UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What made Mike Dolce so sought after & awesome?

15 days ago
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thingading
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's hardly an event now where some top tier fighter(s) doesn't talk about or thank Mike Dolce for helping them. Or a fighter who has a bad weight cut and says something like, "I guess I need to reach out to Mike Dolce."

How did he break through and what does he know that no one else seems to? Good dieting and steps to strong health are not new concepts, but Dolce has been able to somehow put them together to where he appears to be a step above everyone else, at least in the MMA world.

I know some of you have read his book and some even know him. Is his book worth reading and following his recommendations if you aren't a fighter? Where is he originally from? I believe he lived in Portland, OR for awhile, when he was part of Matt Lindland's IFL team back in the day. He was only 5-10 as a fighter, but my God he's like 88-2 and the undisputed champ in what he does now.

Seems like a great guy, too. I'm just wondering what he has done or discovered that seems to be superior to just about everyone else in the sport. There must be a reason(s) why so many guys/gals seek his guidance.
15 days ago
Longstroke
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because he doesn't count calories, he makes calories count. Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
Maldini2706
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's great at getting guys to the right weight but I wonder how much his methods affect fighters. It seemed like BJ and Thiago Alves just lost body mass. Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
VTFU
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's my understanding that he's the only one right now still getting the blue meth from Skinny Pete and Badger. Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
MMA Playwright
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

15 days ago
ABE FROMAN

Daquan did it.

15 days ago
JoeHurley
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's targeted a niche in mma fighters and focused on it.  Not a lot of nutritionists, dieticians and chefs have.  On top of that he's used effective marketing by packaging it as the "Dolce Diet" and getting clients to wear his shirts, mention his product, be seen at weigh ins and events with big name fighters and associating himself with the UFC.  He has gained recognition as the big name in his field when in reality there are many others who have more extensive credentials and work with bigger name athletes in other fields, but you have not heard of them.

And on top of that his clients (that you hear from) speak highly of his methods and results.  So it's become if you want to lose weight for a fight then you better get Mike Dolce.  Mainly because you've heard of him and don't know any other options.

Marketing is a powerful tool.  Mike has used it well.

15 days ago
Agento777

UGCTT4LIFE - Literally...the only reason is that the UFC is using him to push their UFC fit and im sure down the road we will see "UFC diet"!

Its all a very careful marketing ploy that they are paying guys to use. He offers up very generic advice that ANYONE could google and find out.

He also then makes bold claims about how he could get so and so to a certain weight. He ha almost no clue what he is doing. He has no certification to train others...if he walked into a local gym and tried to get a job based off his merit...he would be laughed out of town

So the UFC is making fighters use him, so they can promote UFC Fit?! Genius!

The UFC also made Kelvin Gastelum make weight and look better than he ever had before and the miss weight these last few times to further validate Dolce! I'm amazed at the ends they'll go to just to promote UFC fit.
15 days ago
VTFU
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Playwright -
I love this gif.

It's Dolce answering Dana's question, "Dolce, why the FUCK did you used to start every day off with 20 jumping jack's?" Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
TheKidAintMine
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who do the top amateur wrestling programs and pro boxers use? Dolce is obviously the big name for MMA guys but there have to be other guys in the other combat sports.
15 days ago
Agento777

UGCTT4LIFE - 
Agento777 - 
UGCTT4LIFE - Literally...the only reason is that the UFC is using him to push their UFC fit and im sure down the road we will see "UFC diet"!

Its all a very careful marketing ploy that they are paying guys to use. He offers up very generic advice that ANYONE could google and find out.

He also then makes bold claims about how he could get so and so to a certain weight. He ha almost no clue what he is doing. He has no certification to train others...if he walked into a local gym and tried to get a job based off his merit...he would be laughed out of town

The UFC also made Kelvin Gastelum make weight and look better than he ever had before and the miss weight these last few times to further validate Dolce! I'm amazed at the ends they'll go to just to promote UFC fit.

Way to take what I said and warp it to what you wanted to read.

Gastelum is one case, and youre a moron to think that the kid is a 170 lber. Anyone with a good set of eyes can look at him and say he is a 185er. Pure and simple, sucks for him that there isnt a weight class in the middle, but thats the sad truth.

