UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Time to blackbelt

8/6/14 1:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TOSH COOK
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Fresno, CA

16 years.  Worth every damn day.

8/6/14 6:38 AM
Sir Taps
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, London, England
I think today's black belts are as good on the mat as ones from years gone by, but for the majority, they have less knowledge about the self defence and vale tudo side of things (when I first started BJJ was described as having 3 areas - sport, self defence, and vale tudo).

I think one of the reasons people think that old school black belts were better, was that the first BBs to leave Brazil and teach overseas were either Gracies, or really super high level guys. We never saw the average club BB that all clubs have, just the absolute cream of the crop. So compared to those guys, no-one is going to match up.

James
8/6/14 8:51 AM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Netcong, NJ
Sir Taps - I think today's black belts are as good on the mat as ones from years gone by, but for the majority, they have less knowledge about the self defence and vale tudo side of things (when I first started BJJ was described as having 3 areas - sport, self defence, and vale tudo).

I think one of the reasons people think that old school black belts were better, was that the first BBs to leave Brazil and teach overseas were either Gracies, or really super high level guys. We never saw the average club BB that all clubs have, just the absolute cream of the crop. So compared to those guys, no-one is going to match up.

James

This

8/6/14 11:38 AM
ECM
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SlapUsilly -
Sir Taps - I think today's black belts are as good on the mat as ones from years gone by, but for the majority, they have less knowledge about the self defence and vale tudo side of things (when I first started BJJ was described as having 3 areas - sport, self defence, and vale tudo).

James

This

Yep I'm tending to agree also Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:35 PM
SlapUsilly
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Netcong, NJ
ECM - 
SlapUsilly -

James

This

Yep I'm tending to agree also Phone Post 3.0

I'll add to this and say that not only were most of the guys that spread jiujitsu amongst the cream of the crop oftheir time, but they also held practically ALL the knowledge about the art and what it was about.

There's a lot I'd like to say, but it would derail the thread, so i'll just sum it up by saying:

1) BJJ has been crowdsourced..it doesn't belong to the Gracies anymore.

2) New ideas and bigger talent pool means a better overall art and better practicioners. 

3) Self defense is fine and dandy and good to know, but you can have your older, less agile years to refine. You think Helio spent his young years working on handgun disarments?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.