UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Staten Island man not killed by police chokehold

7/20/14 1:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nitecrawler
2011 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -
nobadanymore -
RubberFistofFury -
angryinch -

Again I ask, if the actions of the cops didn't kill him, then I presume that you are claiming that he would have died at the exact same time in the exact same manner had the cops not assaulted him, right?

His decision to resist, and therefore raise his heart rate to a dangerous level for his condition, most likely caused his heart attack. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, definitely not the prohibited choke hold. Or the suffocation. Or the lack of cpr while officers stood around looking at his lifeless body for over 5 minutes.

None of that contributed in any way.

It was coz he was fat. Phone Post 3.0
He was still breathing when put in the ambulance so the "No CPR" is a moot point. Phone Post 3.0
If you believe that I have a bridge for sale.... Phone Post 3.0
Please clarify your statement.

Are you saying the paramedic in scene did not perform CPR even though he was not breathing?

Pretty sure she observed he had a pulse and was breathing which is why she didn't start compressions right away.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 1:51 PM
Kneeblock
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it was a proper rnc the arterial blockage could've prompted the heart attack. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 1:54 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"officer I can't breathe, please let go"
7/20/14 1:56 PM
Nitecrawler
2011 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - "officer I can't breathe, please let go"
He said he couldn't breathe way after the hold was released.

But again, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 1:59 PM
nobadanymore
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NC, can you hear what is said in this video at 4:39?.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=509_1405750941
7/20/14 2:01 PM
Jessy Ringquist
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, York, PA
Nitecrawler -
Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -
nobadanymore -
RubberFistofFury -
angryinch -

Again I ask, if the actions of the cops didn't kill him, then I presume that you are claiming that he would have died at the exact same time in the exact same manner had the cops not assaulted him, right?

His decision to resist, and therefore raise his heart rate to a dangerous level for his condition, most likely caused his heart attack. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, definitely not the prohibited choke hold. Or the suffocation. Or the lack of cpr while officers stood around looking at his lifeless body for over 5 minutes.

None of that contributed in any way.

It was coz he was fat. Phone Post 3.0
He was still breathing when put in the ambulance so the "No CPR" is a moot point. Phone Post 3.0
If you believe that I have a bridge for sale.... Phone Post 3.0
Please clarify your statement.

Are you saying the paramedic in scene did not perform CPR even though he was not breathing?

Pretty sure she observed he had a pulse and was breathing which is why she didn't start compressions right away.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Phone Post 3.0
Do you really believe she did a thorough job? She eventually poked at his neck after staring at him for about a minute. I didn't see her check his breathing at all. In addition why in the FUCK after they couldn't revive him was he still restrained?

That was a coverup from the second they realized they went too far. Or didn't you hear them ask to turn off the camera? Everything after that was a performance for the camera. "Oh, he is still breathing" said the cop.

Really, jackass? His giant fat belly didn't move for most of the video, his head was lolled to the side, eyes open and rolled into the back of his head.

But im sure you are right, he is about to have the heart attack that will kill him, in the ambulance. Those nice police officers did everything they could after all to help him. They had NOTHING to do with it! Bah. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:09 PM
Nitecrawler

nobadanymore - NC, can you hear what is said in this video at 4:39?.

Actually I can't make it out. The chick ems with the annoying SI accent says "Sir, its ems, gonna put you in the stretcher.."

Sounds like one of the cops says something and she says "Yeah, yeah, yeah".

Can't make out what he says though, too much background noise. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:10 PM
Jessy Ringquist
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, York, PA
Nitecrawler -

Actually I can't make it out. The chick ems with the annoying SI accent says "Sir, its ems, gonna put you in the stretcher.."

Sounded to me the cop said "he's not breathing" Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:12 PM
PrettyBoy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

beerbelly -
OuTkAsTTTTT69 - I read it was due to his ashma attack, caused by the scuffle..so in essence it was the cops or his own fault..which ever side u take Phone Post 3.0
If a doctor says his heart would have given out at the same time as this incident, I'm good. Otherwise if we are saying that people with heart conditions were predisposed to die deserves it in a cop setting disturbs me. Phone Post 3.0
One thing being a lawyer has taught me is that you can pay a doctor to say anything on the stand. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:16 PM
Nitecrawler

Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -

I'll rewatch it and see if that's what he's saying.

Maybe he said "Is he breathing?"

