UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Open Guard Concepts

7/14/14 7:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChicagoJiuJitsu
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys,

Here is a video I put together in hopes to be a reference for developing an "Open Guard Game".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq9mN2odAg

I hope there is some benefit in it for you

-Adem Redzovic
7/14/14 10:31 PM
jasonhightower
364 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/Pnq9mN2odAg

Very nice... I use open guard a lot so love the technical details in this video.

7/14/14 10:38 PM
ChicagoJiuJitsu
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting the video Jason!
7/14/14 11:22 PM
ColeMillerATT
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video from one of the best instructors in the country! Phone Post 3.0
7/14/14 11:59 PM
JohnnyBrabo
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU Adem

Really great insight. I've always focused more on my top game and from the bottom rely pretty heavily on strength for sweeps.

Always wanted to develop my guard and have been working on it a lot lately and the concepts here are pretty eye opening for me.

Thank you
7/15/14 12:08 AM
Tboney8669
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later Phone Post 3.0
7/15/14 12:37 AM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

Thanks Cole, good talking with you today my bro

Thanks JohnnyBrabo, wish you the best on your journey
7/15/14 7:08 PM
ECM
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brilliant vid. Thanks man Phone Post 3.0
7/15/14 7:42 PM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

thanks for taking the time to watch. 27 minutes is an eternity these days
7/15/14 8:08 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is absolutely killer information!

If I find myself in Chicago, I know where I'm training.
7/15/14 8:13 PM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post 3.0
7/15/14 8:16 PM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

Always welcome here bro
7/15/14 10:40 PM
Seul
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 12:17 AM
thesesitesofweb
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice video. Big fan of 1 and 6.
7/16/14 10:36 AM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 12:20 PM
acm5060
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good vid, thanks for posting.

How do you change or revise your principles, if at all, in no gi? Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 12:36 PM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

acm5060 - Very good vid, thanks for posting.

How do you change or revise your principles, if at all, in no gi? Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, Il make a video talking about that and post on that channel, hopefully with a week or so.

Basically, I look at the gi as like a training wheels in this regard. When the gi is off I believe it will be a faster experience with less grip control but none the less I think the default setting is get connected.

With that said I believe the 2nd and 3rd lines of defense are more common/important with out the gi
7/16/14 2:14 PM
acm5060
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome, look forward to it and VU! Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 5:12 PM
JoejitsuMD
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video! Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 9:30 PM
Robobear
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam that was a great detailed perspective of playing the open guard! I had an out of town visitor drop in to roll and asked almost all the points you covered.VU bro and keep those instructionals coming.

7/16/14 11:54 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great vid. This is the type of instruction that can really cut time off of people's development.
7/17/14 2:43 AM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

Much appreciated
7/17/14 12:48 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used these principals last night, and had a much easier time navigating the open guard. Also made it easier to pass my opponents guards.
7/17/14 12:53 PM
ChicagoJiuJitsu

ElPulpo - Used these principals last night, and had a much easier time navigating the open guard. Also made it easier to pass my opponents guards.

Funny you say that, this perspective actually helps me MORE as a guard passer. I am very happy you find it helpful
7/17/14 1:03 PM
mr_smiley_
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't usually watch any video over about 4 minutes, but that was really good. A bit repetitive on the principles, but I liked that because I'm probably more likely to remember them now.

I've improved my guard retention a lot lately by concentrating on grip breaking and points of contact, but what I'm struggling with most in my open guard is developing a 'plan of attack'. My passing has improved tremendously by following the Lovato pressure passing system-- just by having a 'plan of attack' from the system it makes me more assertive and even where I'm not able to execute the actual passes from his system it creates openings for other passes. For where I am with my BJJ (blue belt, ~3 years training), I feel like I'm having a lot more success trying to adapt someone else's 'system' to my game rather than trying to assemble a game plan wholly from what works for me.

I'm still struggling with trying to find a 'plan of attack' from the guard. I have a big collection of techniques that all occasionally work but I have a hard time mentally paring those down to come up with a 'guard play decision tree.' Just wondering whether you could give any advice on that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.