild in 4 and 5, first time that's happened for ages, great to see Machida go all out like that if only he'd of had a chance when he had a bit more left in the tank I'm sure he could have put him away.

Also I thought it was weird he stopped throwing those body kicks it looked like they were really getting to Weidman.

Anyway great fight hope they do it again. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 4:50 PM
mrk529
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - At least, at the end of the day, even though Machida could not pull it off, he finally let it all hang out when he needed to and in the championship rounds of a championship fight against the new king of the division and for once in a championship fight, we saw some turn around after the other guy was dominating the first half of the fight.

I do not recall another title fight where the challenger made a comeback in the later rounds?

Aldo/TKZ had some changing tide but it was kinda different knowing Aldo's foot was broken.

Gus/Jones was competitive all the way thru.

Chael was straight dominating Andy in fight 1 and then Andy came back at the very end and successfully did so.

Any other examples of the tide changing like in a title fight in the later rounds?
Aldo/Edgar Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 4:51 PM
PUBLICnoose

My dad started yelling at the TV fucking finish him. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 4:53 PM
allforroy
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Bassfenders Penis - It was the most nerve-racking fight I have seen in years. Reminded me of the good old days Phone Post 3.0
Yes! Great fight, great fighters. Weidman is a natural and Lyoto will always be my favorite. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 5:05 PM
R00STER
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was awesome to see Machida get so aggressive/offensive and stay in the pocket when the fight was on the line. Its not his style but he went for it which was cool. I'd love that guy more than anyone probably if he did that just a little more often. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/14 6:23 PM
Tru Technique
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R00STER - It was awesome to see Machida get so aggressive/offensive and stay in the pocket when the fight was on the line. Its not his style but he went for it which was cool. I'd love that guy more than anyone probably if he did that just a little more often. Phone Post 3.0

I honestly think it would be a good move for him to do that more often. I guess it would depend on his opponent but a more offensive Machida is fun to watch.
7/7/14 12:20 AM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another great feat was that despite being the smaller, more beat up guy on his back vs a wrestler like weidman, machida got out of both mount and back mount and got back up.at the very end of the fight and then let it all hang w 30 seconds to go
7/7/14 12:21 AM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PUBLICnoose - My dad started yelling at the TV fucking finish him. Phone Post 3.0

Ha sweet!
7/7/14 12:33 AM
The Power Double
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing, captivating fight. Weidman definitely had his hands full with Machida's style, but the champ was too composed, too tough and too good.

When Lyoto threw that weird lead uppercut/straight combo early in the fourth you know he wasn't going to die wondering. And that's all you can ask.

Both guys looked skillful as fuck, both guys had great defense and both guys ate a few big shots. Would love too see a rematch one day Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 12:40 AM
Ray Cappa

Thrifty -
Wasa-B -
xsrg95 - gave rd 4 and 5 to machida

Have to rewatch but Weidman did sorta have mount with some light GNP but Machida may have had more "damage" in 5 yeah although i dont think his late flurry connected.
I only have machida rd 4. All he really did in 5 was that flurry at the end. What made that awesome though was chris asking for more Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 1:28 PM
Wasa-B

Yeah, just rewatched last night and from what i remember, Machida starts out good but Weidman takes over with the better shots and then gets the td to mount, Machida rolls out and eventually gets out. Weidman controlled that sequence for about a minute, 30 seconds left, Machida throws the last flurry. I am not sure how many strikes really connected though obviously, he was winning there. I think R5 to Weidman is fair though Id have to see how many shots Machida scored in the early part of the round but I think Weidman took it. So i guess 4-1 Weidman was the correct score.

1 judge gave Weidman a 10-8 for R3 and 1 gave Machida R2. Machida actually did start opening up more in R2 though i dont think he really connected flush and then Weidman got the td, I think Weidman should still have taken the round. No way in hell R3 was a 10-8 though. UFC judging is still bonkers.
7/7/14 1:55 PM
orcus

A 10-8 for Weidman in any round of that fight is absolutely insane given how usually the judges, including these same ones, flat-out refuse to give anything but a 10-9 unless a guy is almost killed in the ring. And not even then, usually.
7/7/14 4:52 PM
Billyz
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great fight and wish Machida had been a bit more aggressive in rd 1-3 to match Weidmans pressure. I think the body kicks slowed down the champ and caused the seeming slow down.

Weidman won it handidly but think rd 4 and 5 were definitely Machida's

Great fight all around.

I was jumping up as well during rd 4 not necessarily because I wanted Machida to win but rather it was an impressive turnaround and you could feel the shifting of momentum.

Fights like these are what make me a fan
7/7/14 5:04 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very exciting fight.

After the 3rd I never expected the Dragon to stage a comeback.

I think he surprised everone in the 4th round and if he was able to get the KO, it would have gone down as one of the best fights eva.

As a Weidman fan, I was happy to hear the final bell.

