UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why is SAKARABA considered so great?

7/18/14 1:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kimbos Lice
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

img src="http://i.imgur.com/d1EMCjM.png"

Not trolling. I've been watching mma since 2003, but never watched as much PRIDE as a lot of you. I've never understood why so many fans praise Sakaraba so much. Why is he so highly praised?

I see he has some wins over notable fighters, but he has a lot more losses by some of these guys. But at the same time his record is 26-16. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:42 AM
TomEisen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saku was a beast, single handedly brought Pride to its amazing heights, fought anyone and everyone, even long after he should have. Gracie hunter, wacky Evangelion fan, amazing walkouts, warrior spirit. And there was a time when he picked up the gracie hunter moniker that he was probably the best fighter in the world.

puro wessling is in fact strong

check out some of his early fights, he was beastin'

My first pride i saw was him being butchered by the ax murderer.
7/18/14 1:45 AM
Shinsplint
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beat a bunch of Gracie's when that mattered. Fought whomever he was matched up with regardless of size. Did crazy pro wrestling stuff. Was super entertaining. Etc take your pick. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:45 AM
whaledog
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you experienced his run at the top, you'd know.  He changed the game.

You can't judge him based on his record after Pride started booking matches designed to get him killed.

7/18/14 1:48 AM
insomnia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44E-lW3aYhM

Fought anyone, had heart, went for submissions, tried crazy shit, entertained us.
7/18/14 1:51 AM
Kimbos Lice
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vote ups to all of you!
Just got Fight Pass. I'll be sure to check out his old fights. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:52 AM
JimmersonzGlove
567 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ watching mma in 03 and 04 but not watching pride

"I love women...im just not interested in fine chicks" Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:53 AM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For his time he was one of the best & neutralized the Gracies for the most part. Then went on to fight heavier, more powerful power punchers like Wand, Rampage, & Igor Vovchanchin. Legend.
7/18/14 1:53 AM
Kimbos Lice

So I'm assuming he was like the BJ Penn of PRIDE? Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:58 AM
Kimbos Lice

JimmersonzGlove - Lol @ watching mma in 03 and 04 but not watching pride

"I love women...im just not interested in fine chicks" Phone Post 3.0
I got into it because I was deployed in Iraq in 2003 and a friend had all these UFC DVDs. I was like what the hell is this awesomeness. Also got deployed in 04 and 05 so I wasn't home that much to get that into it. But yeah, I can see how you could give me some shit for not knowing. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 1:59 AM
PitbullTodd

well if you haven't seen any of his fights before 2003 then you really haven't seen him in his prime. before him all the best submission guys were using bjj. he was doing something different and was tapping out bjj black belts. his grappling technique was brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnEFL0dt73g
7/18/14 2:13 AM
Juggernautt

He beat a few gracies including a prime royce and prime renzo, beat a prime ken shamrock and he had the balls to get in their with prime wanderlei three times not only that but he often fought out of his weight class many times

He is a legit tough guy that came from pro wrestling, he is to japan like brock lesnar was to ufc pre bad aids

He is also one of the most respectable and humble men, true representation of Budo Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:14 AM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP, these old Sherdog highlights were fantastic. Here is one of Sak that you can hopefully appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTE2mUmX-Q
7/18/14 2:19 AM
AgedCaviar
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude beat four Gracie's when everyone still thought they were unbeatable and was wildly entertaining. Fought anyone at any weight, brought in the theatrics of Japanese pro-wrestling while displaying the highest level I skill against the best competition available. Yeah, he kept fighting too long but that's only a testament to how much he loved what he did. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get it and I'm grateful for having witnessed that era. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:23 AM
crazydave
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saku is one fighter who embodies the warrior spirit. A true martial artist. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:24 AM
Jambo888
633 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

skilled, great stamina, could and would take a beating, humble, warrior

7/18/14 2:34 AM
brahmabull81
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah its unfortunate for you that you got into MMA just 2 years or so after he was king (and really he didnt fade that early, he started doing the BJ Penn "fight anyone any weight" strategy and it broke him down over the years).

He broke dem Gracies, beat fucking VITOR, armbarred Rampage (a fading Saku armbarred a young fresh raw Rampage). And Im only counting his really impressive wins here... he FOUGHT almost everyone at that time... at nearly any weight. He simply did not give a shit. He fought ALL the hitters in Pride history.

Hes a pioneer of creativity on the ground. Whereas people might not have found what standard BJJers were doing on the ground exciting at that point, Saku had this high risk high reward style that made his grappling a sizzling sight to see. He would purposely let you have advantageous positions because he would use them as entries into his favorite positions/holds.

Watching Saku toy with guys in the standup and on the ground and how fearless he was... it was like watching a master magician in there. Saku is one of the most important people to ever come along in MMA.

Saku gives no fucks. He smokes cigs and he fights. BEAST.
7/18/14 2:35 AM
Easytarget
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didnt cut weight, should have fought at 155, fought a lot of guys who were legit 205ers, sometimes he won. Also fought a lot of guys his size.

7/18/14 2:53 AM
Cory Davis
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fought in the 2000 open weight grand prix, went 90 minutes vs Royce, then 15 against Igor. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:56 AM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greatest ever.
7/18/14 2:58 AM
inf0
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/14 2:57 AM
a good night for Sak - smoke, drink and smack a few gracies around.. legend
7/18/14 3:01 AM
shin2chin
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beat the Gracies when they were gods

Was the most entertaining submission fighter of the time (of all time).

Tapped out, Randleman, Rampage, tiger white, Newton

Was using techniques like cartwheel guard passes, Mongolian chops, jumping stomps, sliding kicks etc

Fought heavy weights

Got fed to Wanderlie 3 times but kept going back for more.

Was by all accounts a heavy drinker and smoker.

Has the heart of a lion and would take terrible beatings and not tap.

Is a cool fucking dude
7/18/14 3:08 AM
kawz1
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - a good night for Sak - smoke, drink and smack a few gracies around.. legend

vtfu. Saku had a weird mixture of genius martial artist and everyday man / fighter. he's your favorite fighter's favorite fighter. even dfw says the one guy he regrets never having brought over to the zuffa era UFC from Pride is saku. 39.
7/18/14 3:09 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had the balls to come out and fight igor, the best striker in the world at that time and easily 2 weight classes above saku after a 90 minute fight with royce.

judging the quality of a fighter off of a his record, especially one who fought in those early days of pride, doesnt really give a good indication of the fighter's prowess. saku's arch rival, wanderlei is 35-12, but if you were following pride when he was on top, you'd have to agree that in his prime, he was just about the best p4p fighter on the planet.

sak knew how to put on a show in a way that has never been matched. genki sudo had charisma and good entrances, enson inoue had the balls, rickson had the aura, but nobody covered all bases like saku.

legend of the sport.
7/18/14 3:10 AM
BJ Penn Forever
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much time did Saku spend learning from Billy Robinson?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.