UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Getting burnt out of jiu jitsu?

7/29/14 9:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dazed
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ever get burnt out of jiu jitsu?

I've been doing jiu jitsu for 6 years and I'm starting to feel very lazy and burnt out when it comes to training.

Doing technique is monotonous to me, the passion I used to have has been missing for a long time. I still like to roll but overall I don't find myself looking forward to going to jiu jitsu class. It feels like a chore and an obligation at the same time. Sometimes I honestly feel like dropping it and just lifting weights and working my physique.

What the hell do I do in this situation? Is it possible to get the fire back that I once felt for the art?
7/29/14 9:34 PM
10eroftheyear
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take some time off, I imagine after 6 years you're probably purple/brown level? Take a couple months off and lift, rock climb, mountain bike. You'll get the passion back when you're watching a ufc event or metamoris or when someone you work with asks you "Hey man you do that fighting stuff right?"...

It'll come back, give it some time. Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 9:49 PM
Dazed
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah only recently got a blue in the Gi

My JJ started with 10th planet and my instructors have always only been 1 belt ahead of me

7/29/14 10:05 PM
PittBJJ
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just take a month off and see what happens. I have never burnt out yet but due to injuries and what not have had to take some time off in the past and everytime I am even more excited to return to the mat.

7/30/14 1:10 AM
emu67
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got burnt out after 12 years of practice. I wasn't progressing so I must have mentally checked out a few years before. It's strange; after 5 years I feel like I want to go back but I no longer have a drive to go there. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/14 1:30 AM
TheBearStare
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know your exact situation so I'm going to generalize. I've been at it since 2000. Bjj changes after a while. You reach a point where u won't be learning flashy new stuff every class. That's not to say you won't be learning but the type of learning will shift. It becomes a grind. Personally, I learned to love the monotony. It's a mantra of sorts that you just keep repeating that brings some peace. I don't know what your training environment is like, u did mention your teachers barely being ahead of you. I don't know if that's a factor or if it's just purely mental and burn out on your end. Also keep in mind there is nothing wrong if you've moved on from bjj. Though I'd encourage you to give it some more time. Best of luck. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/14 1:30 AM
falsecrack
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try wrestling or boxing or judo or foot locks or something you haven't really been training. pick your worst position/area and try to strengthen it. mix it up
7/30/14 1:49 AM
shen
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/30/14 6:36 PM
Black Belt, Torrance, CA

It can be hard to re-ignite that spark. Here's what's worked for me...

1. Try to remember what drew you to jiu-jitsu in the first place.

2. Try to spend some time apart. If you are training everyday, it can feel like a chore. Skip a few days, Remember: absence makes the heart grow fonder.

3. Add an element of mystery or suprise. Illegal leg locks? Reaping? --do it when no one is looking!

4. Have separate bathrooms. Nothing breeds boredom like familiarity. Having separate bathrooms will help keep the "mystery" alive and keep you and jiu jitsu from turning into old roomies.

5. Play. Get silly. Make up goofy submissions and invent crazy names for them --just ones you and jiu-jitsu know about . It's YOUR time together, just the two of you, so have some fun!

6. Once a day, tell jiu-jitsu you love it --and mean it-- but just once a day. You don't want the words to lose meaning.

GOOD LUCK!!!

7/30/14 2:00 AM
lets get dangerous
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^but jiujitsu cheated on me with another guy how do I forgive her? Phone Post 3.0
7/30/14 2:35 AM
Terry Maxwell
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Sacramento, CA

Can't relate.  After 21 years, I love it just as much today as I did the very first day, only in different ways.

7/30/14 2:42 AM
shen
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Torrance, CA
lets get dangerous - ^^but jiujitsu cheated on me with another guy how do I forgive her? Phone Post 3.0

You have to forgive.

Look, I'm not saying jiu-jitsu is perfect and I'm not saying it will be easy --no way. But you have to realize forgiving BJJ is about not letting the hurt jiu-jitsu caused, control YOUR life.

