[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
7/9/14 9:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jason's Stooge
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/9/14 9:58 AM
SnapLocally
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/9/14 9:59 AM
Jason's Stooge

gary, you should really come kill time with me at central park sometime

and by me i mean this lovely lady

7/9/14 10:00 AM
Jason's Stooge

SnapLocally - 

is that a gif of your mom waking up your kid brother? VTFU

7/9/14 10:03 AM
Jason's Stooge

iclimb513, if youre out there....a buddy of mine who lurks here topped out a scary 15+ ft v2 slab on his first or second time ever with rock shoes on. please explain to him this is pretty impressive.

7/9/14 10:04 AM
SnapLocally
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/9/14 10:13 AM
In Limbo
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Faux Sho - 

So this is like rock climbing but with little to no risk since you're not climbing real mountains?   I don't get it?

that's how i see it

and exactly why I'm interested in taking it up instead of actual rock climbing lol

7/9/14 10:25 AM
Jason's Stooge

Faux Sho - 

So this is like rock climbing but with little to no risk since you're not climbing real mountains?   I don't get it?

that's pretty much the gist, yes. the low risk factor allows you to concentrate more on the tiny nuances of hard climbing. without bouldering...climbers would be weak. a boulderer introduced chalk to climbing. every hard move that exists on rock was done on boulders first. all the hardest climbers alive right now are boulderers first and foremost...and if not, they have still spent considerable time bouldering.

and get back to me on "risk factors" when you are even 10 ft off the ground without a rope and shaking like a leaf before a storm. nevermind 20 or 30 ft.

7/9/14 10:28 AM
In Limbo
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what are the basic gear one would need to start boulderuing

7/9/14 10:30 AM
Jason's Stooge

just to start trouble...i view most traditional climbing as glorified hiking. i've climbed in street shoes up routes that these knuckleheads plug protection into. i once bouldered with a trad guy for 3 days straight...he told me at the end it was more condensed climbing than he'd done all month. at any climbing gym in the country you'll notice the difference between traditional climbers and boulderers....its like comparing crossfit to a zumba class

7/9/14 10:33 AM
Jason's Stooge

In Limbo - 

what are the basic gear one would need to start boulderuing

i started with cheap $50 shoes and a plastic bag of chalk. climbed like that for 3 months until i wanted to climb some stuff a bit higher. a cheap crashpad can be scapped up on CL for $50 or less.

7/9/14 10:34 AM
SnapLocally

7/9/14 10:39 AM
Jason's Stooge

^ you go girl!

7/9/14 10:42 AM
garythekid
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason's Stooge -

Like you actually ever come within 10 miles of the Bronx, never mind the city... Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 10:43 AM
SnapLocally

7/9/14 2:13 PM
HongKongaBong
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to a rock climbing gym in louisiana when I lived there..fell in love with it but there was absolutely nowhere to climb. Now i live in nortwestern idaho. Anyone have places to climb? I tried a face by the river but the rock was all crumbly. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 6:37 PM
Jason's Stooge

garythekid - 
Jason's Stooge -

Like you actually ever come within 10 miles of the Bronx, never mind the city... Phone Post 3.0

pfffff that shit is a tourist trap son. was speaking for the ladies that boulder in central park. theyre not used to seeing such diesel doodz. they have been fed a steady diet of gym twinks and variety is the spice of life.

hongkong -  tons of classic bouldering in idaho... castle rock, teton dam, city of rocks, riggins...google idaho bouldering, some really famous/fantastic stuff in your state. mp has quite a few listed : http://www.mountainproject.com/v/idaho/105708958

castle rock is beyond sick:

7/9/14 9:32 PM
HongKongaBong
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason's Stooge -
garythekid - 
Jason's Stooge -

pfffff that shit is a tourist trap son. was speaking for the ladies that boulder in central park. theyre not used to seeing such diesel doodz. they have been fed a steady diet of gym twinks and variety is the spice of life.

hongkong -  tons of classic bouldering in idaho... castle rock, teton dam, city of rocks, riggins...google idaho bouldering, some really famous/fantastic stuff in your state. mp has quite a few listed : http://www.mountainproject.com/v/idaho/105708958

castle rock is beyond sick:

Thanks man. You just made my day lol. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:39 AM
Jason's Stooge

and you made mine. only made this thread so someone looking for a physical outlet could become aware of what bouldering is....the purest form of climbing. moments of catharsis as you explore your threshold for pain and push past what you thought was possible. a famous mountaineer once said "bouldering is instant suffering"...and while that's true in many senses...there is no feeling like the state of kinesthetic awareness found when climbing at your body's limit. things that felt impossible yesterday feel weightless and flowing today. muscle memory is truly remarkable..was unaware how out of tune i was with my body until i started exploring its limits on rock.

and for the record....are you near twin falls? or within a day's drive?a place called the channel in idaho is on my lifetime list. could care less about international destinations. the american west is the final frontier, one of the last zones on the planet still unexplored.

7/10/14 10:43 AM
SnapLocally

7/10/14 11:07 AM
Jason's Stooge

keep em coming plz. you're bumping this fantastic thread to the top and bringing awareness of this great sport/lifestyle to the OG proper. AND making me chuckle. you are quite all right in my book

7/10/14 11:13 AM
SnapLocally

7/10/14 11:39 AM
Jason's Stooge

wouldve found that funny in 5th or 6th grade. come on son!!

7/10/14 11:41 AM
SnapLocally

7/10/14 11:41 AM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been able to play around at some cool spots over the last 5 years or so. Red Rocks in LV. Bishop CA, and Smith Rock OR. Most recently and more often at Smith Rock. I hike a lot and just to mix things up will stuff my shoes and chalk in my pack sometimes. Don't do it as much anymore as I was getting a fair amount of elbow pain and backed off a bit

Fun hobby/sport. Some things climbers can do is beyond impressive.

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.