UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Getting burnt out of jiu jitsu?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/7/14 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Robobear
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Train the guys under you to "kill the master".  Over the years, the hungry blues, purples have kept me motivated to keep training and stay somewhat in shape.

8/7/14 5:28 PM
The Mat Pimp
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good advice from Robobear; another thing that is fun is to try rolling with people from other grappling disciplines like judo and folkstyle. They approach positions differently and have different strengths and weaknesses to help keep things fun and interesting.
8/7/14 5:31 PM
ECM
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen -

It can be hard to re-ignite that spark. Here's what's worked for me...

1. Try to remember what drew you to jiu-jitsu in the first place.

2. Try to spend some time apart. If you are training everyday, it can feel like a chore. Skip a few days, Remember: absence makes the heart grow fonder.

3. Add an element of mystery or suprise. Illegal leg locks? Reaping? --do it when no one is looking!

4. Have separate bathrooms. Nothing breeds boredom like familiarity. Having separate bathrooms will help keep the "mystery" alive and keep you and jiu jitsu from turning into old roomies.

5. Play. Get silly. Make up goofy submissions and invent crazy names for them --just ones you and jiu-jitsu know about . It's YOUR time together, just the two of you, so have some fun!

6. Once a day, tell jiu-jitsu you love it --and mean it-- but just once a day. You don't want the words to lose meaning.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hahahahaha! Perfect Phone Post 3.0
4/15/15 11:12 PM
Dazed
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still kind of floating around, trying to re-kindle my fire. I really wish I was motivated to train more.... maybe I need to start competing again. I need to try drastic measures before it is completely dead inside me
4/15/15 11:27 PM
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stop training,go to the beginners classes and teach a little one or 2 days a week.try that for a month
4/15/15 11:44 PM
Slickflow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got bored, i started doing leg locks an now im inlove again. Phone Post 3.0
4/15/15 11:48 PM
circusmonkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. Maybe watch the Mendes bros destroy their opponents at the Rickson Cup to remind you what is possible.
4/15/15 11:50 PM
TexDeuce
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start judo. It's fun as hell and a whole new ballgame. Try working a totally new element that you never work on. Take off a year. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/15 12:05 AM
CraftyHobo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was getting a little tired of my game a few months ago. Started working single leg x, which was entirely foreign to me. Now I'm sitting at home fantasising about training where I can work these new sweeps. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/15 12:23 AM
TexDeuce
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crafty hobo I'm the same. I never worked much half guard and I bought the Bernardo Faria deep half DVD from Dijitsu and I have been working that non stop. Frustrating as hell at first but now I am actually pulling off his sweep he does to everyone. Been working his counters and all of a sudden they start working. Now I go home and watch the DVD and can't wait to get back into class and do my best imitation of Bernardo Faria. Most fun I have had in a long time. Phone Post
4/16/15 9:32 AM
SlapUsilly
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Netcong, NJ
circusmonkey - No. Maybe watch the Mendes bros destroy their opponents at the Rickson Cup to remind you what is possible.

Watching that video really does get my spirits up to go train when i feel burnt out.. which is a lot lately.

Then i go try what they do  in the video and nothing works.  :)
4/16/15 9:51 AM
Judo Scott
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/15 9:52 AM
Somedays my only motivation to go to jiu jitsu is to see my friends and be around positive people. I wouldnt want to lose those relationships I have built up over the years so I go. There are lots of reasons to go it doesn't always have to be about getting better. Getting better is just a byproduct.
4/16/15 10:19 AM
josealdoWOOOOO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just sing the song 'I miss you' by blink 182 but i replace ' i miss you' with 'jiu jitsu' Phone Post 3.0
4/16/15 6:21 PM
chandler2911
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I reckon line 3-4(or whatever suits your lifestyle) comps up spaced out through the year and train really hard for them and see how you go.. Competing keeps me motivated.. I'm fairly new to the sport but since I have started competing I know that is what will keep me motivated through my journey.. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/15 1:30 AM
future_jabroni
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cross training was suggested by others and I agree. I'm currently on a two month hiatus from bjj because of work and expenses. I was also kind of burnt out on it because it felt a little too "sporty". Deep down I knew that my striking was lousy and it needs work. I expect to get back into it in a month or so but this time around I'm going back to training mma for a while. To me, cross training keeps things a lot more interesting.
4/17/15 3:07 PM
John Nic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brown belt here

i used to walk to class in terrible Canadian winters as a blue belt which would take me 30-40 minutes. I'd bundle up like I was in Antarctica and walk back most days after class.

I would train every day, even when I had a shitty instructor and shitty training partners. I just loved doing it and didn't really know what else to do. I did well in tournaments and I enjoyed being a part of something.

Slowly I became closer friends with some guys I'm best friends with today, and it made the experience that much better.

I kept progressing at purple belt, but at this point I was getting high before class every day and just being lazy. I ALWAYS wanted the black belt. That was the goal since the beginning. But realistically.. I mean, I could never see myself getting into a fight and knew more than most people.. why bother?

Sacrificing everything for jiu jitus including declining good job opportunities because it interfered with training, being broke, not taking my work seriously to never move up, etc.. I didn't know why I was continuing.

Then I quit smoking weed, travelled to train at an amazing place, met some really influential people, high level grapplers that smoked me with ease while I was used to being really good without trying, and that changed my mind.

I have work to do.

Since then I've dedicated all my time to jiu jitsu and I love all of it. Yeah, some days suck, like when there are 25 white belts on the mat and 5 color belts and I get shitty matches all day. But I love it overall.

I know what it CAN be and what one day it WILL be. In the mean time I just concentrate on my own ability, research the top guys games, drill different techniques, play different games, and got rid of any other desires.

I'm trying to get back into school to take a different career, which will no doubt limit my training if successful, but in the meantime I just love what I'm doing.

If someone asked me why you love it? I can't really put a reason to it easily. I don't care about money, about having nice things, I have everything I need and I don't want to live the lifestyle of "work a job that is meh or OK because you want to pay off a 30year mortgage"

I dont want to die living a life that is the same as the masses. I want to do what I love and never let the dream die.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.