$540,500

Gate of $1,377,000

Buyrate of 80,000

10 years later

total payout of

$1,038,000

Gate of $4,400,000

Buyrate unknown-Definately more than 80k

Both events held at Mandalay Bay, UFC 46 had 10,700, 176 had 10,088.

14 days ago
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/08/14 10:36 PM

UFC 46 Zuffa gave the fans-

Jeff Curran vs Matt Serra

Josh Thomson vs Hermes Franca

George St Pierre vs Karo Parisyan

Lee Murray vs Jorge Rivera

Carlos Newton vs Renato Verissimo

Wes Sims vs Frank Mir

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes

Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort

But to be fair, UFC 176 gave us

*Bubba Bush vs Kevin Casey

*Luke Zachrich vs Guilherme Vasconcelos

Rob Font vs George Roop

Bruno Santos vs Chris Camozzi

Ildemar Alcantara vs Kenny Robertson

Alex Ceceres vs Urijah Faber

Russell Doane vs Marcus Brimmage

Uriah Hall vs Thiago Santos

Ronda Rousey vs Alexis Davis

Chris Wiedman vs Lyoto Machida

*you had to have Fight Pass to view this fight(which means you had to pay extra $$$$ to be a fight pass member)

14 days ago
rockafella

Could it be greed or the difference between loss and profit?
14 days ago
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Egg of Greed
14 days ago
time traveling 12er
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know which even it was when they were finally making money?
14 days ago
NatualBornTickler
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inflation? Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
LittleKang
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for excuses Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are the tickets in Vegas more than other places? the PPV buys being all that matters to them has to be the reason  they will take PPV's to vegas venues that seat half of what most Arenas do.

Also the fact they haven't done texas stadium yet is all the evidence I need to know they are weary of the response to that at this point. People can deny it all they like but a growing MMA product that once maxed out Roger's Centre in Toronto, cannot wait to try all the bigger stadium it can.

Unless Gate doesn't matter whatsoever in the equation.

14 days ago
Edgar Garcia
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think fighters get insurance back then. So it is pretty cool that they get it now. Plus guys did not get to fight as frequently. I am not siding with the UFC or anything but they do pay out a lot more in marketing and stuff too. I am curious how many people worked in the Zuffa offices back then vs now? Im sure they have created a few jobs since then outside of fighters Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
D241

Edited: 07/08/14 10:40 PM

176 gate - $4,400,000 million for 10,088 seats

Approx $436 a ticket

14 days ago
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 stars on 176 vs 10 or more @ UFC 46

seems like a good way to keep people interested
14 days ago
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edgar Garcia - I don't think fighters get insurance back then. So it is pretty cool that they get it now. Plus guys did not get to fight as frequently. I am not siding with the UFC or anything but they do pay out a lot more in marketing and stuff too. I am curious how many people worked in the Zuffa offices back then vs now? Im sure they have created a few jobs since then outside of fighters Phone Post 3.0

The frequency of fights is sort of a muddier issue though, there were less events but less injuries cancelling fights and the champs fought more, so... it's a sort of mixed bag with that.

14 days ago
inf0

Matt Serra
George St Pierre
Karo Parisyan
Carlos Newton
Frank Mir
BJ Penn
Matt Hughes
Randy Couture
Vitor Belfort
Lee Murray

with honorable mention to Verissimo and Jorge...

holy fucking shit!

14 days ago
D241

Edgar Garcia - I don't think fighters get insurance back then. So it is pretty cool that they get it now. Plus guys did not get to fight as frequently. I am not siding with the UFC or anything but they do pay out a lot more in marketing and stuff too. I am curious how many people worked in the Zuffa offices back then vs now? Im sure they have created a few jobs since then outside of fighters Phone Post 3.0

I kindly ask you to provide proof that fighters fight more frequently now compared to 10 years ago.

Unless you mean fighters in general because there's more cards, then yes, that I agree.

However personally as a fight fan, I would rather see my favorite fighters fight 4-5 times a year, compared to 1-2, maybe 3 times a year they fight now.

UFC has several divisions that have over 80+ Active Fighters!!

Instead of showing us fighters ranked 40-80, how about we get fighters 1-40 fight 1 or 2 fights more a year than what they currently do?

14 days ago
rockafella

They were not all stars then. They became stars like guys on cards today may become stars. That shit always cracks me up.
14 days ago
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 07/08/14 11:00 PM
rockafella - They were not all stars then. They became stars like guys on cards today may become stars. That shit always cracks me up.

