UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ should come back at 145 one more time

7/7/14 9:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddieBravo
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, West Hollywood, CA

That crazy strategy should retire not BJ.

Kill the tip toe boxing stance.

Kill the feet on hips guard.

Kill the flat on the back defensive butterfly guard.

35 is not old. He's in amazing shape. He didn't lose because his body is breaking down. He lost the way he did because of that strange strategy. The whole world was confused.

He should stay at 145, and fight a couple of mid level guys to get his confidence back and I truly believe, with the correct/proper training camps, he can still beat some of the best at 145.

And of course I would recommend an offensive clinching guard when on his back. Not one arm bar, Oma plata, Gogo plata, or triangle attempt by BJ. Vitor went after Jones off his back, Pettis went after Benson, Anderson went after Chael, even Tito went after Machida off his back, there's no reason BJ can't attack off his back.

Just my opinion, I've never done MMA so what do I know, I could be way off. These are just my thoughts, thank you for taking the time to read this :-) Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:24 PM
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep.
7/7/14 9:26 PM
Jason
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
I think he needs to be OK with taking some mid level competition. He seems to only want to fight beast to prove something to himself. Phone Post 3.0
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Powerful Eddie Bravo. Phone Post 3.0
FatsMcGee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see it Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:27 PM
CLINT NJHC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disagree, BJ is painfully slow for this division and admitted his heart isn't in it anymore. His age doesn't matter, his time in the game does and he's been getting hit in the head for a long time now. Regardless, if a fighter's heart isn't in it anymore they're just risking their health. BJ made the right call, time to ride off into the sunset and move on to bigger and better things.
Samoa
560 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respectfully.......I 100% disagree. He doesn't want to fight; that means everything. I don't think there was anything technical about his loss; he simply has no fire left. Phone Post 3.0
civ77
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah that fight was so weird.
7/7/14 9:28 PM
Winston Wolf
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

id have to disagree he cant keep up the pace and be effective and you have to give Edger credit for nullifying BJ.But BJ was a shell of his former self and hope he retires
7/7/14 9:28 PM
BlueDream

As one of the biggest fans of Baby Jay. NOOOO!

He said at the post fight presser he wasn't as hungry as the top guys. That with his unwillingness to change out his camp or corner. I can't stand to see BJ take another beating.

Now You vs BJ in a No Gi BJJ match! That'd I'd like to see.
7/7/14 9:32 PM
MdGeist

I would have really liked to see a BJ/ Gomi rematch at 155

If he comes back, that is the fight they should make. Especially if Gomi losses to Jury. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:36 PM
Meatgrinder
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

I actually didn't get chance to see this latest fight, but....

haven't seen BJ use bjj as a weapon in a long time... First of all, when was the last time he worked from the top position? He's only using the ground game when he's on bottom. in BJ/Edgar 1 I think BJ almost got mount when Edgar escaped. It was a great escape by Edgar, but no reason for BJ to abandon any thoughts of a top ground game.  That was the last time I saw BJ on top in the ground game...That's ridiculous. 

On his bottom game... I agree. He's ony using it to buy time and catch a breather on the losing end of exchange punches and points. Someone throws a punch, he should be getting the gift wrap, etc. He too good to be just controlling space to kill time so he can have a physical and mental breather. 

I don't know if BJ could stay (or would want to stay) in the game as a mid tier gatekeeper though... I'd rather see him just do bjj at that point. 

7/7/14 9:36 PM
MARC BULGER

He should have went to AKA. He needs better stand up and better wrestling. He needs a better corner and a game planner, maybe even Greg Jackson. Phone Post
7/7/14 9:41 PM
Kirik
2019 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

As I understand it, physically he is great. Mentally he is no longer into it.

I would like to see him follow in his parents footsteps and make fortunes in real estate, provide a lot of jobs, spend a lot of time with kids.

