UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Nate Diaz not a needle mover

7/18/14 2:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC president Dana White conducted a press conference on Friday in Dublin, and was asked if ZUFFA CEO Lorenzo Fertitta had attempted to bring Nate Diaz back into the cage. The fan favorite has been in limbo since March, when he tweeted that he wanted a release from his contract.

It is widely believed that Diaz is upset over the disparity between his contract and that of his teammate Gil Melendez, signed when "El Nino" was at the center of a bidding war between the UFC and Bellator.

"As far as I'm concerned, I don't get paid s---," Diaz told MMAFighting in April. "I get $60,000 and $60,000. If I were doing this for the fame, I would have quit seven years ago. I can't tell you what my brother and Gil make, but I can tell you that they signed a contract for more than I get paid to headline and win a fight, and that's bulls---."

White however was adamant that Diaz is not going to get a renegotiated contract.

"Nate Diaz is not a needle mover," said White as transcribed by Shaun Al-Shatti for MMAFighting.

"I love Nate Diaz. Nate Diaz is actually one of my favorite kids. I always got along with Nate, Nate was always great. Lowest rated FOX show ever. Lowest rated FOX show ever. His numbers, he doesn't pull the numbers in. Nick is a needle mover. Nick moves the needle. He doesn't pull good numbers.

"Listen, if Nate Diaz was the guy, we'd work it out in a minute. If you move the needle, those are the guys that make the big money. You realize he's like 1-3 in his last three fights? He's 1-3, he's nowhere near a title fight, he's never won a title, and he doesn't move the needle."

"He seems like he's popular when you're looking on f---ing Twitter and some website. But the numbers, the real numbers, tell the truth. We know who moves needles and who doesn't move needles. If Nate Diaz was a massive needle mover, we'd have called him. He'd be on the phone, we'd be figuring it out and we'd work it out. He doesn't move the needle.

"This isn't a ‘sort things out' thing. You're under contract. You just signed this contract. Who is happy? Who's really, at the end of the day? When we signed Melendez is when he got unhappy. When his partner got his contract, he became unhappy.

"I know he trains with Melendez. But Melendez is one of the top guys in the world. He's the No. 1 ranked guy in the world, next in line for a title shot, he's a former world champion. Nate has absolutely nothing like that on his resume, and he's 1-3 in his last few fights."

White misspoke in calling Diaz 1-3 his last fights, and obviously meant to say 1-2 his last three, which is correct. However, Diaz's ratings are not the disaster presented. Diaz headlined UFC on FOX 5: Henderson vs. Diaz and UFC on FOX 3: Diaz vs. Miller. While the latter fight was the third lowest rating for a UFC on FOX event, his title challenge vs. Henderson was the third highest rating for a UFC on FOX. While White's numbers are doubtless more sound than those made available to the public, it does not appear factually correct to described them as the lowest ever.

Diaz's manager Mike Kogan took to Twitter to defend his client's ratings power.

"4.4 mil 3rd highest, 2.4mil on the night f---ing Mayweather fought and Mosley was co-main and 1.2mil on s--- TUF finale don't move needles?" tweeted Kogan.

White responded bluntly.

"Hey Kogan u scumbag POS, if Nate didn't listen to ur dumb ass he wouldn't be in this position," said White. "Quit f---in up kids careers dirtbag."

In any case, the hardcore fanbase does not care about television numbers, or the difference between a 1.3 and 4.0. Real fight fans want to see exciting fighters fight. Nate Diaz is an exciting fighter, and exchanging contrary words in the media does not seem like a likely path to get Nate Diaz back in the cage being exciting.

7/18/14 2:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
flyingtoehold
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who doesn't like watching that crazy mofo fight? Cmon dana! Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:46 PM
Stea1th
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sour grapes.

Ill buy cards to see Diaz fights Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:48 PM
Silverball
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Nate Diaz is not a needle mover," said White as transcribed by Shaun Al-Shatti for MMAFighting.
7/18/14 2:50 PM
2Fort
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smear campaign hard at work by the great EGG. He's just going to keep shitting on Nate every way he can think of until Nate fights again.
7/18/14 2:52 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/14 9:53 PM

7/18/14 2:52 PM
cfv
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:53 PM
tdunning
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Headline: DFW: Nick Diaz not a needle mover

Article: DFW: Nick is a needle mover. Nick moves the needle.

Nice. Is this a subtle reference to when the UFC mistakenly put Nick's name in place of Nate's on the most finishes at LW?
Mr Spliff

Way to go UG news.... Phone Post 3.0
inari
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Title should say Nate not NIck :)
7/18/14 2:57 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should say Nate.

Either way, Dana is scummy as shit and I'm not even really a Diaz bros fan Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:57 PM
zackthewop
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - Headline: DFW: Nick Diaz not a needle mover

Nice. Is this a subtle reference to when the UFC mistakenly put Nick's name in place of Nate's on the most finishes at LW?
Lol you are giving them way too much credit Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:58 PM
MountainMedic
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get it together ug news! Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 2:59 PM
Logic MMA

Cool story Dana.

7/18/14 2:59 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I buy Diaz Bros cards.
7/18/14 3:00 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

UG News = Derp.

Nick will see this, read the headline, believe it and it further damage his relationship with The UFC.

Terribly unprofessional. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:03 PM
Malvert the Janitor
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a totally botched cut and paste.

And it's the posters that drive them away, huh guys? When's the last time the UG issued an apology for a member's forum post? Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:04 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay this thread title got me pissed usually i don't take the ug blog personally. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:04 PM
chilz
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - Headline: DFW: Nick Diaz not a needle mover

Just more informational excellence, from the UG blog. As Kirik has said,if it has grammatical errors then Chris did it.

Also, there was a thread on this subject over an hour ago. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:07 PM
BurlyMayes
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/14 3:08 PM
UG News: Anderson Silva to rematch Andrei Arlovski at UFN 51!
7/18/14 3:07 PM
TheRealMrBeefy

I get fuckin pumped when I hear a Diaz is fighting. Hell, they even entertain during the weigh ins. They constantly talk shit, throw middle fingers ect...

Both of them move the needle for me (no homo). Even the people who hate them probably tune in just to see if they lose.

Dana, your the fuckin man! But please rethink this Nate situation. He is acting like an ass about his pay (mostly because he JUST signed a new deal recently) but just work something out with him. I cant speak for everyone, but there is a lot of people out there that love to watch those Stockton boys fight. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:09 PM
Rahjai MD
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

go home UG news, your drunk
7/18/14 3:11 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Blunderground Blog. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:13 PM
Damaynevent

I'd pay for a card that Nate is on. He's mostly been main event or co-main for free cards the past few years. Wtf is Dana talking about? Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 3:13 PM
youarewhatiswrong
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Headline: Dana White makes up some bullshit to support his shitting on one of his most popular, most exciting and for the longest time most Zuffa loyal fighters.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.