The UFC is all about branding everything, and selling us a shitty product isnt an issue for them. Because guys like you will continue to buy it.

Dolce is a farce, and there aint no way around that. Plenty of nutriotnists out there that guys could get the same results from.

What does Gastelum going to 185 have to do with anything? The point was that he made 170 and looked good and felt good doing it, when he watched his diet and was with Dolce. He's 9-0, so I guess I'm a moron according to you, because I think he's doing alright at 170.

The UFC Fit product uses Mike Dolce but they use him because of he's made a name for himself in MMA fitness. Thus he gets paid to be a sponsor. Like Michael Jordan with Nike or any other star athlete that's used to sell products.

If guys could use plenty of other nutritionists out there, probably at a much cheaper price, then why aren't they? Maybe you should go tell them so they could save money.
15 days ago
ocbadapple

he did amazing for BJ. LOL
15 days ago
FCFBlazer

Who is the guy that the militech camp or joe Riggs used to use that Rogan called "mad scientist" of weight cutting? Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
JoeHurley
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FCFBlazer - Who is the guy that the militech camp or joe Riggs used to use that Rogan called "mad scientist" of weight cutting? Phone Post 3.0

That was Billy Rush. He passed away a few years ago.
15 days ago
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overrated. I live and die by IIFYM.
15 days ago
Big Pun
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a single word...results
15 days ago
judonoob

Whatever... the guy's systems appear to get results.
Rousey, Hendricks, etc...

In a niche market like MMA, you can have the best package all day long but if you suck... you suck and you won't get much business.
15 days ago
MasterBlasterRunsBarterTown

It's goofy bs sold to guys that would probably be making burgers or mixing drinks at starbucks. He has 1/1000th of the knowledge someone like Alan Aragon has.
15 days ago
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT4LIFE - Literally...the only reason is that the UFC is using him to push their UFC fit and im sure down the road we will see "UFC diet"!

Saying literally doesn't accentuate your point.

And even if he's not the only or best in the world at it, how can you say he has no idea what he's doing? Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
xxxxxxxx
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bought his book I didn't learn anything new it's basic message is - eat healthy stuff, limit or avoid eating unhealthy stuff.

That said, I think some of the opinions on here are pretty harsh. It's clearly easier said than done for these fighters to be on weight while still feeling good and staying injury free.

Even if Dolce basically amounts to a 'Food Babysitter' I still respect his track record and the business he's built for himself. Mans living the dream. Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
Agento777

MasterBlasterRunsBarterTown - It's goofy bs sold to guys that would probably be making burgers or mixing drinks at starbucks. He has 1/1000th of the knowledge someone like Alan Aragon has.

I disagree that it's goofy bs but I might agree about the Aragon comment. That's guys the GOAT. Guys like him and Lyle McDonald are in another league IMO.
15 days ago
BigTedBear
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You cant argue with his results Mike has found a way of getting these guys on weight I don't think I haver ever seen one of his guys miss weight. Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
onyx2002
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So to review, His clients pay him healthy sums of money, his fighters successfully cut large amounts or weight, perform well, and rave about his methods and results as compared to previous methods and people that they have used. Due to the fact that other people are more educated than him and in the face of the previously stated results he is deemed to know nothing.

Sounds like the UG alright. Fedor sucks and Andersen Silva never fought anyone who was good.
15 days ago
Ray Cappa

VTFU - It's my understanding that he's the only one right now still getting the blue meth from Skinny Pete and Badger. Phone Post 3.0
LOL! Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
Ray Cappa

UGCTT4LIFE -
Agento777 - 

Way to take what I said and warp it to what you wanted to read.

Gastelum is one case, and youre a moron to think that the kid is a 170 lber. Anyone with a good set of eyes can look at him and say he is a 185er. Pure and simple, sucks for him that there isnt a weight class in the middle, but thats the sad truth.

The UFC is all about branding everything, and selling us a shitty product isnt an issue for them. Because guys like you will continue to buy it.

Dolce is a farce, and there aint no way around that. Plenty of nutriotnists out there that guys could get the same results from.
What this guy said. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.