UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Myths in Martial Arts that you believed...

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7/9/14 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KO1
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prior to UFC 1 were?

Man there were some good/funny/over the top ones! 'Death Touch'/'Hands are registered as weapons' etc are just two that instantly spring to mind.
7/9/14 4:08 PM
Ray Cappa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when I believed Royce Gracie could beat anybody - including Alexander Karelin. Ha ha ha! WTF was I thinking???? Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:11 PM
Pettis Bros POORtrait Tattoos
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought bruce lee could beat any man alive

7/9/14 4:20 PM
Col Angus
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninjas. All of it.
7/9/14 4:22 PM
staygreenponyboy
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/14 4:22 PM

The Glow
7/9/14 4:28 PM
Snake D

Don't break my nose off in my brain, bro. I don't want to die.
7/9/14 4:30 PM
Unlucky

Snake D - Don't break my nose off in my brain, bro. I don't want to die.
Hahaha yuup! definite VU Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:30 PM
Bearded Collie Herds Orca

Great thread. My dad was a marine grunt in Vietnam, and he always brought up how he was taught to break someone's nose and then push the broken nose bones into their brain to kill them. Until I really got into martial arts I thought this was the most deadly self defense technique there was. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:32 PM
ranier wolfcastle
949 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pulling a guys heart out

7/9/14 4:32 PM
TheBearStare
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a lot of people still believe you have to register as a deadly weapon if you have a black belt in martial arts.
7/9/14 4:37 PM
Gomrad
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -

pulling a guys heart out

.....and showing it to them while it's still beating right before they die! Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:38 PM
Woodster
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kata would make me good at fighting Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:40 PM
pheonix5
656 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously that stand up fighting was the real and only way to fight. That I could stop a wrestler before he could get me down. Found this out the hard way in high school well before the UFC,so I picked up wrestling my senior year. I was pretty much a Wing Chun guy and thought trapping was the shit until I got busted with a straight right in a "sparring" situation.

The closest thing to MMA before UFC was JKD and more than that, Functional JKD, which scrapped sensitivity drills like Hubud and Chi Sao and nearly all trapping techniques and focused on Catch Wrestling,Boxing and Thai Boxing and I was lucky enough to find a guy in my town that taught it.

My coach was in the inner circles of the JKD group and got his hands on a Gracie In Action VHS tape from a friend a year pior to the first UFC. Going into that first UFC we knew exactly what was gonna happen while the 99% left in the martial arts world would be shocked into reality.

7/9/14 4:42 PM
Mirko Troll Cop
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 22 year old cousin still tries to convince me that people with black belts in TKD have to register their arms as deadly weapons.. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:45 PM
Mirko Troll Cop
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mirko Troll Cop - My 22 year old cousin still tries to convince me that people with black belts in TKD have to register their arms as deadly weapons.. Phone Post 3.0
And that whole "palm striking somebody's nose into their brain" thing. He has a pretty false sense of martial arts Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:46 PM
LetiKraker
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The nose into the brain thing and breaking someones neck with a simple twist of the head or front guillotine.

7/9/14 4:48 PM
pheonix5
656 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Col Angus - Ninjas. All of it.

Lol,this. I believed Shaolion Kung Fu masters had unnatural abilities like jumping 40ft into the air, Frank Dux was the true baddest man ever and that you could KO someone using pressure points ala The George Dillman method.

7/9/14 4:53 PM
Meathorse

I think the biggest thing for me, was the realization that necks couldn't be snapped as easily as every Kung fu, or military movie made it seem. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:58 PM
LyotoBundy
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I believed them all.. until I found MMA and sparred for myself.

However, after seeing the popular 'Road House' documentary, I still believe the death claw throat rip to be the most effective fighting technique. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 4:59 PM
FanToFighter
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pressure point ko!

And holy shit! People ask me every time when they are trying to sign up at our BJJ gym if they have to register their hands as deadly weapons! Lmao! Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 5:03 PM
Non N00B
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That breaking somebody's neck was easy. That the tough guys in pro wresting were the TMA guys, not the college wrestlers. The katas, that Judo guys "go for the eyes" lol
7/9/14 5:03 PM
ApolloRD
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unlucky -
Snake D - Don't break my nose off in my brain, bro. I don't want to die.
Hahaha yuup! definite VU Phone Post 3.0
Haha I still worry about this! Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 5:05 PM
6thDeadlyVenum

I remember thinking black belts needed to register their hands as deadly weapons... Yup, I'm an idiot... Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 5:07 PM
LetiKraker
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, that a well positioned chop to the neck could knock out anybody, no matter how big. That they only taught this technique to a select few who could be trusted to restrain from using it unless in dire straights.

7/9/14 5:17 PM
pheonix5

Edited: 07/09/14 5:20 PM

Mirko Troll Cop - My 22 year old cousin still tries to convince me that people with black belts in TKD have to register their arms as deadly weapons.. Phone Post 3.0

And there's still a shitload of people who believe that crap. The worst is when some douchebag uses it to intimidate or impress people.

This shit still kills me

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.