You play some part in it too... maybe you visited a luta livre school once when on vacation in rio, maybe you were searching the internet for Muay thi Schools and BJJ found out. Whatever. You played a part. Forgive and move on or let the hurt control your life. It's up to you.

7/30/14 6:58 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!....damn GM Shen FTW!

Yeah, I did. So I spent a lot of time training knife and playing judo. When I started to see where I could apply related concepts from tachiwaza practice I started to enjoy matwork again.

Later when I got injured I discoved enjoyment in positional sparring. So ACL recovery and later shoulder reapir, MCL rupture, arthritic hip, etc have taught me to enjoy being able focus on refine the things I should know, rather than worrying about learning new stuff. Training became more fun and I would try new things on my own timetable. This powered me through from purple to brown belt

Teaching makes training enjoyable too. Seeing people you helped improve makes you feel good and motivates you to improve. This was how I spent brown belt.

MAybe you taking training too seriously. You want to get better and feel that pressure to "win" in training. Approach training as exploratory rather thn a competitive encounter. Think conceptually....look for ways to screwup your opponent rather than trying to get the tap on them. It's funny seeing someone get frustrated :p

Or maybe you're tired of it and only joined for some external motivator that no longer exists, in which case walking away is best thing if there is no enjoyment in training.
7/30/14 7:08 AM
A_Butler
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same here. It's been 8 years and I have my on and off periods. I just turned 30 so it's time for me to pay attention to just body a little more. I like to drink beer on the weekends, just a couple really good ones, and they don't go away like they use to. So I've been doing the lifting thing for a while to keep my girlish figure in check. Most of my training now is teaching some friends, drilling some basic stuff with them, and just rolling. I have taken time off and it always helps. But never more than like a month. After a month I start feeling weird until I go back. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/14 7:18 AM
Berserker
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Richmond, VA

Almost 11 years for me now and once in a blue moon I will feel a little burned out from body aches, exhaustion, kids, chores, work...all that shit adds up. I typicallly train 4 times a week and lift the rest of the days so when I feel something hurt, instead of pushing thru it and making it worse, I take a couple of weeks off to mentally and physcially revamp myself.

Works for me but like Jiu Jitsu, you have to do what is right for your body and mind.

7/30/14 8:10 AM
acm5060

I lost the passion for bjj a long time ago. I tell people now I like it, but I don't love it. This is coming from at one point in my life thinking I was going to quit my job and only train bjj competitively.

I think bjj has to take on a different meaning for you at a certain point. When I was in my early stages, it was all about learning, sparring, progressing and that was a lot of fun because there was ample opportunity for all items cited.

However, at a certain point, the slop of the learning curve is not nearly as steep, sparring gets monotonous, and you realize you'd prolly be poor teaching bjj.

So now it's a place, for me, to hang out with some cool people, relieve stress, stay in shape, and develop positive traits as a human being.

Similar to what other people have posted, when I started adding wrestling and other general grappling things outside of standard bjj realm, it would reignite some enthusiasm. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 5:35 PM
Dazed

I think my plan is this

Get some new gear. Get a new Gi, shorts, rash guard and tights. I'm going to try and compete again, and if I can't get back into it then I'm going to take a month off while I go back to school in September

If none of that works then I'm at a loss for words
8/6/14 6:07 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time off helps a lot.

Also remember that everything you do in the academy is just practice. No pressure to be a super killer.

I like to think of it the same way I did high school baseball. It was more fun at practice when I was just focusing on improving my swing or my fielding techniques with the focus on just getting it right rather than trying to take a guy's spot, or be the best player.

Also keep it fun. Shooting the shit during catch sessions and goofing around while shagging fly balls kept the mood light, and were ultimately what meant more to me in the long run than whether or not I went yard to the opposite field during batting PRACTICE.

Your time should be spent just enjoying the act of learning something without letting it consume you. Unless you're preparing for a tournament there's nothing that should be taken too seriously. Just show up, hang with the fellas, learn as best you can, get a sweat in and not worry too much.
8/6/14 6:15 PM
AllAmericana

If you don't enjoy it, don't feel bad about stopping. Just because you trained as long as you have doesn't mean you have to train anymore in the future.