7/7/14 5:19 PM
mdmrules

It was strange, but I came away from this one feeling like Weidman clearly won the fight, but Machida may have stolen 3 rounds... if that makes any sense.

For those denying a possible round 2 for Machida, I do recall 2 flush left hands landing. Weidman walked right through them, but there wasn't much else to grab on to in the round. The ground control Weidman had was short, pretty harmless, and Machida escaped unscathed.

I think what people are having trouble with is that the rounds Weidman won he busted Machida up, and the ones Machida possibly won he only eked out. Oh that and every time Weidman threw a strike the broadcast team was blowing a gasket, so there's that.
7/7/14 6:52 PM
Wasa-B

Yes, ive rewatched it and i think R 2 and 5 were close actually but Weidman i think still won them both.

Most writers (MMAdecision) almost all scored it 4-1 save for 2 writers who scored it 3-2.

R2 i think i will need to rewatch however, Machida actually DID start to open up in R2 but didnt land flush enough and then Weidman also got a td near the end of the round. So it wasnt as if Machida waited until R4 to do anything, Weidman kept him off his riddum.

R5 i think Weidman may have scored the better blows in the middle of the round, then got the td, then passed to mount without full control though and Machida rolled out and eventually up. And then had the flurry at the end, im not sure he really connected with it though but it was a close round.
7/7/14 7:07 PM
StocktonStickerSlap

Jumped outta my seat in the fourth. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 7:13 PM
D241

Wasa-B - At least, at the end of the day, even though Machida could not pull it off, he finally let it all hang out when he needed to and in the championship rounds of a championship fight against the new king of the division and for once in a championship fight, we saw some turn around after the other guy was dominating the first half of the fight.

I do not recall another title fight where the challenger made a comeback in the later rounds?

Aldo/TKZ had some changing tide but it was kinda different knowing Aldo's foot was broken.

Chael was straight dominating Andy in fight 1 and then Andy came back at the very end and successfully did so.

Any other examples of the tide changing like in a title fight in the later rounds?

You know I think very highly of Machida's skills, highly of his personalitly, highly of his mystique, and I think highly of his credentials. I don't think highly of his consistency.

That being said, I disagree with "he finally let it all hang out when he needed to"

No he didn't.

Rounds 1-3, he was too timid. We've seen it before, mostly timid thoughout an entire fight.

This fight, he was timid, SHOULD'VE gone for it earlier, but didn't, and lost.  I think he won rounds 4 and 5, I think he was capable of still winning the fight after the final bell, which is why I think that fight should've been a draw.

It was a good fight. Proved just about everything I've been saying about him. He actually CAN take a punch. It is OK for him to put himself in danger, and he is capable of hurting any fighter in front of him.

7/7/14 7:19 PM
Got MMAlk

In the middle of cooking right now, so didn't read the whole thread. If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd say hendo shogun fight 1. Shogun was putting it on hendo in round 5, but thats kinda a jones/gus example where the whole fight was just a great back and forth battle too. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:37 PM
Wasa-B

D241 - 
Wasa-B - At least, at the end of the day, even though Machida could not pull it off, he finally let it all hang out when he needed to and in the championship rounds of a championship fight against the new king of the division and for once in a championship fight, we saw some turn around after the other guy was dominating the first half of the fight.

You know I think very highly of Machida's skills, highly of his personalitly, highly of his mystique, and I think highly of his credentials. I don't think highly of his consistency.

That being said, I disagree with "he finally let it all hang out when he needed to"

No he didn't.

Rounds 1-3, he was too timid. We've seen it before, mostly timid thoughout an entire fight.

This fight, he was timid, SHOULD'VE gone for it earlier, but didn't, and lost.  I think he won rounds 4 and 5, I think he was capable of still winning the fight after the final bell, which is why I think that fight should've been a draw.

It was a good fight. Proved just about everything I've been saying about him. He actually CAN take a punch. It is OK for him to put himself in danger, and he is capable of hurting any fighter in front of him.

The time to let it all hang was post-R3. Yes, he could have "opened up" earlier but you don't really let it all hang in R2 or 3.

Also...............many people seem to be missing this but Machida did start opening up and even landing in R2. He just didn't land flush and then Weidman got a td at the end of the round.

Yes, he still could have turned it up earlier but Weidman was still making it difficult for him and Machida simply is not a brawler but as a veteran, I think he should have also recognized the fight was slipping away.

But rewatch R2.
7/7/14 10:44 PM
D241

Edited: 07/07/14 10:44 PM

There's a difference between opening up more and going all out.

7/7/14 11:32 PM
Wasa-B

Edited: 07/07/14 11:33 PM
Hence "The time to let it all hang was post-R3. Yes, he could have "opened up" earlier but you don't really let it all hang in R2 or 3. "

Also just rewatched r2, it was pretty even over 4 minutes up to the td. So machida wasn't just sitting back reading weidman for 3 rounds. Weidman was just better
7/8/14 4:52 AM
EKPOGI
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito Frank

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.