Will rewatch in a bit. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:18 PM
Jessy Ringquist

Black Belt, York, PA
Nitecrawler -
Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -

He could have. I listened again, he might have asked if he was breathing. To which she would have responded yeah, yeah, yeah. Though how she could have possibly assessed that is beyond me. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:21 PM
possum jitsu
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP's cancerous testicle -
possum jitsu - 
Nitecrawler - 
possum jitsu -
Team GDP's cancerous testicle - How many times prior was the guy arrested?
I don't really see how that would matter. Do police usually know ones record when they arrest them? Phone Post 3.0
When he's been arrested 31 times, 4 for the same offense around the same location I would say yes. Phone Post 3.0

and besides that, it's the same with most of these 'isolated incidents'. bums, multiple arrests, people on drugs. Fucks shouldn't be given so lightly.
Not much empathy huh? That's a shame and I feel bad for you. Phone Post 3.0

you want me to understand the feelings of a man whose been arrested 30 times? fuck him and fuck your fake feelings
Arrested for selling cigarettes... yeah fuck him. What a shame. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:21 PM
Dogo
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My issue with it now is the same as when I first viewed the video. Everything hinges on whether on to the police had a genuine reason to arrest the guy. Because if they didn't then I can see why he 'resisted' - and really it was more arguing than genuinely resisting. And I'll bet that most of the people on here who blame him entirely would react much the same way he did if they were being arrested for no reason. Nobody wants to put their hands behind their back and get arrested when they have not done anything wrong.

When he asked, one of the cops responded that some guy 'over there' said he was selling cigarettes. Sorry, that's not good enough IMO. That sounds like the same kind of bullshit excuse guys give when they get caught driving a stolen car. "Some guy over there gave it to me."

If he was breaking the law he should have just put his hands behind his back. If he wasn't, they shouldn't have been arresting him. So the blame gets assigned according to whether or not they had a legitimate reason to arrest him.

And yes, I'm aware he'd been arrested for selling cigarettes before. That doesn't mean he's guilty of it this time, and if he wasn't then I can certainly see why he'd feel like they were just singling him out and fucking with him. If he was breaking the law he should have simply accepted the fact that if you play you pay. But I don't know if he was at this point, and probably never will.
7/20/14 2:24 PM
Team GDP's cancerous testicle
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

possum jitsu - 
possum jitsu - 
Nitecrawler - 
possum jitsu -
Team GDP's cancerous testicle - How many times prior was the guy arrested?
I don't really see how that would matter. Do police usually know ones record when they arrest them? Phone Post 3.0
When he's been arrested 31 times, 4 for the same offense around the same location I would say yes. Phone Post 3.0

and besides that, it's the same with most of these 'isolated incidents'. bums, multiple arrests, people on drugs. Fucks shouldn't be given so lightly.
Not much empathy huh? That's a shame and I feel bad for you. Phone Post 3.0

you want me to understand the feelings of a man whose been arrested 30 times? fuck him and fuck your fake feelings
Arrested for selling cigarettes... yeah fuck him. What a shame. Phone Post 3.0

31 times?
7/20/14 2:25 PM
nobadanymore
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jessy Ringquist - 
Nitecrawler -
Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -

He could have. I listened again, he might have asked if he was breathing. To which she would have responded yeah, yeah, yeah. Though how she could have possibly assessed that is beyond me. Phone Post 3.0

It is hard to make out. It sounds to me as though the officer says 'he's breathing but there's no pulse'. Which would be astonishing.
7/20/14 2:25 PM
Ghost of Corvelay
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Person to person transactions of legal product between consenting adults should never result in police intervention.
7/20/14 2:26 PM
Nitecrawler

Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -
Jessy Ringquist -
Nitecrawler -

Didn't rewatch as I'm out right now but I'm thinking he asked "Is he breathing" based on her reaction of "Yeah, yeah, yeah".

Seems like that would be an odd thing to respond if he just said "He's not breathing". Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:28 PM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The focus on the choke hold is missing the mark. You can still smother the like out of someone when you pig pile the shit out of them with knees and chicken wings and the like. The person stars to freak while claustrophobia and panic set in, the pussy cops continue to apply pleasure while pretending they are in a life and death struggle , and sometimes that's enough to kill someone. Happens all the time.

They act like a bunch of mindles retards once it starts. Let's see how many of us can jump on him and join the party without a second thought. All in a massive charade like they are in a risky spot

Pathetic that some people are so conditioned and willing to give a bunch of cops license to kill simply ith a "he shouldn't have resisted".

This was not a dangerous situation. Not in the slightest.

Me and a buddy could have easily handled that guy
7/20/14 2:29 PM
Nitecrawler

Concerning his priors:

At the time of his death, the Port Richmond resident had three misdemeanor cases pending in Stapleton Criminal Court. He was free on $2,000 bail.

On Aug. 22 of last year, Garner was arrested on School Road and Bay Street, Fort Wadsworth, for allegedly driving without a license, according to a criminal complaint.

