UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Open Guard Concepts

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/22/14 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Meatgrinder
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA
Adem Redzovic - 

Very smooth transition, thanks for sharing!

Thanks... I was hesistant to post it as I wasn't sure if it was bad form to post a vid in someone else's instructional vid thread... If so, then I apologize, just thought it was cool that you made this a point of emphasis as I think it's very important but often overlooked by even experienced guys (who maybe do it but don't emphasize it to others)....

Opening the first leg inside their arm was something that I've come to my own conclusions about. I don't see any elite guys show this (or really any of the BBs in my gym), but to me it's every bit as important to opening first in order to have initiative. I see a lot of white belts open outside the arm to that tripod guard only to get their leg pinned when they put their foot on the hip. So I've also changed my entry into that so that his arm is only on the inside of your knee when you post your elbow on the mat behind your shoulder (caio terra detail).

7/22/14 6:27 PM
The Principal
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4ltr Phone Post 3.0
7/22/14 11:29 PM
Root12
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking fantastic! I like how the video was about principles and not just moves. It's how I was coached in wrestling, and I have used that thinking for bjj. Thank you for posting Phone Post 3.0
7/23/14 12:01 AM
Adem Redzovic
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Chicago, IL

meatgrinder, 

Is that Boston BJJ you training at? I was there maybe 8 years ago or so a few times when I was in Boston on vacation. Great place

7/23/14 9:16 AM
Meatgrinder
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA
Adem Redzovic - 

meatgrinder, 

Is that Boston BJJ you training at? I was there maybe 8 years ago or so a few times when I was in Boston on vacation. Great place

Yes sir! Glad you enjoyed it... 8 years ago we might've still been in the old location in Watertown. Not sure time flies...It's up the road in Newton now. If you ever make it back out to this area definitely be sure to swing by again.

7/23/14 10:03 PM
Stone Free
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In
7/25/14 7:59 PM
hackett
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a great video. Thank you very much for posting.

7/26/14 1:41 PM
Daniël Bertina
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Amsterdam, The Neth.
Great vid as always!

I just the "4 points of contact" as a mantra when I'm playing guard. Phone Post 3.0
7/27/14 12:58 PM
pocotouro
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3t
7/27/14 8:05 PM
aries45
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Great stuff Phone Post 3.0
7/28/14 1:36 AM
FatFrenchFry
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later viewing Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 1:51 PM
Siciliano
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you ChicagoJJ. Bless your soul. Very good. Will be referencing this a whole lot!!!
7/29/14 2:20 PM
Adem Redzovic

Black Belt, Chicago, IL

thanks my bros, appreciate the kind words

7/29/14 2:27 PM
Meatgrinder

Black Belt, Newton, MA
Daniël Bertina - Great vid as always!

I just the "4 points of contact" as a mantra when I'm playing guard. Phone Post 3.0

I think that the classic case of this is the sweep where they are standing and you have 

-sleeve grip

-foot on their hip

-foot  hooking behind ankle

-hand cups there other ankle

...then sweep them onto their @ss.

...There's 4 points of contact here, but when you watch guys transition into it, they often do something like move both feet at the same time...At this moment maybe 2 pts on contact at best depending on their hand that's going to the ankle. Also by choosing both feet, they've also got 0 distance management  (which also highlights another key rule that ChicagoBJJ pointed out). So when you apply this rule(s), don't just think of it from a static positional analysis.... The window of opporutunity for the opponent is during the transition and you need to consider these rules during transitions.

7/31/14 5:32 AM
Daniël Bertina
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Amsterdam, The Neth.
Meatgrinder - 
Daniël Bertina - Great vid as always!

I think that the classic case of this is the sweep where they are standing and you have 

-sleeve grip

-foot on their hip

-foot  hooking behind ankle

-hand cups there other ankle

...then sweep them onto their @ss.

...There's 4 points of contact here, but when you watch guys transition into it, they often do something like move both feet at the same time...At this moment maybe 2 pts on contact at best depending on their hand that's going to the ankle. Also by choosing both feet, they've also got 0 distance management  (which also highlights another key rule that ChicagoBJJ pointed out). So when you apply this rule(s), don't just think of it from a static positional analysis.... The window of opporutunity for the opponent is during the transition and you need to consider these rules during transitions.

Exactly.

Always transfer your grips. If you get lazy, you offer the opponent a window to establish better control and smash you.

I've also noticed the 'keep 4 points of contact' is a REALLY good teaching tool for beginners. You can yell it out during sparring and (if they listen) they immediately get better guard control.
8/4/14 9:55 PM
RockTheVote
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed. right up my alley.

8/6/14 6:52 PM
Jonno
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adem, thanks for the video, i found the concepts of open guard you spoke about really beneficial. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/14 4:28 AM
Mil Mascaras
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Phone Post 3.0
8/10/14 10:30 PM
Tsandwich
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent breakdown of concepts. I think anyone looking to understand the open guard can benefit substantially by keying in on these types of ideas or concepts even more than by going out and learning the newest flashiest techniques. As a blue and purple belt I remember loving all of the new stuff coming out at the time. As I progressed as a brown and black belt my Jiu-Jitsu has only gotten more concept based than technique driven.

I think in addition to these ideas, it's extremely beneficial to understand ideas like angles, off balancing, guard recovery vs guard pass defense, etc. It's awesome seeing you teaching this way.
8/11/14 9:59 PM
Adem Redzovic

Black Belt, Chicago, IL

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. If you choose to start investing in this perspective keep me posted on how things develop on here or facebook, twitter etc. 

This approach has helped my guard passing tremendously, basically using all the principles against the guard player

8/12/14 9:15 AM
acm5060
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still planning on doing a no gi version? Phone Post 3.0
8/12/14 6:59 PM
Gaius Marius
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/14 7:15 PM
One of the things that motivated to join this site was to say thank you to Adam for this video. I had been working on butterfly with limited success for many months but this video really changed my open guard game overall.

Most bjj videos on the internet show a single technique, which is fine if you just want to learn that single technique. However, trying to add in a complete new style of guard is more based on concepts than a series of moves. This video didn't go over any flashy sweeps or crazy submissions but it broke down what one must learn as a foundation for open guard. Absolutely great stuff and I can't wait to see more videos from you.
8/16/14 8:21 PM
theoutsiders
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub Phone Post 3.0
8/19/14 1:44 AM
kappakeen
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted up, great video on principles

8/20/14 1:56 PM
athorganics
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.