UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> New Red Wings Arena to be game changer

7/20/14 9:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Official plans were released yesterday for the new Red Wings arena scheduled to be open for the 2017 season.

It will be 3-4 stories below suface level to prevent the "Big Square Box" look of so many other hockey arenas.  Also, the main building will only contain the playing surface and seating areas.  Gone will be the concourse and consessions inside the building.  No offices, ticket offices and other areas.  The will all be housed in  buildings connected by glass covered walkways and atriums.

cross section

Overhead shot

You can see the glass atriums circling the stadium.

The surrounding district will be apartments, condos, restaurants and a hotel

The enitre roof is LED.  They will be able to change the logo, colors, and add animation to fit the event.

Mark

7/20/14 9:09 PM
Mark1

The new hockey arena at the heart of the Ilitch family’s sports and entertainment district could become a trend-setter for arena designnationwide.

The still-unnamed arena, slated to open in 2017, will be innovativein several key ways:

? Deconstructed design: Most arenas are built as a big box with the playing surface and seating ringed by concourses, concession stands, team offices and restaurants. But the new arena will be “deconstructed” with the outer-ring functions moved into structures just set off or pulled away from the core inner playing surface and seats. They won’t be separate buildings, but linked by a first-ever interior streetscape.

? Glass covered streetscape: The area between the seating bowl and the outer buildings will be covered by glass to create a “covered via,” or interior streetscape, filled with trees, retail, dining and other amenities. Bridges and walkways will connect the outer buildings to the seating bowl through this covered interior street.

7/20/14 9:09 PM
Mark1

Christopher Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings, said the covered via will be open year-round, not just on game or event days, and could play host to a variety of daytime or nighttime events. Like any good urban street, it will be designed to be walkable, with flexible programming, and to be “a very festive area. ... The net effect is a very energetic, very exciting space,” Ilitch said.

? Lighted roof design: The roof of the arena will be fashioned with the most modern programmable lighting so that different images can be produced for a given event. In the rendering provided by Olympia Development, the roof shows the Red Wings logo as it will on hockey nights. But the roof could be green for St. Patrick’s Day or something else for a concert by Kid Rock or Eminem, Ilitch said. He described the desired effect as “classy, not gaudy.”

? Playing surface: The playing surface will be set about 32 feet below ground level to lower the profile of the building, producing a more human-scale environment in the district where most buildings will rise just two to four stories. That follows the practice at Comerica Park and Ford Field, where the playing surfaces were set below ground level.

Ilitch said the impact will be similar to when Camden Yards opened in 1992 in Baltimore. The fan-friendly retro stadium where Major League Baseball’s Baltimore Orioles play became the standard for new professional baseball stadium construction.

“This is a paradigm shift. ... We’re not building an arena the way arenas have been built in America over the last 20, 30 years.” Ilitch said.

This won’t be the first time Detroit potentially creates a new trend in sports design. In 1988, the Palace of Auburn Hills, designed by the Rossetti architectural firm, opened as the new home of the Detroit Pistons. It set a trend by moving the luxury boxes much closer to the playing surface. Prior to that, luxury boxes had been set up high above all the other seating. The innovation quickly caught on nationally.

Ilitch predicted the arena with its innovative roof will become a key landmark for the community.

“When you’re flying over Detroit or if you’re in one of the downtown skyscrapers and you’re looking down on this district, that’s part of the romance of an urban setting. It’s things like this that give you a romance that you can’t find anywhere else,” he said.

7/20/14 9:20 PM
Johnny Eightball

Not going to lie, looks cool Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:24 PM
MediumRareMistake
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad ass Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:26 PM
Whambo
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it.
7/20/14 9:29 PM
BJTT-ComeHonorFace
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That looks fucking awesome!!! Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:43 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will it still be in Detroit?
7/20/14 9:46 PM
Pat Giles

alley - Will it still be in Detroit?
Yes. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:48 PM
Stu Cazzo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will join the "Ruins of Detroit" thread soon after. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:53 PM
HeyMarkIt1886
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how much public cash is going to be spent on this thing. If I was a Detroit resident I'd be pissed Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:58 PM
Harmon Whistler
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeyMarkIt1886 - I wonder how much public cash is going to be spent on this thing. If I was a Detroit resident I'd be pissed Phone Post 3.0

I agree, but really there isn't much that city has to be proud of.

The Wings are a dynasty.
7/20/14 9:58 PM
Mark1

HeyMarkIt1886 - I wonder how much public cash is going to be spent on this thing. If I was a Detroit resident I'd be pissed Phone Post 3.0
No Detroit general funds are being used. The state is issuing bonds for like $400mil. Illitch is committing $250 mil of his own cash

Mark Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 9:59 PM
The Green Arrow

If they want hockey to be interesting, they better completely 'change the game'.

7/20/14 10:00 PM
HeyMarkIt1886
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True but all these cities scramble to use public money to fund privately profitable businesses and it's just a scam.

Lol at being vd'ed for my post. Fuck you ya goof. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:00 PM
HeyMarkIt1886

Really Mark? Zero? No tax incentives at all? That is public money. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:04 PM
Chocolate Shatner
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Detroit needs heroes...
7/20/14 10:04 PM
Jambo888
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow. that looks freaking awesome

7/20/14 10:05 PM
Floppy Divac
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is awesome.
Mark1

HeyMarkIt1886 - True but all these cities scramble to use public money to fund privately profitable businesses and it's just a scam.

Lol at being vd'ed for my post. Fuck you ya goof. Phone Post 3.0
I don't mind bonds floated for infrastructure projects. Particularly in areas like where the stadium is being built.

Would you rather they build office buildings and give tax subsidies to relocated businesses? Or sink money into public transit ideas that are money losing operations?

If it improves infrastructure, then I am in support of it for the most part.

Mark Phone Post 3.0
rufus
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 -
HeyMarkIt1886 - I wonder how much public cash is going to be spent on this thing. If I was a Detroit resident I'd be pissed Phone Post 3.0
No Detroit general funds are being used. The state is issuing bonds for like $400mil. Illitch is committing $250 mil of his own cash

Mark Phone Post 3.0
I'm sure the people in the UP are happy to be paying for that. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:08 PM
Gritty
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty fucking sick arena Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:08 PM
Mark1

rufus -
Mark1 -

Mark Phone Post 3.0
I'm sure the people in the UP are happy to be paying for that. Phone Post 3.0
All 400 of them?

You don't think there are publicly funded projects in the UP that are funded by state funds?

Mark Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:27 PM
HeyMarkIt1886

I agree when it comes to infrastructure but see pro sports arenas as outside that. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/14 10:34 PM
sewich
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless they offer free admission stadiums should be 100% paid for by the team.
The amount of money MN is shelling out for the vikings new stadium and how the team basically said "pay up or we are moving to LA" makes me not even want to watch them. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.