UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> BOULDERING THREAD

7/10/14 11:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jason's Stooge
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/14 12:28 PM

supersonic - had crippling elbow tendonitis for the first year or two i was climbing. got to the point i'd be nauseous and hallucinating from the pain. voodoo floss bands changed everything for me. they are truly incredible and so so so worth the $30. like a deep tissue massage/ART without sapping your wallet. complete relief immediately after using it.

red rocks has gotta be one of the most amazing places on the planet. so jealous!

7/10/14 12:24 PM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never have seen those. Worth a look. Thanks. Red rocks is pretty damn cool. Always hit it up when I'm in LV. Last time was about 3 years ago. Summer hot as hell, hung the hell over. Rented some pads and headed out. Great day and did some decent highballing as well, for me anyway. Then headed right to a pool party a Encore.
7/10/14 2:13 PM
Jason's Stooge

^ wow. fuck that sounds amazing. must get constant traffic i wonder? that rock has some of the cleanest lines ive ever seen, period.

7/10/14 2:29 PM
Jason's Stooge

to all the clydesdales....this is not just a small man's sport

7/10/14 2:40 PM
Angle 5
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At my local climbing gym, the hottest and fittest girls are always bouldering, whereas the ones that are top roping can be attractive (not always) and reasonably fit as well, but definitely not to the same degree as the bouldering women.

It's an interesting observation, to me at least, and one that I'll continue to make in between problems.
7/10/14 6:03 PM
notsobigmike
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bouldering is the bomb - and WAY intense. P4P, bouldering is much more exhausting than traditional climbing or top roping.

Also, it's worth mentioning that non-catastrophic injuries are much more common in bouldering.
7/10/14 7:02 PM
NinjaStar
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bouldering is climbing done wearing no shirt and a beanie.

No seriously, bouldering is what got me into climbing. I love it. Also I think starting out with bouldering gets you strong for sport climbing faster than starting with top rope.

I just picked up an Organic crash pad this week. I'm itching to take it outside very soon.
7/10/14 7:29 PM
NinjaStar
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also can't wait for Red Rock season to come back. I have some unfinished business there after my first trip to Kraft boulders earlier this year.

Fuck you The Pearl! lol
7/10/14 8:24 PM
HongKongaBong
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jasons, I live like 5-6 hrs north of Twin Falls. Closer to some other landmarks but dont wanna give too much away to the detectives. You in Idaho or Washington by chance? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 8:42 PM
DreamerMMA
585 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator

TTT

7/10/14 9:14 PM
NinjaStar

What are your favorite bouldering shoes?

What is your favorite type of rock to climb, what areas?

How would you classify your climbing style? (i.e. dynamic/gymnastic, static/burly, finesse/balance, etc.)

Favorite pro climbers or those you model your climbing after/aspire to be like?

Proudest send? (link it from Mountain Project if possible)

Do you scream like Sharma (Psssattt!) or Ondra (AHHHHHHH!)?
7/10/14 9:22 PM
HongKongaBong
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone got a link or pic of good starting shoes? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 9:32 PM
NinjaStar

HongKongaBong - Anyone got a link or pic of good starting shoes? Phone Post 3.0

You are going to want to go with something relatively inexpensive as a beginner you are most likely going to have shitty footwork, which will result in the rubber wearing down quickly.

Some models you may look at are the La Sportiva Tarantula/Tarantulace, Five Ten Coyote, Mad Rock Flash, Evolv Royale. If you can find a good deal on any of the Five Ten Anasazi line, I highly recommend them for all-around climbing.

I would look at flat lasted shoes for starting out as you need to train your feet somewhat to wear aggressive down cambered shoes.

The most important thing is fit so I would recommend trying different pairs on at REI or another outdoor retailer that carries a good selection of shoes.

Climbing shoes are notoriously difficult to size as different brands, even different models from the same brand all size differently.
7/10/14 9:36 PM
HongKongaBong

NinjaStar -
HongKongaBong - Anyone got a link or pic of good starting shoes? Phone Post 3.0

You are going to want to go with something relatively inexpensive as a beginner you are most likely going to have shitty footwork, which will result in the rubber wearing down quickly.