Garner, 43, gave cops a phony name and put himself in more hot water when officers allegedly found untaxed cigarettes and a small amount of marijuana in the 1998 Lincoln Navigator he was driving, the complaint said.

He was charged with aggravated unlicensed vehicle operation, false personation, possession or sale of untaxed cigarettes and marijuana possession, according to information from District Attorney Daniel Donovan's office. Phone Post 3.0
MickColins
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Police announce police didn't kill man" Phone Post 3.0
Nitecrawler

Continued...

Seven months later, while out on $1,000 bail, Garner was busted on March 28 for allegedly selling unstamped cigarettes on the street outside of 200 Bay St., Tompkinsville. He had 24 packs of untaxed smokes in his possession, police said.

The location is next door to 202 Bay St., where the fatal confrontation occurred Thursday between cops and Garner.

Garner was charged with a misdemeanor count of violating the cigarette and tobacco products tax and posted $1,000 bail, online state court records show.

Garner was arrested again on May 7 on Victory Boulevard and St. Marks Place, Tompkinsville. The site is across the block from Bay Street.

Cops accused him of possessing six packs of untaxed cigarettes.

Garner last appeared in court to answer the three cases on July 2. The matters were all adjourned then to Oct. 7, online state court records show. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:34 PM
RubberFistofFury
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dogo - My issue with it now is the same as when I first viewed the video. Everything hinges on whether on to the police had a genuine reason to arrest the guy. Because if they didn't then I can see why he 'resisted' - and really it was more arguing than genuinely resisting. And I'll bet that most of the people on here who blame him entirely would react much the same way he did if they were being arrested for no reason. Nobody wants to put their hands behind their back and get arrested when they have not done anything wrong.

When he asked, one of the cops responded that some guy 'over there' said he was selling cigarettes. Sorry, that's not good enough IMO. That sounds like the same kind of bullshit excuse guys give when they get caught driving a stolen car. "Some guy over there gave it to me."

If he was breaking the law he should have just put his hands behind his back. If he wasn't, they shouldn't have been arresting him. So the blame gets assigned according to whether or not they had a legitimate reason to arrest him.

And yes, I'm aware he'd been arrested for selling cigarettes before. That doesn't mean he's guilty of it this time, and if he wasn't then I can certainly see why he'd feel like they were just singling him out and fucking with him. If he was breaking the law he should have simply accepted the fact that if you play you pay. But I don't know if he was at this point, and probably never will.
I see your point, but he was more than just arguing. He was resisting attempts to be handcuffed. It was more than arguing, but less than throwing punches and fighting back....his resistance was right there in the middle. And if he believes he is being wrongfully targeted, that is for a judge and jury to decide. He knows he is going to be arrested. He should have complied and dealt with it in court. All that said, the officers tactics, especially the "choke", weren't good and should be addressed.

As far as the officers response that "some guy" told them he was selling cigarettes, they may have been protecting the identity of the person making the report for fear of retaliation, etc... That's not uncommon. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 2:36 PM
angryinch

Nitecrawler - Continued...

Seven months later, while out on $1,000 bail, Garner was busted on March 28 for allegedly selling unstamped cigarettes on the street outside of 200 Bay St., Tompkinsville. He had 24 packs of untaxed smokes in his possession, police said.

The location is next door to 202 Bay St., where the fatal confrontation occurred Thursday between cops and Garner.

Garner was charged with a misdemeanor count of violating the cigarette and tobacco products tax and posted $1,000 bail, online state court records show.

Garner was arrested again on May 7 on Victory Boulevard and St. Marks Place, Tompkinsville. The site is across the block from Bay Street.

Cops accused him of possessing six packs of untaxed cigarettes.

Garner last appeared in court to answer the three cases on July 2. The matters were all adjourned then to Oct. 7, online state court records show. Phone Post 3.0

Well fuck!  That changes everything.   I'm glad they killed the next Ted Bundy before he had the chance to sell another cigarette.  If there's ever been a person that needed killing, he was the one!

I applaud these brave heros who so selflessly took on this incredibly dangerous monster with no regard for their own safety and in a life and death struggle managed to kill him just mere seconds before they themselves would have ended up dead.  

7/20/14 2:38 PM
Jambo888
597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP's cancerous testicle - How many times prior was the guy arrested?

enough to kill him I think

7/20/14 2:41 PM
KneeUpperCut Ios

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Knee you are racist bro? lol never would have guessed

Race doesn't have anything to do with what I perceive to be right/wrong. Recently there was a video posted of a black police officer tossing around a white lieutenant - in that case I stand by the black police officers actions and think the white guy is an idiot.

I guess in your opinion that makes me racist against both blacks and whites?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.