UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: Carano deal near, will fight Rousey

7/18/14 9:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Despite the event being tomorrow, at the pre-fight media scrum held today after the weigh ins for Ultimate Fight Night 46 the media couldn't avoid asking Dana White about his progress on signing Gina Carano. Last week White said he would be signing her shortly, and today stuck to, but adding that he expects Carano to fight UFC champion Ronda Rousey in December:

Today during a media scrum in Dublin, White said Carano, who has been inactive since 2009, “should be signed by next week” and added the former Strikeforce contender and movie star would get a title shot against Rousey in December.

White made special reference that the fight is not likely to take place at the promotion’s end-of-year event, UFC 182, which this time around takes place Jan. 3 in Las Vegas.

“Ronda’s been very good to us, and if that’s the fight she wants, then I’m going to try to get it done,” White said.

Next week, White said he will head to Los Angeles to negotiate a deal to bring the starlet into the UFC. He said getting the deal done was simply a matter of getting in the same room with Carano’s lawyer.

“I can’t wait to meet this guy face to face,” White said. “It’s going to be a typical Monday. Sh—y day.”

read entire article...

7/18/14 9:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlexinTO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All about the money

Not much sport in this one Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:34 PM
RyannVonDoom

Interesting. 

7/18/14 9:34 PM
Hecklah

Can't wait to see Gina's cut and the weigh in! She's god-damn hot! Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:36 PM
Hecklah

Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:37 PM
guardbr8kr

anybody remember Don Kingishhhhhhhhhhhittttttttttttttt???
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the division.... Phone Post 3.0
DaddyO4
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina inactive since '09,has it ben that long? Time flies.
7/18/14 9:38 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever - Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the division.... Phone Post 3.0
Ya true. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:41 PM
I Wild Each It
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next week, White said he will head to Los Angeles to negotiate a deal to bring the starlet into the UFC. He said getting the deal done was simply a matter of getting in the same room with Carano’s lawyer.

“I can’t wait to meet this guy face to face,” White said. “It’s going to be a typical Monday. Sh—y day.”

Translation: I usually negotiate with a "my way or the highway" philosophy, and a high profile Hollywood attorney will likely call me on my bullshit.
7/18/14 9:44 PM
Good Boy Killa

This is retarded. Gina hasn't fought since 09 got destroyed by cyborg and walks into a title shot. But no way was Holly Holm walking into a title shot lol Dana Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:46 PM
CarlCX
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sultan -
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever - Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the division.... Phone Post 3.0
Ya true. Phone Post 3.0
Depends on how fast they can get it done. No disagreement it's 100% a showcase fight, but Rousey's sort of cleared the contenders for the moment and there isn't really anyone on deck who doesn't need to win another fight or two first--with the exception of Zingano, who's getting a fight to ease her back into the mix of things first.

It's lame from a sport perspective, but in terms of timing they could get this done by the end of the year just in time for someone to have emerged as a real, legitimate contender. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:49 PM
BirdWatcher
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy to see Gina sign but very disappointed she steps right into RR. Hasn't UFC said in the past to leave the match making to them and not the fighters yet Ron DaRousey gets this one because she's been a good girl? Not impressed...... :( Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:49 PM
rsbones
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not much of a slap in the face to the rest or the division because of the thing. Nunes and Zingano are fighting September 27 and so neither will likely be ready to fight in December. Holm says she doesn't want a title fight for a while. And fwiw, cyborg has to fight 135 at least once and is probably looking at mid 2015 before she can even come to UFC if she ever makes weight anyway.

Ronda has already destroyed everyone else in the division. (Carmouche, Tate, Davis, Kaufman). So...if they want Ronda to fight in December, why not Gina?

Besides, who doesn't want to see a 135 pound Gina! Getting to that size will be good for her movie career too. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:50 PM
Gator Choke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Fight Radio/ NBC Radio Phoenix, Cohost/Commentator
I understand the business logic behind this. Gina is a name attraction, as is Rousey. They obviously have huge ppv numbers in mind with this. Putting her in a warm up fight is way too risky because if that happens, a huge opportunity is flushed down the toilet. That being said, the FAN in me doesn't quite agree with this move. On August 15, it will be four full years since Carano has been in action and you are immediately throwing her in there with someone who has wrecked everyone in her path so far and finished her last two opponents in less time than it took me to write this post. And we are talking two of the better female fighters in the sport who have been more than active. I just can't see this ending well one way or the other.
7/18/14 9:50 PM
letsdodis
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yay, another free W for Rousey and another decent payday for the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:52 PM
LucasBTiger
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rsbones - It's not much of a slap in the face to the rest or the division because of the thing. Nunes and Zingano are fighting September 27 and so neither will likely be ready to fight in December. Holm says she doesn't want a title fight for a while. And fwiw, cyborg has to fight 135 at least once and is probably looking at mid 2015 before she can even come to UFC if she ever makes weight anyway.

Ronda has already destroyed everyone else in the division. (Carmouche, Tate, Davis, Kaufman). So...if they want Ronda to fight in December, why not Gina?

Besides, who doesn't want to see a 135 pound Gina! Getting to that size will be good for her movie career too. Phone Post 3.0
Thank you Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:52 PM
youarewhatiswrong
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Boy Killa - This is retarded. Gina hasn't fought since 09 got destroyed by cyborg and walks into a title shot. But no way was Holly Holm walking into a title shot lol Dana Phone Post 3.0

This is exactly why the fight has to happen now, while Gina's name still carries weight. There is too much of a chance of her losing warm-up fight and completely sacrificing all the value that she holds for the UFC.

It's no different than Royce Gracie coming straight in and fight Matt Hughes. Both Royce and Gina were pioneers of their respective sports, both did or do not necessarily deserve a title shot based on current rankings, but both fights have to happen, both for the viewers and for the UFC's bottom line.

Holly Holm is a legitimate contender, but doesn't carry the name value that Gina does. Holly has the opportunity to come in, beat some lower tiered fighters in spectacular fashion and establish her storyline and sell a championship fight down the road.
7/18/14 9:53 PM
Vader03
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina aint making 135 Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 9:58 PM
Hecklah

Vader03 - Gina aint making 135 Phone Post 3.0
You shut your whore mouth! I wanna see Gina-rexic! Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 10:20 PM
BooZe

Good Boy Killa - This is retarded. Gina hasn't fought since 09 got destroyed by cyborg and walks into a title shot. But no way was Holly Holm walking into a title shot lol Dana Phone Post 3.0
This, it's just kind of fucked up, I'd like see her face holm as a tune up, she hasn't fought in so long, Ronda will destroy her right now. But there tryna build up Ronda and give her a huge name since they know cyborg is risky and a huge name. But anyway can't wait to see Gina at the weigh ins lol Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 10:25 PM
Rudi

We'll just go ahead and mark down her loss to Ronda Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 10:28 PM
vaginal tear
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rudi - We'll just go ahead and mark down her loss to Ronda Phone Post 3.0
First -3000 odds in vegas for a title fight? Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 10:31 PM
KOphil25
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id like to let my penis referee carano vs rousey Phone Post 3.0
7/18/14 10:40 PM
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork

Straight junk! Gina has just as much trouble making weight as Cyborg, got mauled by Cyborg and hasn't fought for 4-5 years...then gets an immediate title shot?! Wtf has happened to the sport I use to love!? Women's division or no, this is like signing Kimbo Slice and giving him a shot a Cain. Blaf is acting the fool on this one!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.