UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Staten Island man not killed by police chokehold

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/20/14 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RockTheVote
752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angryinch -

"Knowing he had asthma, why was he angrily arguing with cops about his arrest?"

Because they were unustifiably fucking with him?

How do you know? I think untaxed cig sales are dumb. You could be totally right. Do you give everyone the benefit of a doubt? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:12 PM
Stephen Eakin
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angryinch -
Stephen Eakin - I don't understand the untaxed cigarettes part. What does that mean? Phone Post 3.0

He didn't give the govt their cut, therefore they sent their hired thugs out to kill him.  No different than a mafia protection racket, imo.

So he was manufacturing them? Or just reselling some he previously bought? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:15 PM
Stephen Eakin
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dogo -
Stephen Eakin - I don't understand the untaxed cigarettes part. What does that mean? Phone Post 3.0

This should clear it up

http://nypost.com/2012/06/08/nyc-probe-finds-massive-number-of-illegal-untaxed-cigs/
Damn guess it makes more sense why people are selling them in the streets. 100% tax is crazy Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:23 PM
Nitecrawler
3187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
angryinch -

They just observed him committing the same crime that he had been arrested for before. How is that not just to arrest him yet again? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:27 PM
Dogo
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nitecrawler - 
angryinch -

They just observed him committing the same crime that he had been arrested for before. How is that not just to arrest him yet again? Phone Post 3.0

They didn't observe him. They said some unnamed person 'over there' said he was selling them. They also, at least according to the one report I read, didn't find any cigarettes on him or in his car. Not sure what the source was for that though.
7/20/14 3:33 PM
Dogo
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In those 30 prior arrests, how many times was he charged with resisting? Does anyone know?

Because maybe he was only resisting because he hadn't done anything this time.

You would think that after 30 arrests they'd all have it down to a science now. So what was different this time?
7/20/14 3:36 PM
Nitecrawler
3187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dogo -
Nitecrawler - 
angryinch -

They didn't observe him. They said some unnamed person 'over there' said he was selling them. They also, at least according to the one report I read, didn't find any cigarettes on him or in his car. Not sure what the source was for that though.
If you find that report is be interested to read it as I had read they found untaxed smokes on him.

Let me see if I can find that again. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:47 PM
Dogo

I'll have to look through my browser history. I know I read that the didn't find anything, but I read a bunch of articles after it happened. I'll try to dig it up.
7/20/14 3:47 PM
Nitecrawler

Dogo - In those 30 prior arrests, how many times was he charged with resisting? Does anyone know?

You would think that after 30 arrests they'd all have it down to a science now. So what was different this time?
No idea what 22 of the other arrests were about but 8 were for selling the untaxed cigarettes.

Would be interested to see what the other charges were. Doesn't really have any bearing on this case but might shed some light on what type of person he was and whether or not he had a history of resisting. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:49 PM
Nitecrawler

Dogo - I'll have to look through my browser history. I know I read that the didn't find anything, but I read a bunch of articles after it happened. I'll try to dig it up.
Cool.

I looked as well but the only thing I found was a statement from his family saying that he didn't have anything on him.

I would think there would be an inventory of all objects on him at the time of death that would be logged somewhere. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 3:53 PM
Dogo

Yeah, that's from this daily news article. Same thing I read at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-man-dies-puts-choke-hold-article-1.1871486

So other than the family saying he had nothing, I haven't seen any other mention of whether or not he had cigarettes on him.
7/20/14 4:11 PM
Fletch Fuller
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Naples, FL

Selling cigarettes is pretty minor but it is illegal and in this case reported by a store owner who had complained about him before. He apparently tossed the evidence when the cops arrived (which NEVER happens *rolls eyes*) and then resisted cops. One cop grabs him around the neck (which regardless of whether it choked him at all, is apparently the definition of a "chokehold") and voila', instant evidence of excessive force.

I expect that level of understanding from the idiots at Huffington Post or TYT, but on a MMA related forum, I would think people would get the idea of what is and what is NOT a "chokehold".