That list was still higher profile top to bottom then than the entire prelims and most first couple of main card fights are now. Expansion of the roster as well as star power has to be increasing PROPORTIONALLY equal to the event number increase for what you said to make sense, and it isn't.

14 days ago
Mertvaya Ruka

and a lot of those office workers are earning more than the average fighter.
14 days ago
Lamonyk

How much money does the UFC pay to the venue to hold a event? Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
rockafella

ChaosOverkill - 
rockafella - They were not all stars then. They became stars like guys on cards today may become stars. That shit always cracks me up.

That list was still higher profile top to bottom then than the entire prelims and most first couple of main card fights are now. Expansion of the roster as well as star power has to be increasing PROPORTIONALLY equal to the event number increase for what you said to make sense, and it isn't.

No it wasn't. Let me guess you think people were jazzed about Hughes vs Penn? It was a great event and a lot of those guys became stars but at the time it was just another card that was second tier to Prides upcoming event. More people were shitting on the card then praising it.
14 days ago
D241

lol, yeah, people shat on that card. Yup, I specifically remember having over 10 people at my house all having a great time watching that card. 

That "shit" card lol

14 days ago
Edgar Garcia
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

I kindly ask you to provide proof that fighters fight more frequently now compared to 10 years ago.

Unless you mean fighters in general because there's more cards, then yes, that I agree.

However personally as a fight fan, I would rather see my favorite fighters fight 4-5 times a year, compared to 1-2, maybe 3 times a year they fight now.

UFC has several divisions that have over 80+ Active Fighters!!

Instead of showing us fighters ranked 40-80, how about we get fighters 1-40 fight 1 or 2 fights more a year than what they currently do?

Most of the guys from that card only fought a couple times in 2004. A few did three. And there were only 5 UFC fight cards total that year so it was nearly impossible to give everyone a fight more than 2 or 3 times a year. Now you have guys like Faber and Cowboy that will fight more than 4 times a year if they can. And that is really great for guys that want to stay busy and make money. It sucks but there are a lot of injuries and "injuries" now so they have to keep signing guys that nobody has heard of.  I talked to Seth Baczynski weeks ago that he was fighting on the Maine card and they just barely found him an opponent that would take the fight late last week and it's a newly signed guy becuase everyone was either injured or just didn't want to take the fight. I will be honest I am trying to get back into the UFC and it's very frustrating seeing all these guys that get a minor injury and won't fight when I fought with a torn bidep and messed up knee for $2000 after my Bellator fight. But I cant say if guys were really too injured to fight or not so it is not my place to assume I guess. And the game has changed so you have to be more than an exciting fighter to make real money. And that is not good for a guy like me that does not get myself out there too much. I just like to fight , make money and drink my bud light with my homies in Yuma before going back to my 9 to 5 on Monday so I'm trying to be better with marketing side of the game with a little help. I do want to thank you for making a thread to make the case for better pay for us fighters. Voted up my friend  

14 days ago
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 07/08/14 11:39 PM
rockafella - 
ChaosOverkill - 

No it wasn't. Let me guess you think people were jazzed about Hughes vs Penn? It was a great event and a lot of those guys became stars but at the time it was just another card that was second tier to Prides upcoming event. More people were shitting on the card then praising it.

I'll have to take your word on it, I don't remeber the reaction to that one specifically, I don't remember all PPV's being maxmum excitment nor would I claim it, but a 500 member roster with existing star power problems drowns potential. Also, more events and more lower tier events takes the special nature out of what they used to represent.

I see that trend in people's reaction to card lineups and I just don't see the potential in a huge chuck of the roster to ever generate excitment by virtue of the numbers just spread the UFC too thin and the competition with Pride generating hype for fighters the the UFC didn't have to create was beneficial. Now they have to do it solo and I think they are drowning themselves with the content. It's out of balance. I once thought too that more MMA was an endlessly exciting concept, but it's too much at this point, and that's my opinion on it.

14 days ago
OCMikey
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241, stirring shit up! I like it Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
zackthewop
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was at that fight. Phone Post 3.0
14 days ago
Gilkuja

D241 -

UFC 46

total payout of

$540,500

Gate of $1,377,000

Buyrate of 80,000

10 years later

total payout of

$1,038,000

Gate of $4,400,000

Buyrate unknown-Definately more than 80k

Both events held at Mandalay Bay, UFC 46 had 10,700, 176 had 10,088.

Then quit watching you tool. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.