UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Does your Academy have a kids program?

7/29/14 7:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know not all BJJ schools do. If yours doesn't, why not? If it does, how successful is it? Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 9:19 AM
Josh Mancuso
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
Yes, my daughter just started. Hoping she sticks with it. Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 9:31 AM
Kneeblock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Mancuso - Yes, my daughter just started. Hoping she sticks with it. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for the reply. How old is she? Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 9:33 AM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
She is 11 but some kids are as young as 7 Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 9:44 AM
KidPittsburgh
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. It actually just started.
Before, we used to include kids into the more kid-friendly classes (as it related to time; like the Saturday classes, and not the later weekday classes)and try to pair them up with someone of a similar size. Our school encouraged the kids to do karate first, before BJJ, to learn how to act in a martial arts setting, but wouldn't discourage anyone away who really wanted to train BJJ.

But, as stated, we recently started two classes strictly for kids and from what I understand it's wildly successful.
7/29/14 10:13 AM
Sir Taps
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, London, England
Yep, from the very beginning. About 150 kids, spread over 2 locations. Ages from 4 upwards, split over 3 classes (cubs, juniors, and teens). Cubs are 4-6, juniors 7-11, teens 12 upwards.

James
7/29/14 10:28 AM
Meatgrinder
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

Yeah... I'm not really sure about the numbers b/c due to the after school times they don't really cross paths with the adults. Maybe 40-50? I think one of the difficulties is having instructors... Most of those classes are during normal business working hours. It also takes a lot of energy and enthusiasm... Tough for just one person to do day in and day out.

7/29/14 10:34 AM
Ryan Prouty
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Peoria, IL

We have a VERY successful kids program. Based on the BullyProof stuff. I swear it seems like we have 300 kids in there with better takedowns than I have LOL. But we prob have 30 or so kids signed up right now. They are great!

Also props to head BJJ instrustor and owner of the Peoria Athletic Club Brad Peplow for taking on this class. Its some seriously hard work to do this. But he is improving a lot of kids lives!

7/29/14 10:42 AM
BigEyedFish
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Niagara Falls, ON

if I had more free time mine would.  

7/29/14 8:18 PM
angrypirate
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. It's a pretty good size class for the area. We have 3 blackbelt owned schools within a 10 mile radius, they have about the same attendance. Around 10 -15 kids in the little kids class which start @ 5 and go up to 10, my son is 3 and he's the smallest in there. About the same as the big kids class which goes from 11 to 15. The older kids seem to have more activities going on outside of the gym: team sports, band etc. so it fluctuates a lot.
7/29/14 9:10 PM
seedheaduprg
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, we have about 50 kids.  2 different classes broken up into 2 different age groups, 6-8 yrs old (a couple of 5 yr olds in there) and 9-15 yrs.  Mon-Thurs training.  kids team took 1st at an all kids tournament last month.  Black belt teaches with assistance from me and a few other blue belts.

7/29/14 10:00 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you can teach kids ,you can teach anyone
7/29/14 10:39 PM
jacktripper

Can a school succeed long term without a kids program? Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 11:50 PM
seedheaduprg
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - if you can teach kids ,you can teach anyone

teaching kids is one of the hardest, most exhausting things I have ever done in my life. lol

7/30/14 1:51 AM
shen
1063 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/31/14 1:20 AM
Black Belt, Torrance, CA

No... Stupid Megan's Law

7/30/14 2:27 AM
Terry Maxwell
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Sacramento, CA

We do have a strong kds program at my school. We have been averaging between 20-30 kids per class. After years of trial and error, I have finally figured out the best method of teaching kids for us. (least exhausting while producing results)

We divide the class, I take the 4-7 age group and Davin takes the 8-12 age group.

With the small guys, we concentrate on very basic concepts revolving around mount, side control and back take with seat belt and hooks.

The 8-12 group receive much more technical training.

Class starts with quick warmup of only about 5 minutes, 25 minutes of technique and 30 min of sparring @ 4 min rounds.The kids LOVE sparring.