If you stop, and don't feel like coming back, isn't that perfect because you'll be happier doing whatever new activity fills your time? If you stop and want to come back, then just come back. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 9:39 PM
redenstein
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you tried competing?
8/6/14 11:31 PM
onyx2002
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If at all possible try an open mat tour of your area. Now that bjj is not some strange weird animal and you are OK with tapping it is fun to go an visit other gyms and experience other ways of doing things. Even if you have travel a bit. Try it out, a lot of times you have certain things as an experienced blue belt that you are pretty good at but day after day at the same academy rolling with the same 5 guys they learn to counter everything you have so you feel stale and lifeless. When you hit your favorite sweep or submission on a fresh body it can reignite stuff. Also you know when you visit you are likely to get some tough rolls so your butterflies will come back like the old days.
8/6/14 11:38 PM
TalkShowOnMute
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel you there..I'm on a similar path..I've been training off and on at different places since 2003 or so...started gi in 2007...a blue since June 2008. (3 stripe now). A 6 year blue belt.

I haven't trained in about a year. I've had a few year long layoffs since getting my blue.

Finally a year later I'm getting the itch again. I'm back in just this month.

There are still a lot of things about the current state of jiu jitsu that I don't care for...But I'm over that. I'm just going to ignore the stuff I don't like...play and improve my game...not worry about belts or ranks or what others are doing.

This thinking has been the key for me.

You just have to find the key that lets you want to do it again. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 4:36 AM
The Mat Pimp
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is bes fight in world fren
8/7/14 5:21 AM
Robobear
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sgt. Slaphead - LOL!....damn GM Shen FTW!

Yeah, I did. So I spent a lot of time training knife and playing judo. When I started to see where I could apply related concepts from tachiwaza practice I started to enjoy matwork again.

Later when I got injured I discoved enjoyment in positional sparring. So ACL recovery and later shoulder reapir, MCL rupture, arthritic hip, etc have taught me to enjoy being able focus on refine the things I should know, rather than worrying about learning new stuff. Training became more fun and I would try new things on my own timetable. This powered me through from purple to brown belt

Teaching makes training enjoyable too. Seeing people you helped improve makes you feel good and motivates you to improve. This was how I spent brown belt.

MAybe you taking training too seriously. You want to get better and feel that pressure to "win" in training. Approach training as exploratory rather thn a competitive encounter. Think conceptually....look for ways to screwup your opponent rather than trying to get the tap on them. It's funny seeing someone get frustrated :p

Or maybe you're tired of it and only joined for some external motivator that no longer exists, in which case walking away is best thing if there is no enjoyment in training.

So......................no berimbolo or worm guard for you then?

But tell the next young buck you roll with, "If I can hold mount for 10 seconds, I can cut you ear to ear with this Karambit".

8/7/14 10:35 AM
LittleC
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Five year brown belt here, couldn't be more burnt out.

Started training @ 14, 27 now. I assumed I would open a school one day, but now I know I don't have the personality or "want" to run a school.

I've had time away from training for a year in the Coast Guard, and this past year I have been a ghost. I did some drugs for a while in the early/mid 20's so I was only training just for the enjoyment, not because I was trying to win tournaments.

About a year ago I reached the point where I was tired of waking up sore and broke everyday. I started to resent a lot of what I saw in the BJJ community as well.

I'm taking time off to go to community college for computer programming. Best decision I ever made. I can take even a few years off and be alright, but I know I have start thinking about making money and my future. If I pick anything up before I finish school, it'll be at the boxing gym down the street.
8/7/14 11:23 AM
AllAmericana

When I played lacrosse no-one was worried about people quitting. If someone is done playing, no problem.

When I trained jiujitsu if you take a week off training you get shit. Very odd IMO.

There's a lot to it but I do think that it's sometimes seeking validation for one's own decisions to beat their body to shit and ignore life off the mats. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.