UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Does your Academy have a kids program?

8/5/14 8:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CauliEars
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have a great kids program....2x IBJJF Pan Kids Champs
8/5/14 9:02 AM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jacktripper - Can a school succeed long term without a kids program? Phone Post 3.0

For real! thats what I thought when I saw this as well. The best most loyal revenue stream there is a kids program. Parents pay on time and are invested in there kids a lot more than most adults are invested in themselves or jiu jitsu. plus those kids turn into adults and a fair amount stay on, come back, or bring their kids later.
8/5/14 9:10 AM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Maxwell - 
seedheaduprg - 
Terry Maxwell - 

We do have a strong kds program at my school. We have been averaging between 20-30 kids per class. After years of trial and error, I have finally figured out the best method of teaching kids for us. (least exhausting while producing results)

We divide the class, I take the 4-7 age group and Davin takes the 8-12 age group.

With the small guys, we concentrate on very basic concepts revolving around mount, side control and back take with seat belt and hooks.

The 8-12 group receive much more technical training.

Class starts with quick warmup of only about 5 minutes, 25 minutes of technique and 30 min of sparring @ 4 min rounds.The kids LOVE sparring.

We don't waste time with games as I don't feel it's conducive to improving BJJ. For the kids, sparring is playing and they seem to love it.

We play BJJ related games. The best is called zombies.  All the kids crawl away from the zombie coaches, if caught they have to perform the move of the day (i.e. mount escape, armbar etc), then crawl away/reset.  So there's BJJ productive games out there. 

To each their own.

Like I said, after years of trial n error we found this works best for US. We did play games years ago, but I quickly realized that it was not the most efficient use of time in a short one hour class. We are a competition based academy and games like tag, Zombies, etc. eat too much valuable time that can be utilized by drilling or rolling.

Parents don't pay good money for their kids to play Zombies with me. Point blank, they want their kids to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that is what we do.

I realize that everyone has their own style and method, that's why I emphasized "this works best for us".

I've migrated from the skill based games to a more serious straight forward method the longer I've taught kids. I was still not as structured as I could of been though.

Then we had the one of the heads of the Ribeiro association come out and he taught a kids class and it was a real eye opener. No messing around, very serious and hard nosed, the kids ate it up!

Since I switched to his format the kids have gotten so much better.
8/5/14 11:40 AM
Terry Maxwell
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Sacramento, CA
Judo Scott - 
Terry Maxwell - 
seedheaduprg - 
Terry Maxwell - 

We do have a strong kds program at my school. We have been averaging between 20-30 kids per class. After years of trial and error, I have finally figured out the best method of teaching kids for us. (least exhausting while producing results)

We divide the class, I take the 4-7 age group and Davin takes the 8-12 age group.

With the small guys, we concentrate on very basic concepts revolving around mount, side control and back take with seat belt and hooks.

Class starts with quick warmup of only about 5 minutes, 25 minutes of technique and 30 min of sparring @ 4 min rounds.The kids LOVE sparring.

We don't waste time with games as I don't feel it's conducive to improving BJJ. For the kids, sparring is playing and they seem to love it.

We play BJJ related games. The best is called zombies.  All the kids crawl away from the zombie coaches, if caught they have to perform the move of the day (i.e. mount escape, armbar etc), then crawl away/reset.  So there's BJJ productive games out there. 

To each their own.

Like I said, after years of trial n error we found this works best for US. We did play games years ago, but I quickly realized that it was not the most efficient use of time in a short one hour class. We are a competition based academy and games like tag, Zombies, etc. eat too much valuable time that can be utilized by drilling or rolling.

Parents don't pay good money for their kids to play Zombies with me. Point blank, they want their kids to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that is what we do.

I realize that everyone has their own style and method, that's why I emphasized "this works best for us".

I've migrated from the skill based games to a more serious straight forward method the longer I've taught kids. I was still not as structured as I could of been though.

Then we had the one of the heads of the Ribeiro association come out and he taught a kids class and it was a real eye opener. No messing around, very serious and hard nosed, the kids ate it up!

This, exactly!

8/5/14 9:15 PM
seedheaduprg
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Maxwell - 
Judo Scott - 
Terry Maxwell - 
seedheaduprg - 
Terry Maxwell - 

To each their own.

This, exactly!

Interesting.  I wish we were able to all sit in on each others classes and see things first hand.

8/5/14 9:38 PM
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've taught kids martial arts 24 years ,and have always taught stand-up(boxing,kickboxing,tkd) and grappling,wrestling,judo,break dancing!The dancers place at most tournaments lol
8/6/14 4:06 PM
Soul Fighter Reese
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I teach kids at 2 academies and can say they are an integral part of revenue for the academy, plus are a long term investment for any academy. For a new academy, or a start up it's a great way to build a team from the ground up. Where it becomes difficult sometimes is keeping interest when competing with school sports if their friends are not involved at the academy. We are fortunate to have support from our local school district and athletic director so we get a lot of referrals. Teaching kids is fun, and demanding but the rewards are awesome if you can keep them long term and watch them grow thru Jiu Jitsu. We try to keep it 6yrs and above but I let any age try a class, and base it on their attention span. Jiu Jitsus an easy sell to most parents when they consider the liabilities and potential for injury in striking arts, plus BJJ's proven success in self defense. Good luck if you decide to go with it.
8/8/14 12:37 PM
rocklos
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/08/14 12:40 PM
I wanted to make a thread about this but I decide to jump on this one. The question now is how do you build up the kids program?? My program is small we only have 6 kids been open since February, I would like to add more. How do I go about doing that? I've tried to email schools to try and do a demo or at least jump in for a gym class. I've emailed numerous schools and numerous people at schools to no response. I understand that my email probably got lost in the shuffle. Do you guys have any other suggestions?? Doing a program through the park district for the fall already hopefully that will help.

We've tried ads on facebook and nothing really.
8/8/14 1:02 PM
Judo Scott

Google Adwords works well for online Facebook sucks

Word of mouth is the best thing though for kids. oOffer a refer a friend incentive to the parents.
8/8/14 7:48 PM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seedheaduprg - 
12 - if you can teach kids ,you can teach anyone

teaching kids is one of the hardest, most exhausting things I have ever done in my life. lol

just teaching a 1 hour class burns me out, but its also one of the best feelings when you see them win a tournament
8/9/14 4:55 PM
Kneeblock
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a youth development guy my sense is that what parents want isn't as important as what youth want. I think kids programs that eschew gamification for competition focus too early will ultimately see higher attrition.

Competition bjj is also just painfully boring until they're teens. Phone Post 3.0
8/9/14 5:45 PM
TheBearStare
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seedheaduprg -
12 - if you can teach kids ,you can teach anyone

teaching kids is one of the hardest, most exhausting things I have ever done in my life. lol

I work with kids and teens but I'm actually scared to teach bjj to kids. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/14 1:40 AM
Judo Scott

Kneeblock - As a youth development guy my sense is that what parents want isn't as important as what youth want. I think kids programs that eschew gamification for competition focus too early will ultimately see higher attrition.

Competition bjj is also just painfully boring until they're teens. Phone Post 3.0

Been the opposite for us. Kids love to compete man
8/11/14 1:56 AM
FanToFighter
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Growing Gorillas six days a week! Phone Post 3.0
8/12/14 6:53 PM
Tehunamatata
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.