UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I am the reporter who asked BJ the legacy question

7/7/14 9:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gator Choke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/14 10:08 PM
MMA Fight Radio/ NBC Radio Phoenix, Cohost/Commentator

FRAT alert.

This entire weekend was an amazing one. However, last night was fairly heartbreaking but ended with a moment I doubt I will ever forget.

Before I go any further, I will come right out and say it. I was the reporter who posed the question to BJ Penn which led to a moment being referred to as one of the saddest moments in post fight press conference history. I was choked up at it myself. I am a huge Frankie Edgar fan but BJ has long been one of my all time favorites. So as such, in the presser, I was honored to say I was there for his last fight, got to hear him tell us he was hanging em up for good and determined to ask a good question to someone I will openly admit to being a mark (stealing a classic wrestlimg term) for. So, when handed the microphone by the UFC rep, I was full of emotions. I then asked the question that first came to mind.... "What do you feel your legacy is and how do you believe you will be most remembered." When BJ put his head down after a few seconds of trying to come with his answer for the question, I felt even more saddened knowing this truly was the end of an era. Then after Dana fills in the blanks, and tells exactly what HE felt BJ's legacy was. I finished up by asking Edgar how he felt the three fights with Penn define his legacy.

Afterwards, I went over to speak with BJ. Apologized to him for bringing out the extra emotion in him with my question. He smiled at me, shook my hand, gave me a hug and thanked me for asking a "great" question and for doing my job "well."

BJ, thank you for allowing me to be part of the moment.. YOUR moment. Most of all, thank you for giving every thing you had for this great sport for so many years. Many may come and many more may go. However I guarantee you.. There's NEVER going to be another BJ Penn.
7/7/14 9:28 PM
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers.
7/7/14 9:29 PM
Doc_Watson
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was beautiful man. VU Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:30 PM
FatsMcGee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beeeeep.

Just kidding, good question man. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:35 PM
greentrousers
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't think it was your fault dude. the combination of all the questions and how bj felt is what did it. all it takes is one thought and anybody can cry like a little girl.

i used to not be such a bj penn fan. always recognized his talent but didn't really care for his arrogance and disrespect to other fighters. i see now that was one of his driving force that made him become a phenomenal fighter. he is a true icon in mma. i hope for many years of seeing bj in the mma community in any shape or form.
7/7/14 9:39 PM
P4PBOSS

That's going to be a good memory for you and all of us Bj Penn fans. Thank you. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:44 PM
NJ BJJ
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for BJ. Such a legend, such a,warrior. You will be missed but not forgotten. I hope he does metamoris or a couple seminars. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:45 PM
Steven McTowelie
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You made BJ cry you fucking dick.

J/k

(Sort of...)

:) Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:45 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What network do you work for? Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:46 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or publication rather Phone Post 3.0
buvaiser

Good job douche, you made bj penn cry.

No seriously, I think bj was in a fragile emotional state post fight. Here is a warrior who was at one time unbeatable and lived for the fight, finding out that he can't do it anymore. It's like someone finding out they'll never walk again. Fight came as natural to him as walking for us like he never knewa time when he ccouldn't beat anyone. This was the final blow.
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great question and response.

Btw, what would you consider BJ's defining moment?

7/7/14 9:47 PM
garrote
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you're the dude made my place all dusty. Thanks a lot asshole :) Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:47 PM
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buvaiser - Good job douche, you made bj penn cry.

No seriously, I think bj was in a fragile emotional state post fight. Here is a warrior who was at one time unbeatable and lived for the fight, finding out that he can't do it anymore. It's like someone finding out they'll never walk again. Fight came as natural to him as walking for us like he never knewa time when he ccouldn't beat anyone. This was the final blow.

The only douche on this thread so far is you.

Get some class.
7/7/14 9:49 PM
I Wild Each It
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumbass
7/7/14 9:49 PM
MasterofMartialArts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, fucking amazing story.

BJ will continue inspire for decades. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:50 PM
MasterofMartialArts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buvaiser - Good job douche, you made bj penn cry.

Shut the fuck up Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 9:56 PM
LetiKraker
1669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is only one douche from where I sit and OP aint it.

7/7/14 10:15 PM
Gator Choke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EvilMaster - Cheers.

Cheers friend.
7/7/14 10:20 PM
Malvert the Janitor
887 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That moment really touched me..thank you. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:21 PM
Gator Choke

Doc_Watson - That was beautiful man. VU Phone Post 3.0

Thanks Doc! Respect to you.
7/7/14 10:22 PM
Thirdeye0pen
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -

The only douche on this thread so far is you.

Get some class.
Lol. As a quadriplegic I actually did laugh at this. I honestly get what you were trying to say tho. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:24 PM
UGCTT_xxzygotexx
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool story asshole! But no, really. Cool story! I'm saddened by how he lost and his retirement. He was one of the bes.t Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 10:26 PM
TheAlchemist
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad but significant moment in MMA. Thanks Gator.
7/7/14 10:46 PM
chilz
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/14 11:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Respect to you for apologizing to BJ! It was a great question, I wish I was there to give my respect.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.