7/7/14 9:42 PM
Steven McTowelie
496 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU

Would be nice to see. Phone Post 3.0
disbeliever
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Not having confidence or heart anymore will always hurt him, even against mid level guys IMO. He has nothing left to prove to the world, although he seems to have something to prove to himself still. I wish him the best
stillmatic
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's time to call it a day. He's gotten beat up in his last 4 fights against Fitch, Diaz, Rory and Edgar. He can't pull the trigger anymore and has slowed down significantly. We saw shades of that against Rory where he just shut down after the first round. Against Edgar, he never even got started. Part of that was the bizarre strategy implemented, but his reflexes just weren't there. He couldn't get out of the way of anything Edgar threw at him and his punches had zero snap on them.
7/7/14 9:44 PM
I Wild Each It
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to see it too, Eddie because I think you're right...that horrendous game plan lost him that fight before it even started. But I also think something else lost him that fight before it started as well...his heart and mind weren't in it. The old BJ came out talking to himself, throwing his clothes off, eager to get into the octagon and smack himself in the face a few times, before wrecking someone's shit.

Would I love for him to try his hand at 145 again? Absolutely, but ONLY if his heart is 100% in it. Over the last 24-48 hours, it's come out that BJ didn't even really train for this fight. As incompetent as Parillo is, the guy should have at least been in Hilo to work with BJ on his boxing. Maybe that would have kept him from attempting whatever that was last night. But Parillo wasn't there...he stayed in Cali and spoke to BJ on the phone. That's unbelievable to me. Here's a guy that is coming back from a 2 year lay off to prove something to himself, and he basically didn't even train for the fight. BJ used to be able to get away with that because he was just better than everyone else, but these guys now are just too good.

If BJ decided to go back to AKA or try his hand at Jacksons, I would be all for it because that would prove he's willing to make the sacrifice necessary to compete at the top level again. But if he's not willing to do that, he should just stay retired and enjoy life in Hilo.
7/7/14 9:45 PM
BuddyRevell
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/14 9:45 PM

I have to disagree, Eddie. As shown by the fight and in his interviews this weekend, BJ no longer has the mental/psychological edge he needs to keep pushing against elite UFC competition and I doubt he wants to face mid to low level competition. 

7/7/14 9:46 PM
iodio

I know everyone loves BJ Penn, but the beating Edgar was able to put on him just confirmed how our guy is not among the bests anymore. MMA has changed, and today champions are just so much better than anything we have seen in the past. It's comforting to think Fedor was the best heavyweight of all time, Chuck the greatest striker ever and BJ the best fighter from light divisions, but the truth is none of those is real: Cain is so much better than Fedor, Jones is so much better than Chuck, Edgar is just so much better than BJ Penn.
7/7/14 9:46 PM
HenryO

Edgar beat him down.

Its clear its over
7/7/14 9:48 PM
MMApurist
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that he could have put up a much better fight with a different strategy and corner, and that even less than 100% BJ Penn can beat many current fighters, however, like Fedor and several others before them, as a fan if they cannot compete at 100% , then it hurts as a fan to see anything less than them at 100%. Sorry for the longest run on sentence ever.
7/7/14 9:49 PM
MMALOGIC

Here's what BJ needs if he wants to come back:

1) PED's... lots of it.

2) Marinovich Brothers

3) Team Alpha male (for training partners)

4) Duane Bang Ludwig

Anything short of this just stay retired.

7/7/14 9:58 PM
EddieBravo
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, West Hollywood, CA
CLINT NJHC - Disagree, BJ is painfully slow for this division and admitted his heart isn't in it anymore. His age doesn't matter, his time in the game does and he's been getting hit in the head for a long time now. Regardless, if a fighter's heart isn't in it anymore they're just risking their health. BJ made the right call, time to ride off into the sunset and move on to bigger and better things.

He got down to 145, no way he couldve done that if his heart wasnt into it. 

He lost his heart after the fight in my opinion, which was lost because of a very bad strategy

7/7/14 10:01 PM
Dana Stern

Eddie is so much more eligible to speak on this then me, however from what I have seen and heard from BJ himself he seems to not have that one thing he talked about and that's heart. His heart is just not into fighting anymore. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.