7/20/14 4:12 PM
FABombDropper
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You shut your lying whore mouth OP. They killed that young healthy 400lb man. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:16 PM
caseharts
725 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seemed pretty excessive but maybe I'm tripping. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:20 PM
Jessy Ringquist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, York, PA
Nitecrawler -
Dogo - In those 30 prior arrests, how many times was he charged with resisting? Does anyone know?

No idea what 22 of the other arrests were about but 8 were for selling the untaxed cigarettes.

Would be interested to see what the other charges were. Doesn't really have any bearing on this case but might shed some light on what type of person he was and whether or not he had a history of resisting. Phone Post 3.0
Since when does passive resistance equal the death sentence?

Look, there are times and places where law enforcement is needed.

The key word is NEEDED.

But there IS an epidemic with police abuse of force and police abuse of authority.

This video, where you literally watch a cop choke another human being to death

(regardless when he died he died as a result of the actions of the cops. This cannot be argued. It is irrefutable fact. He was alive and NOT having a heart attack before the cops went hands on and he was dead after)

For the mere BELIEF, that he MIGHT have been selling illicit cigarettes.

Let's break that last line down so we can see the true ridiculous nature of what occurred.

The cops believed (no proof of any kind) that he MIGHT (the possibility existed) have been selling illicit cigarettes. (Cigarettes are legal but only if properly taxed)

Because of that last line that man died. Really???? How can anyone defend this? Please remember, the next time you, your family, your child, your dog is abused by Leo's, that it is your fault for parking too far from the curb, for not keeping your lawn within regulations, for your dogs being accused of breaking noise ordinances, for an out of date inspection sticker, for a burnt out tail light, for a million other innocuous things that you are technically in the wrong about.

This coming Police state is brought to you by those who condone police brutality (as long as it isn't in the form of emptying a clip into the back of someones head) Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:26 PM
Jessy Ringquist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, York, PA
Fletch Fuller -

Selling cigarettes is pretty minor but it is illegal and in this case reported by a store owner who had complained about him before. He apparently tossed the evidence when the cops arrived (which NEVER happens *rolls eyes*) and then resisted cops. One cop grabs him around the neck (which regardless of whether it choked him at all, is apparently the definition of a "chokehold") and voila', instant evidence of excessive force.

I expect that level of understanding from the idiots at Huffington Post or TYT, but on a MMA related forum, I would think people would get the idea of what is and what is NOT a "chokehold".

I Mean, as long as someone had complained about it before killing a passively resisting guy is ok. Or do you, as a black belt, not understand cause and effect. Whether it was the choke hold or not that caused that man to die, he was fine BEFORE hands on and dead after. That is unacceptable unless he was an imminent danger to others. And I have yet to see even the most ardent defensers of leos make that argument. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:28 PM
Sofa King Cool
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Turn around, you're under arrest!"

"No! Don't fucking touch me."

"Alright sir, sorry to bother you. Have a good day."

? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:32 PM
Jessy Ringquist

Black Belt, York, PA
Sofa King Cool - "Turn around, you're under arrest!"

? Phone Post 3.0
You are beginning with the premise that cops have the right to arrest you whenever they feel like it. This is incorrect.

Are you aware that citizens have the right to resist illegal imprisonment?

Apparently not.

Yet another lost step for the citizenry as we match toward a police state. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:38 PM
Dogo

Sofa King Cool - "Turn around, you're under arrest!"

? Phone Post 3.0

IMO those cops did a piss poor job of deescalating the situation. In fact, they kind of stood there mutely as the guy got more and more worked up. They provided minimal answers and were essentially looking, at least to me, to get him facing one guy so the other could get behind him.

I've seen plenty of police officers on Cops talk agitated people down and get them cuffed without a physical altercation. These cops didn't even make the minimal effort to do that. Probably because they knew the had enough numbers to bum rush him. But is that really the best approach? To me that seems like it will only create more animosity, even if you don't injure the guy in the process.
7/20/14 4:38 PM
Meastt
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angryinch -
VinegarStrokes - 
Meastt - This is funny....it's clear the cops didn't kill him. They legally effected a arrest...us choice to resist placed his body into a fatally dangerous zone.

That is all.... Phone Post 3.0

People hate cops on the OG everything is their fault ALWAYS. Truth be told the cops could have handled the situation better. But he resisted it's not like they beat him they subdued him and his obesity caused his heart to fail because of the stress he put himself in.