We don't waste time with games as I don't feel it's conducive to improving BJJ. For the kids, sparring is playing and they seem to love it.

7/31/14 11:48 AM
Mark Bradford
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Los Angeles, CA
We'd love a big kids program, but it pretty non existent. I can't compete price wise with the PAL and YMCA down the street. Phone Post 3.0
7/31/14 8:03 PM
seedheaduprg

Terry Maxwell - 

We do have a strong kds program at my school. We have been averaging between 20-30 kids per class. After years of trial and error, I have finally figured out the best method of teaching kids for us. (least exhausting while producing results)

We divide the class, I take the 4-7 age group and Davin takes the 8-12 age group.

With the small guys, we concentrate on very basic concepts revolving around mount, side control and back take with seat belt and hooks.

Class starts with quick warmup of only about 5 minutes, 25 minutes of technique and 30 min of sparring @ 4 min rounds.The kids LOVE sparring.

We don't waste time with games as I don't feel it's conducive to improving BJJ. For the kids, sparring is playing and they seem to love it.

We play BJJ related games. The best is called zombies.  All the kids crawl away from the zombie coaches, if caught they have to perform the move of the day (i.e. mount escape, armbar etc), then crawl away/reset.  So there's BJJ productive games out there. 

8/1/14 9:47 PM
Kneeblock

12 - if you can teach kids ,you can teach anyone
Agreed Phone Post 3.0
8/1/14 9:58 PM
Mike Wazowski
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when I retire, I plan on teaching kids for free.

we have a kids bjj, judo, and kyokushin class (separate classes for each art).

decent sized classes. I have my sons in judo as I would like them to develop that before groundwork.
8/1/14 11:34 PM
kying418
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I run my academy as a side job/hobby and I am also a single parent of three young kids (split custody 50/50).

The last thing I want to do is teach other kids and drive myself even nuttier!

8/2/14 12:23 AM
flemingo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes dunno much about it
8/2/14 3:02 AM
Terry Maxwell
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Sacramento, CA
seedheaduprg - 
Terry Maxwell - 

We play BJJ related games. The best is called zombies.  All the kids crawl away from the zombie coaches, if caught they have to perform the move of the day (i.e. mount escape, armbar etc), then crawl away/reset.  So there's BJJ productive games out there. 

To each their own.

Like I said, after years of trial n error we found this works best for US. We did play games years ago, but I quickly realized that it was not the most efficient use of time in a short one hour class. We are a competition based academy and games like tag, Zombies, etc. eat too much valuable time that can be utilized by drilling or rolling.

Parents don't pay good money for their kids to play Zombies with me. Point blank, they want their kids to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that is what we do.

I realize that everyone has their own style and method, that's why I emphasized "this works best for us".

8/2/14 9:19 AM
rocklos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I run my own academy(lakecountybjj) and we have a kids program.

I do play games with the kids but games that applicable to BJJ or to at least improve their fitness level.

But I do agree that I am getting paid to teach jiu-jitsu and not have the kids run around 50 minutes and give 10 min of tech.

Sometimes I promise them if they do a good job drilling the technique I will let them play but usually ends being the last 5 minutes of class....LOL
8/3/14 7:41 PM
seedheaduprg

Terry Maxwell - 
seedheaduprg - 
Terry Maxwell - 

To each their own.

Like I said, after years of trial n error we found this works best for US. We did play games years ago, but I quickly realized that it was not the most efficient use of time in a short one hour class. We are a competition based academy and games like tag, Zombies, etc. eat too much valuable time that can be utilized by drilling or rolling.

Parents don't pay good money for their kids to play Zombies with me. Point blank, they want their kids to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that is what we do.

I realize that everyone has their own style and method, that's why I emphasized "this works best for us".

I understand as we are a comp based team also, kids always do well in tournaments.  Winning the 1st place team trophy at the last tournament.  But we also focus on "self-defense" with our kids.  But Im willing to hear more about your program, maybe I can learn a little.   Mind if I PM you?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.