Some models you may look at are the La Sportiva Tarantula/Tarantulace, Five Ten Coyote, Mad Rock Flash, Evolv Royale. If you can find a good deal on any of the Five Ten Anasazi line, I highly recommend them for all-around climbing.

I would look at flat lasted shoes for starting out as you need to train your feet somewhat to wear aggressive down cambered shoes.

The most important thing is fit so I would recommend trying different pairs on at REI or another outdoor retailer that carries a good selection of shoes.

Climbing shoes are notoriously difficult to size as different brands, even different models from the same brand all size differently.
Thanks. Will VU. I suppose you want them to be pretty tight? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 9:36 PM
NinjaStar

Also you want your toes to be slightly curled (not fully curled!) against the toebox when wearing your shoes for a snug fit. You want them to fit so they are not painful, but slightly uncomfortable to wear.
7/10/14 9:42 PM
NinjaStar

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend these actually:

Five Ten Anasazi Verde:
http://www.amazon.com/FiveTen-Mens-Anasazi-Climbing-Verde/dp/B008XETXM6/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1405039343&sr=1-1&keywords=five+ten+anasazi

Typically I would prefer a velcro shoe for bouldering as they are easier to get on and off, but this is such a good deal for a quality shoe that I think I would just deal with the laces.

If you scroll down and sign up where it says "Sign up For Amazon Fashion News", you should receive a 20% off coupon making these shoes about $49 plus tax if they are available for $62.65 in your size.

The only problem is you won't be able to try them on first. But if you were to buy two or three of these and return the ones that don't fit (free return shipping from Amazon) that is an option.

Good luck.
7/10/14 9:51 PM
ThePrinceThatWasPromised
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
7/10/14 9:55 PM
Amos Moses
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SnapLocally is killing me with that fart gif lately. I laugh every time I see it.

Oh and I like bouldering. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 9:57 PM
NinjaStar

This is also a good deal on a beginner shoe if you want velcro:

http://store.madrockclimbing.com/flash.aspx

This 2011 version is better than the newer Flash 2.0 IMO.
7/10/14 10:01 PM
HongKongaBong

Hell yea. I live like an hour away from some of the better sites in my state. And only a day trip to what looks to be the best. But unfortunately ill have to drive like two hours to moscow for a place to try on and buy shoes. I was looking forward to hitting Riggins this weekend. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:10 PM
iclimb513
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh Hai guiiz. What's going on in this thread? Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:11 PM
iclimb513
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NinjaStar - Also can't wait for Red Rock season to come back. I have some unfinished business there after my first trip to Kraft boulders earlier this year.

Fuck you The Pearl! lol
It's harder than it used to be. Feet are way polished now. Make sure to wait for the sun to go away too. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:16 PM
HongKongaBong

iclimb513 -
NinjaStar - Also can't wait for Red Rock season to come back. I have some unfinished business there after my first trip to Kraft boulders earlier this year.

Fuck you The Pearl! lol
It's harder than it used to be. Feet are way polished now. Make sure to wait for the sun to go away too. Phone Post 3.0
Hey dude. Any advice for the newcomer? Youre like the OG climbing sensei I think. Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:19 PM
thickfreakness
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in FL and because of this only have access to indoor facilities. Couple questions for you climbers

I'm looking to get into bouldering but not at the expense of my weight lifting and swimming. How physically demanding is it at first? Am I going to be too sore for 3-5 days after to lap swim or lift? Also, does indoor climbing translate well to outdoor climbing? (Indoor bouldering specifically)

Thanks dudes Phone Post 3.0
7/10/14 10:30 PM
NinjaStar

iclimb513 - 

Fuck you The Pearl! lol

Yes exactly. In the old guidebooks it's a V4, but that first move to the rail is a V5 on it's own. You have to do this weird drop knee at the beginning because the feet are so bad. It's especially difficult for me because I'm only 5'6" so I'm pawing at the rail, but just to reach it I'm using so much momentum so I fall.

I'm not overconfident about my abilities at all, but if I could just pull off the ground, I know I can flash the rest of that thing. Next time I will look for an intermediate hold to throw to just before the rail.

I spent so much time being pissed off at The Pearl that I didn't even make it over to the Monkey Bar boulder. Next time for sure.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.