Wait, so the cops didn't put him in the positions which led to his death?  You're saying that he voluntarily deprived himself of oxygen, threw himself on the ground, choked himself with his own hands,  etc..etc...???   lmfao   

This is starting to turn comical.  

You really are dumb and incapable of seeing things outside of your own point of view.

He made a choice to resist....anyone, even a teenager knows that if you resist a police arrest, you will be "fighting" the police to get away.

If two homicide detectives walked into my office and told me I was under arrest for murder, I would comply and get a lawyer.....I know I didn't do it....but that's a mute point at the time of arrest....
Court is where you argue with facts....the street is not the place to fight your case....

Now if you make that choice, you should be prepared to deal with whatever comes with it.....it's basic rules of being an adult. You make a choice, you deal with the consequences.

In this man's case he made the choice of not complying with a legal arrest. In doing so, he placed his very out of shape body and poor health condition into a position where his health was not able to keep up with the pace.

That CHOICE led to that CONSEQUENCE. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 4:46 PM
Team GDP's cancerous testicle
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jessy Ringquist - 

? Phone Post 3.0
You are beginning with the premise that cops have the right to arrest you whenever they feel like it. This is incorrect.

Apparently not.

Yet another lost step for the citizenry as we match toward a police state. Phone Post 3.0

And people like you's inability to see a different point of view is astonishing. I mean, you're a black belt. That's some dedication and hard work. But you see cops arresting a man arrested another 30 times and play illogical head games with the facts.
7/20/14 4:56 PM
Jessy Ringquist

Black Belt, York, PA
Team GDP's cancerous testicle -
Jessy Ringquist - 

? Phone Post 3.0

Apparently not.

And people like you's inability to see a different point of view is astonishing. I mean, you're a black belt. That's some dedication and hard work. But you see cops arresting a man arrested another 30 times and play illogical head games with the facts.
What are the facts again? If I go by your post here they are this: a man was arrested before and thus should be arrested now. Now, I know that is not what you mean, so please, I am listening. What are the facts? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 5:03 PM
Team GDP's cancerous testicle
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jessy Ringquist - 
Team GDP's cancerous testicle -
Jessy Ringquist - 

? Phone Post 3.0

Apparently not.

What are the facts again? If I go by your post here they are this: a man was arrested before and thus should be arrested now. Now, I know that is not what you mean, so please, I am listening. What are the facts? Phone Post 3.0

exactly

you shouldn't go by my post or my opinion, frankly

the guy was arrested THIRTY other times. if there was a video of 3 cops and 1 was tazing him, 1 one beating him with his club and 1 was trying to get him cuffed, everyone's opinion after doing the tiniest amount of research should be 'damn 30 arrests lol ... glad the cops weren't hurt'

when a cop (several) say 'you are under arrest' than you stop whatever bullshit you were doing and get arrested. there's literally no other option.

but than you think "Since when does passive resistance equal the death sentence? " as if it's in any way whatsoever a rational thought in this specific situation.

there is no epidemic in this country the way some ( a lot ) of you here seem to believe
7/20/14 5:05 PM
Jessy Ringquist

Black Belt, York, PA
KneeUpperCut Ios -
Dogo - In those 30 prior arrests, how many times was he charged with resisting? Does anyone know?

The difference this time was that the plaque built up in his arteries happened to reached the threshold necessary to stop blood flow to the heart - just as he was being arrested.
So you are claiming that he would have had the heart attack (if we are to believe coroner) at that time no matter what? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 5:11 PM
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KneeUpperCut Ios - 
Jessy Ringquist - 
KneeUpperCut Ios -
Dogo - In those 30 prior arrests, how many times was he charged with resisting? Does anyone know?

The difference this time was that the plaque built up in his arteries happened to reached the threshold necessary to stop blood flow to the heart - just as he was being arrested.
So you are claiming that he would have had the heart attack (if we are to believe coroner) at that time no matter what? Phone Post 3.0

It's possible. People have heart attacks walking laying in bed, walking to their car, sitting on the couch watching tv, etc, etc, etc.

Had any of those millions of people had their heart attack while being arrested you'd be CERTAIN it was the arrest.

Never go full tard

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.